say 15 mins drive from the city for 1.4 M Bht, and you cannot buy

with or without company.,anyway.

So just rent, maximum 10K p.m. should get you what you want

with the tensions in Thailand so high,and nobody knowing what

is going to happen,my advice to new comers is just rent,then

you have not got to worry when everything goes tits up, just

pack a bag and move on.

regards Worgeordie

Words from the wise! B1.4 M will buy you a 2 bedroom box on a 13 x 18 block....if you're lucky! Rent.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep agree searching late last year could find very little in Hang Dong for less than 12K per Sq wah

5 years ago you could buy any number of blocks in the Hang Dong area for 8K per sq wah. Those days are gone.

There are empty houses for sale in many areas but there seems to be an obsession with building a new home rather than renovating.

There is a very good argument for just renting now because if the bubble bursts, as it well could, and you need to sell you will be very lucky to get your money back let alone any capital gain.

Yep agree searching late last year could find very little in Hang Dong for less than 12K per Sq wah

5 years ago you could buy any number of blocks in the Hang Dong area for 8K per sq wah. Those days are gone.

There are empty houses for sale in many areas but there seems to be an obsession with building a new home rather than renovating.

There is a very good argument for just renting now because if the bubble bursts, as it well could, and you need to sell you will be very lucky to get your money back let alone any capital gain.

I concur. This would be a terrible time to buy as prices are way over-inflated. Wait for the bubble to burst and there will be thousands of foreclosures and prices will come down.

if you are worried about loosing the house then I would advise you not to buy one . Never invest in Thailand anything that you are not willing and able to walk a way from . Plain simple ... I just invested in a new home with my Thai wife of ten years ..I know if the crap hits the fan Im out. We are making wills so that if she dies or I die everything will go to the other . Thats the best I want to do . I know I could do a 30 year lease but Im fine this way .. I have read many horror stories and Im sure there are some that come here buy a house and then find there bags on the steps . This is Thailand not the land of OZ

It is a basic law of nature that the noise level is proportionate to the distance from [any] city center. That's why I'm what I call a 'fringe person' and live a half hr from the city center.

It's like you have to inconvenience yourself a bit by going the extra mile away from the noise.......................that simple!!

I've found an "island of peace' in the 'ocean of noise' that urban Thailand is and I'm thankful for it, especially when I read the daily complaints on this forum about noisy neighbors.

Edited by jaideeguy

I cant see the bubble bursting

over the past few years CM has grown tremendously and continues to grow and now with the Chinese coming in droves do you guys really think the bubble will pop.

When I was searching late last year there were already TONS of bank forclosures that we saw that were reasonable prices but needed renovating but bare land was 12k almost everywhere we called or enquired, there are some places that are 10K near me now, but we all know thais never reduce their prices so I am unsure if there is going to be a bubble when CM looks like it is growing steadily.

It makes no difference to me cos Im not selling anyways but I still question if there is a going to be a bubble

if you are worried about loosing the house then I would advise you not to buy one . Never invest in Thailand anything that you are not willing and able to walk a way from . Plain simple ... I just invested in a new home with my Thai wife of ten years ..I know if the crap hits the fan Im out. We are making wills so that if she dies or I die everything will go to the other . Thats the best I want to do . I know I could do a 30 year lease but Im fine this way .. I have read many horror stories and Im sure there are some that come here buy a house and then find there bags on the steps . This is Thailand not the land of OZ

Makes no difference what iit is or what country it is in. I buy nothing I can not walk away from except for clothes. St my age I am to old to be owned by my possessions.

When I was young and raising a family I did because I was responsible for the kids. that is a different kettle of fish.

A good idea, but the house must be sold by a foreigner who inherits within 1 year.

You do know another will can be made which negates any current will......just saying.

You can't buy a house for yourself. However you can buy a house for a Thai person and then it's up to them if they let you live in it.

You can get a lease or some other type of protection and then they can't legally kick you out.

They can drive you out (make you so miserable you want to leave), or they can wait until you die. Sometimes they don't have to wait very long for a fatal motorcycle accident to happen or mysterious fatal illness to appear.

Or you can get the house in the name of a Thai lawyer and lose your money that way.

"Up to you," as they say.

Fellow farangs on their own in Thailand can not by a house, nor should they ask a lawyer or an other Thai person to buy a house with his money because they might eventually move him out even when holding a long lease because they sent a team around the house to demoralize his daily life, as a result he will move out, and this purchase money is totally lost.

Nevertheless, many farang's buy houses after marriage to a Thai girl, she becomes the house owner of course, however, prior to the house purchase one should check out the civil, social, and mental background of the wife and her family, and if positive buy the house, many farang's are doing this and have no problems.

Haha lots of cynical peeps here while you cannot buy a house legally in Thailand you can buy one for your LONG TERM partner and protect yourself 100% its just takes a bit of research but I personally know many guys here that live happily in their houses with their wives and kids without even an iota of fear they will be homeless any time soon or lose their home even if they were to split up.

99% of the posters here have no clue and are just spouting regurgitated crap and it just takes a little proper research to show you can control a property 100%

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Around here where I live 15 Km. outside Chiang Mai Center ( farm) land sells for just over 2k /Twah needs landfill if you want to build.

We bought 1.8 Rai with fish pond (100 Twah) 2 years ago 850 baht/Twah land fill 200k. build 2 houses on it location ( 18.87195 / 99.11056)

• Like 1

Mine is about 16klm east of CM, and is for sale, but you're about 2.6mil short. whistling.gif

My Thai wife and I bought ours almost 6 years ago. It's in joint name of her and my adopted 28 yr old Thai son. Our relationship is rock solid, but even if it "went south" tomorrow, I could walk away with no problems.

A couple of real estate agents I have spoken to have both told me that about 60% of their sales are people from BKK looking for a second home here, and that is driving up the prices.

I agree with those who suggest renting over buying. One house away from me was just rented for 10k a month, on a month to month basis, to a falang and his gf. Nice, two story, partially furnished. So they are available. Just have to look around.

You CAN own a house, just not the land that it is build on !

Old debate - done a million time on this forum.

The problem with houses is neighbors and neighborhoods.

More space around you means less noise you do not control and smells from Somchai's tire burning business. Geography will mean you get flooded or have no ground water to grow stuff.

Look at maps, walk the ground see what grows there, what are the locals like? Do you have a Thai "helper" that is buying for you etc.

In the case of purchasing a house: ( I had read so much strife of other members problems and predicaments) that I thought it through. I came up with the following idea. With being quite a bit senior to my wife I invested 331/3% as down payment . My wife and her grown up son pays 331/3% each. When I pass I will leave my wife enough money to be to be comfortable. I purchased a new motor cycle for her and we also have a new car for shopping and holidays.

I've said this before but I will never get married. If someone did I'd recommend a highly educated gal with a good job and regular hours.

She can buy a house with a loan in her name on the new house scheme. She needs about 50k baht down. She probably bought a car on the new car scheme.

She probably makes 30 - 50k pm. More like 30. You step in and put another 50k in the pot pm. Now you have a family income of 80k, and her house and car payments are no problem. You live just fine. You pay cash for your car and/or scooter in your own name.

Now if everything in the relationship goes sideways, you pack your suitcase and drive away.

I don't understand farangs who grab a gal with nothing, and pour their life savings into the relationship including a house. Maybe it works out but... One should be aware that he is now worth more dead than alive.

Unless she has a government job, she will need about 250-300k deposit.

10% of the house price + 6% for the compulsory life insurance + 20k land office loan registration fee + 20k in nickle and diming.

A 25k/month income will get her a 1.5Mbht home loan.

So your costs were a bit off, up front too low, monthly payments too high.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I don't understand farangs who grab a gal with nothing, and pour their life savings into the relationship including a house. Maybe it works out but... One should be aware that he is now worth more dead than alive.

I never understood that either. I always checked to see what assets a potential partner had before continuing with a relationship. Many farangs get involved with women with no savings, investments, real estate, vehicles, etc. Some are even insolvent. Who would do that in the West?

• Like 2

I never understood that either. I always checked to see what assets a potential partner had before continuing with a relationship. Many farangs get involved with women with no savings, investments, real estate, vehicles, etc. Some are even insolvent. Who would do that in the West?

You mean you don't understand that love is blind and you've never encountered the same, I don't believe you.

• Like 1

While many Thai girls I meet have substantial assets, they are often cash poor.

Money is quite hard to earn in Thailand (unless you are some sort of criminal).

Then the further problem arises, most of the land assets they have are nowhere near a place where a foreigner would want to live.

Get someone to take you to Baan Wang Tan. This is a beautiful Moobaan that has used houses for sale and many building sites to build your own. It is close to Chiang Mai very good location for the Immigration Office , Airport, Bus and Train Stations all about 10 t0 15 mins. Ther Moobaan is quiet, with mature trees. One end of the Moobaan is under the flight path to CM Airport but this does not bother my friend who lives there. Some rental places too.

I've said this before but I will never get married. If someone did I'd recommend a highly educated gal with a good job and regular hours.

She can buy a house with a loan in her name on the new house scheme. She needs about 50k baht down. She probably bought a car on the new car scheme.

She probably makes 30 - 50k pm. More like 30. You step in and put another 50k in the pot pm. Now you have a family income of 80k, and her house and car payments are no problem. You live just fine. You pay cash for your car and/or scooter in your own name.

Now if everything in the relationship goes sideways, you pack your suitcase and drive away.

Unless she has a government job, she will need about 250-300k deposit.

10% of the house price + 6% for the compulsory life insurance + 20k land office loan registration fee + 20k in nickle and diming.

A 25k/month income will get her a 1.5Mbht home loan.

So your costs were a bit off, up front too low, monthly payments too high.

Yes, I was thinking government job because I know a teacher with a master's degree and some sort of authority in a public school who makes 30k. She is buying right now a new small house and scraping up the 50k she needs to close the deal.

Perhaps the builder also padded the deal for her?