Extension of stay to visit family

A friend is here on a retirement extension of stay. His wife is Thai and, although she possesses a Thai ID and Thai passport, prefers, for reasons of her own, to stay via her US passport. He tells me she just received her second consecutive one year extension of stay for visiting family. This required no financial disclosures.

She does her 90 day reporting, just like him.

I was aware of the 90 day visa to visit family but not a one year option. Would not this be a better solution for someone like me, vs. the retirement visa/extension of stay?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by SpokaneAl

When applying for a 12 month extension to live with spouse

a foreign lady does not need to show financials while a foreign man does.

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

• Like 1

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

I understand this applies for local immigration office but what about Thai embassy - does it need the lesser requirement? For instance, can Kor Ror 2, letter from Thai bank, and the presence of Thai wife for interview be omitted?

A Rough Guide.

OR.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

I understand this applies for local immigration office but what about Thai embassy - does it need the lesser requirement? For instance, can Kor Ror 2, letter from Thai bank, and the presence of Thai wife for interview be omitted?

The very best that could be hoped for would be a 12 month multi entry visa requiring border runs every ninety days. These visas are virtually impossible to obtain.

Edited by Sceptict11

The very best that could be hoped for would be a 12 month multi entry visa requiring border runs every ninety days. These visas are virtually impossible to obtain.

I am flying to Singapore next month for Thai Embassy, Singapore. Is the multi-entry visa (marriage) still available? blink.png

I am flying to Singapore next month for Thai Embassy, Singapore. Is the multi-entry visa (marriage) still available? Posted Image 

Mixed reports about Singapore. I would not suggest going there.

Savannakhet Laos yes.

I am flying to Singapore next month for Thai Embassy, Singapore. Is the multi-entry visa (marriage) still available? blink.png

From memory, I recollect that Singapore have a history of not issuing Multiple entry Non Immigrant Visas to non Singapore residents.

Mixed reports about Singapore. I would not suggest going there.

Savannakhet Laos yes.

Most grateful & greatly valued for your wee comment! I just realise that therefore I may like to take the inexpensive flight from Singapore to Kuala Lumpua instead. I hope KL Thai embassy do still make the issues for multiple entry visa for marriage?

From memory, I recollect that Singapore have a history of not issuing Multiple entry Non Immigrant Visas to non Singapore residents.

Yes, I believe your memory is correct. sad.png So I am considering to take a inexpensive flight to Kuala Lumpua from Singapore where Thai embassy can do the multiple entry visa for marriage.

See http://www.thai-consulate.net/thai-embassy-in-kuala-lumpur.html Hope they keep a word for that! blink.png

KL has not done them for several months now. That is why I mentioned Savannakhet. Penang is a maybe but you need to check with an agent there to get the latest news.

Single entry marriage visa at Singapore will probably be my panic button. However I shall bear in mind about the Penang possibility next time with much thanks. (Savannakhet is still unknown to me - Laos?)

Screen shot. Hit post button to fast.

Ubonjoe, Thank you for posting this. My daughter has a Thai mother and will be coming to Thailand on a non-O visa on the basis of visiting her Thai mother. Once here, it appears that she may be able to extend that for a year based on the 2.23 section of the Police Order in the thumbnail. That is great news. Assuming that she is able to get the one year extension, will she then be allowed to also work in Thailand? Thanks for all your good informative posts!

Ubonjoe, Thank you for posting this.  My daughter has a Thai mother and will be coming to Thailand on a non-O visa on the basis of visiting her Thai mother.  Once here, it appears that she may be able to extend that for a year based on the 2.23 section of the Police Order in the thumbnail.  That is great news.  Assuming that she is able to get the one year extension, will she then be allowed to also work in Thailand?  Thanks for all your good informative posts!

In order to work she will need to establish her Thai nationality by getting listed in a house book and getting a ID card.

Was her birth registered at a Thai embassy or consulate?

If not the first thing she will have do is get a Thai birth certificate.

Ubonjoe, Thank you for posting this. My daughter has a Thai mother and will be coming to Thailand on a non-O visa on the basis of visiting her Thai mother. Once here, it appears that she may be able to extend that for a year based on the 2.23 section of the Police Order in the thumbnail. That is great news. Assuming that she is able to get the one year extension, will she then be allowed to also work in Thailand? Thanks for all your good informative posts!

In order to work she will need to establish her Thai nationality by getting listed in a house book and getting a ID card.

She was born in the US but her US birth certificate plainly says that her mother is Thai. Never registered in Thailand. How would she get a Thai birth certificate? Will she need that before being able to get in her mothers house book and ID card? Thank you!

Ubonjoe, Thank you for posting this.  My daughter has a Thai mother and will be coming to Thailand on a non-O visa on the basis of visiting her Thai mother.  Once here, it appears that she may be able to extend that for a year based on the 2.23 section of the Police Order in the thumbnail.  That is great news.  Assuming that she is able to get the one year extension, will she then be allowed to also work in Thailand?  Thanks for all your good informative posts!

She was born in the US but her US birth certificate plainly says that her mother is Thai.  Never registered in Thailand.  How would she get a Thai birth certificate?  Will she need that before being able to get in her mothers house book and ID card?  Thank you!
She will need to have a Thai birth certificate to get on her mothers house book.

By registering her birth at the Thai embassy where she was born is the normal way of getting her a birth certificate. An example is here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

Her birth registration can be done here at the consular affairs division of the MFA in Bangkok. They will send the required documents to the embassy where she was born for them to do the registration.

blah, blah, blah... too many quotes...

She will need to have a Thai birth certificate to get on her mothers house book.
By registering her birth at the Thai embassy where she was born is the normal way of getting her a birth certificate. An example is here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

Her birth registration can be done here at the consular affairs division of the MFA in Bangkok. They will send the required documents to the embassy where she was born for them to do the registration.

I believe that I had read that MFA will require authentication of the b/c by US Dept of State. I am trying to get that done now so that it may expedite matters later. Thanks again!