My Fair Man (instead Of My Fair Lady)

I have really enjoyed reading the post, especially the age one! :o

HOwever I would like to hear about how some of the girls in the group handle the difference with life experience.

I have a "kon rak", Thai lover, gick? not quite a boyfriend. I have known him for years as we worked together for 3 years. However it wasnt till a year ago that we became more then friends. Yes sort of a beautiful seduction story.

The sex is fantastic, he is nice, polite, and genuinely cares about me, ive met his family, etc.

He never ask for anyting and seems embarassed the few times I have offered to give him money, like once for a mirror on his motoribke that he broke on the way to my house.

But there is certainly such differences with experiences. DO i just accept it as how it is? And that is all it will ever be?

Do I try to get him to be more open minded about trying new things, like for example "ethnic food" or taking a trip? Do I take him for a coffee at Coffee Lovers or Black Canyon and pay for it?

I guess I want to know how some of the ladies sort of introduced NOn thai things and NON thai prices to their boyfriens, who may have also been a little less sophisticated then they were.

Please note im not claiming to be a pillar of sophistication, but I do want to be with somone at least curious about the world outside of Thailand.

Was there like a transition that was slow? How do you handle the difference in incomes if there is one? I dont mind to pay for a nice dinner but if it will make him uncomfortalbe to eat a 200 baht meal then its not possible. ............... IM not rich by any means but of course i make more then hinm..

Please no comments from the peanut gallery.

I have really enjoyed reading the post, especially the age one! :o

HOwever I would like to hear about how some of the girls in the group handle the difference with life experience.

I have a "kon rak", Thai lover, gick? not quite a boyfriend. I have known him for years as we worked together for 3 years. However it wasnt till a year ago that we became more then friends. Yes sort of a beautiful seduction story.

The sex is fantastic, he is nice, polite, and genuinely cares about me, ive met his family, etc.

He never ask for anyting and seems embarassed the few times I have offered to give him money, like once for a mirror on his motoribke that he broke on the way to my house.

But there is certainly such differences with experiences. DO i just accept it as how it is? And that is all it will ever be?

Do I try to get him to be more open minded about trying new things, like for example "ethnic food" or taking a trip? Do I take him for a coffee at Coffee Lovers or Black Canyon and pay for it?

I guess I want to know how some of the ladies sort of introduced NOn thai things and NON thai prices to their boyfriens, who may have also been a little less sophisticated then they were.

Please note im not claiming to be a pillar of sophistication, but I do want to be with somone at least curious about the world outside of Thailand.

Was there like a transition that was slow? How do you handle the difference in incomes if there is one? I dont mind to pay for a nice dinner but if it will make him uncomfortalbe to eat a 200 baht meal then its not possible. ............... IM not rich by any means but of course i make more then hinm..

Please no comments from the peanut gallery.

My bf who is Thai is very very small town. He had had very little exposure to farangs before I met him. I was his first girlfriend farang or Thai. He had never tried any type of farang food or been out of the South of Thailand. I spent a ton of time in his village with his family learning to eat and eventully love his mother's cooking ( I had a numb mouth for a week the first time I tried her curry) learning about thouse ###### birds they love so much etc. I think because he saw how I tired to adapt to his lifestyle he tried to do the same for me. The best is when a hi-so friend of his took us out for sushi!! He almost puked but hid it very well. The only problem is farang prices. He can not fathom spending more than 40 baht on a meal so when I needed to eat farang food he would either share with me or eat later. It was annyoing in the beggining but on special occasions we have gone out for nice dinners and he tries not to choke when paying for the bill. I guess it has just ended up being more enjoyable to go out for fried rice rather then sitting down to an expensive dinner. So not to be cliche but I guess its all about compromise. He has been to Korea and is coming to Canada when I go home to visit this summer. While it is an exciting opportunity I know he had never thought of ever leaving Thailand before he met me and it is overwhelming for him at times, so these are big steps for him. But where ever he is I will make sure we have a rice cooker! and have an emergency supply of mama. So to answer your question, it was a bit akward at first but it will work itself out. You guys will figure out what the other one is comfortable with and go from there. You can do things like get a coffee to go and bring it to him, if he likes it you can suggest one day that you go sit and have a coffee and see how he is hanging out there. Just ease in to it.

I guess I was lucky in that my fella loves trying new things & earned fairly good money in LOS (15-25k thb a month) so money wasn't a major issue for him but he also wasn't overly keen on buying farang food for 300baht when we could both eat 3 or 4 times for the same. He learned pretty quick if the farang food he was paying for was good or not :o As for trying non thai things, he will try anything at least once & likes the food that thai traditionally don't like (potatoes, cheese, bread & butter etc) but still eats thai every day. As meme said, I made the effort to try thai things even if the thoguh made me heave sometimes ( moldy crap in tom yum etc) but maybe your fella just isn't that adventurous so it's best not to push it. Most resteraunts in LOS serving farang food also sell thai so why force the issue. As for paying, well if it's a once a week thing then I would pay as he paid for all other food (thai, home shopping) so having meatballs & fish & chips was a treat but IMO paying for a coffee farang treat isn't a problem, if your dating then it's the same as going dutch at home. Too many people put emphasis on thai men not having money etc but lifes too short to stress on these things. If's he's taking the piss & borrowing money with out paying it back or expecting you to buy him things or fund his lifestyle then yes, by all means, worry but if your buying him a coffee or meal once in a while I wouldn't worry. I earn 3 times what my husband does in the UK, it doens't bother me or him, he contributes in other ways & I never married him for his money or ability to make it. I do alright in that department myself :D

I think Dive Mistress that it it is really hard to introduce a Thai person to food anything other that what they are used to. Generally speaking.... they might join you in a coffee at Black Canyon or whatever but Thai people never stray far from their own food. I think Europeans are much more open minded about food.

My husband is very similar to Boo's. He enjoys western food, eats it often and is very adventurous in his tastes. It took him a few years to work up the courage to try sushi, but now that he has, he loves it. His entire family is quite open minded about food and often orders western food from our menu.

My husband's favorite foods include sauerkraut and bratwurst, sushi, and steak. He will try anything once and generally likes most things. Cost is not really an issue to him as he realizes that he must pay more for unusual things. He feels that, if its good, its worth the extra cost.

My husband feels very strongly that a person in a relationship must be open to trying their partner's food, he feels that an unwillingness to even try their food is a sign of a mind closed off to all aspects of their partner's culture.

anon will try anything once but yesterday on the beach my kids did marshmellows on the fire... well... that was definately in the class of blaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!! for him.... he's tried macaroni and cheese, cakes of various sorts, etc... he will try anything or do anything once and is more adventurous then me in doing (i am more in to trying food, not adventures)....

humous also is on the icky list.... but has had to try morroccan/israeli cooking at friends often so is getting used to it... its personality as well as background....