Honda CR- Z Hybrid,

Ace of Pop

Some import tuner mag ripped wout it's hybrid engine, dropped in a KA20 and not only had a massive increase in power, but also MPG...

To me it just misses the mark on so many levels, especially since it was developed due to the love of the CRX, which is now loved as a tuner's car more than it's high mpg rating...

Strange Small Boy, im miffed.cheesy.gif

Considering your distaste in all things automotive in Thailand Iam curious as to why you even post in the motoring section?

Or do you just get your jolly's by slagging off all vehicles and having a dig at those that drive them ?

Edited by Spoonman

Is there any vehicle in Thailand that you like AOP as you seem to constantly post negatively about all.

If a car hasn't got 500+bhp it's not good enough for him and his big-I-am ego. He clearly has never driven a CRZ.

Now the Kids have left the Table............ As i was saying.a Small Engine to start with, the seats are excellent comfort wise, but no handle over the door to pull you out of the Bucket Seat. Everything to Honda build quality, but how does it fare in the Market Place as a Hybrid. at 2 Mill Bht . ??.. The Post was directed towards IMHO he of Factual Replies really not weird folk. The Prius seems to be the Winner to me.coffee1.gif

The CR-Z has it's moment when it was first released - back then everyone in TH was so starved of something unique and fun for a 'reasonable' price, and even though it was underpowered, and has some odd themes (eco button in a 'sports' car? lol), in the absence of any direct competition it did stand out.

Then Toyota launched the 86GT. Game over tongue.png

It's biggest problem is that it doesn't target the actual audience.

Edited by IMHO

Why Honda released this car in the Thai market in the first place is a miracle to me., they market it as a compact sport hybrid and even dare to describe it as follows on their website:

The perfected match between sporty and environmental-friendliness

A super sporty hybrid coupe that responds to fun and enjoyable driving performance every day.

"super sporty hybrid", must be the oxymoron word of the year.

The 86GT is indeed much more fun (only the 6 speed manual) for a 'reasonable' price. Still a rarity on the road.

Who is according you it's "target audience" ?

The CR-Z has it's moment when it was first released - back then everyone in TH was so starved of something unique and fun for a 'reasonable' price, and even though it was underpowered, and has some odd themes (eco button in a 'sports' car? lol), in the absence of any direct competition it did stand out.

Edited by sjonburi
  • Like 1

Good question :) Answer is, I don't know, and I'm not sure they do either.

They knew the car would initially appeal to the same demo the old CR-X/Del Sol appealed to, but then they packaged it wrong. On the first media drives, they had a marketing guy riding in the passenger seat constantly trying to adjust your thinking... selling you the idea that eco is cool, it's not about outright speed, it's about intangible emotions etc. All the while, everyone was just thinking "it's gutless", "the electric steering is awful", "it feels like Prius", "do they really think this is a successor to the CR-X?" etc. But at the same time, still thinking "what can I compare it to? nothing really, so on that basis it does well".

Bottom line is, the market expected a sporty, nimble handling car. Honda expect they would be able to re-educate their potential buyers. Good thing is, Toyota didn't make the same mistakes, and now we can all just forget the CR-Z exists.

Took My Eye, then my Heart Dropped i spotted Hybrid !!.. Eco Button is a Sports Car makes me chuckle too. Another Cruze Type Flop, The Selesman said.Be nice with a 2.0 Civic engine at about Fiesta Price.thumbsup.gif

I poked this through google translate and it made even less sense.

• Like 2

he of Factual Replies may not make an appearance and this being an open forum I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

To my eyes it looks ugly, not sports car sexy. Like a lot of Japanese 'Sports cars' it isn't. It's a novelty car for city folk. The price is a joke considering it cost about the same to make as a Brio! Hybrid would be a bit more.

To me it's Just Another Little Turdy Car that was made by a company that is very good at making JALT Cars....the same company that built the NSX....a real 'super sporty'. Sad isn't it!

Why Honda released this car in the Thai market in the first place is a miracle to me., they market it as a compact sport hybrid and even dare to describe it as follows on their website:

A super sporty hybrid coupe that responds to fun and enjoyable driving performance every day.

The 86GT is indeed much more fun (only the 6 speed manual) for a 'reasonable' price. Still a rarity on the road.

I think the sporty hybrid bit comes from the fact that CRZ is the first (and as yet only) hybrid available with a manual gearbox. Unfortunately only the auto is available here so admittedly that dulls the impact. I've driven the manual version and it drives and handles very well, fun and sporty but not high-performance. I'd say the target audience is for those that want a hybrid that offers some sporty credentials. In that it does a pretty decent job, plus it's a very handsome, well equipped and finished product.

Sure the 86GT is a great little car but it's not a hybrid so it's a totally different more conventional market sector. It's also Half a Million Baht more expensive to buy. For that you could get the CRZ Mugen manual, then you've a closer comparison and a definite rarity.

01-honda-cr-z-mugen-rz-628.jpg

he of Factual Replies may not make an appearance and this being an open forum I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

To my eyes it looks ugly, not sports car sexy. Like a lot of Japanese 'Sports cars' it isn't. It's a novelty car for city folk. The price is a joke considering it cost about the same to make as a Brio! Hybrid would be a bit more.

To me it's Just Another Little Turdy Car that was made by a company that is very good at making JALT Cars....the same company that built the NSX....a real 'super sporty'. Sad isn't it!

The Brio probably costs the same as the Nissan March or Mazda 2 to make, those all fit your JALT class.

The NSX would have been a different matter entirely.

Edited by b19bry

...."super sporty hybrid"...It's not an oxymoron...they do exist smile.png

"Unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor show, the Porsche 918 Spyder can reach 60mph in less than 2.8 seconds proving its racing credentials. But the sleek sports car can also do 72 miles per gallon and is almost a third more fuel efficient than the Toyota's popular hybrid model - the Prius"

"BMW has finally taken the wraps off its much-teased hybrid supercar, which has a top speed of 155mph and is capable of doing 113 miles per gallon. The futuristic i8 is the car manufacturer's 'most advanced' sports car"

post-60959-0-73497500-1385511249_thumb.j

post-60959-0-84008900-1385511461_thumb.j

"Unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor show, the Porsche 918 Spyder can reach 60mph in less than 2.8 seconds proving its racing credentials. But the sleek sports car can also do 72 miles per gallon and is almost a third more fuel efficient than the Toyota's popular hybrid model - the Prius"

"BMW has finally taken the wraps off its much-teased hybrid supercar, which has a top speed of 155mph and is capable of doing 113 miles per gallon. The futuristic i8 is the car manufacturer's 'most advanced' sports car"

Hehe, but these are actual fast cars :) The CR-Z isn't much faster than a base model VIOS ;)

Hehe, but these are actual fast cars smile.png The CR-Z isn't much faster than a base model VIOS wink.png

...they also cost a 'bit' more...biggrin.png

• Like 1

Took My Eye, then my Heart Dropped i spotted Hybrid !!.. Eco Button is a Sports Car makes me chuckle too. Another Cruze Type Flop, The Selesman said.Be nice with a 2.0 Civic engine at about Fiesta Price.thumbsup.gif

I poked this through google translate and it made even less sense.

Dripping Taps do have problems understanding thingscheesy.gif

The Brio probably costs the same as the Nissan March or Mazda 2 to make, those all fit your JALT class.

The NSX would have been a different matter entirely.

Maybe I could have phrased that better! The NSX was hand built in comparison to the JALT class.