GF's brother stole my camera

username1

In pawn shop already?

Camera bye bye.

Sorry, but the best you can get out of this very unfortunate situation is some punishment for the thief.

Starting with a dam good old A@# whipping,,thumbsup.gif

Then he'll bring the rest of the husbands brothers around and show you how Thais take care of business.

If I was serious about the girl, I'd figure around US$600 was a cheap enough way to get rid of the bistard forever. Then I'd go to the pawn shop, buy it back and never let the guy in the house again.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who thinks he has any responsibility, financially or otherwise, for anyone but his wife and kids is off his head. In saying that, if the wifes mum and dad are old and you are OK financially, it is nice to give them something now and again.

Quite wrong. I would be "off my head" if I thought as you do and conversely, you would be "off your head" if you thought as I do.

you have MANY replies!

my advice is DONT involve the police!!! he could get punished and (if he is the kind of guy that 'steals' from his own sisters boyfriend and actually pawns the goods for cash for himself, then it was no mistake. its pure intention bad action.

I WOULD NOT WANT THIS GUY HATING ME FOR SENDING THE POLICE TO HIM !!!

- he sounds like the kind of person that might get you wiped off the face of the earth (via his friends) if you call the police to him !!

i would allow his sister to sort it out for you.

call it her "test".

see how she acts in the situation.

i would heavily judge this situation as a preview to what 'family life' could be if you ever settle down with this girl.

if I was you, I would change the dynamic of this relationship to casual. because it could mean future problems and issues if you end up permanently with this girl.

i do appreciate that her brothers actions is NOT a reflection of your girlfriend, but its definitely something that will plague you in the future.

also: he may call his "friends" to 'teach you a lesson' if you ever had an argument with your girlfriend and she tells her family all the bad things that she believes you have done.

personally, its a GREAT preview into the family.

the more you involve with this girl, the more her family will be more apparent and near to your doings.

about the camera: I would ask your gf to get as much money from him as he has.. and then you contribute the rest adn buy back the camera.

between you you can buy it back.

if sure he hasnt spent the whole lot already!!

so,, get back what you can and add the remaining money yourself.

act nice to him, show him you are a "wise nice man" maybe he learns something. (or perhaps he doesnt!!) Lol!

dont go to the police.

and,,, start the beginning of the end of your relationship with this girl and find a new girlfriend.

(basically,,, dont allow yourself to fall any more deeply in love with her). be on your guard and protect yourself.

if you plan to move (with her) to your home country, then you will be somewhat better off because you will never have to see or deal with her brother again.

and she will get more westernized and more gap from her family.

that is the only way I can see things be ok for you.

anyway. dont force him to buy back the whole camera. just get from him what he has remaining.

People are advising "let the girlfriend handle it" and "do not involve the police". In the opening post, it was stated that the girlfriend was threatening police involvement.

What would I do? I would go to the pawnshop and retrieve the camera, shame the boy as much as possible, and have no further involvement with him, ever.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

All the suggestions you need. All the combinations and permutations as they say. Let us know what you choose

and how it turns out. I would just swing by the pawn shop let them know it was stolen and you want to get it back

for the price they paid. He only got a few baht on the cost for sure. They know it was stolen. If they want to involve

the police it is up to them. I would not. Tell the GF he is no longer welcome, move on lesson leaned.

• Like 1

my thai wife says get police involved ,, tell brother your G/F lose face big time ,, do not help her family until this is resolved ,,,,she says this type of behaviour is totally unacceptable and is criminal ,, he has stolen the camera and pawning it is a second offence ....

give an inch and they will take you to the cleaners .

He helped you move, so he probably figures that he deserved some kind of gratitude.

GF paid him 2000 baht for 3 hour job (and car from his workplace), more than reasonable I think.

Friend of mine had a similar issue with his laptop some years ago.

Turned out that the "brother" actually was the husband. sad.png

Haha, my paranoia has already dealt with this issue, but yea, started to doubt if something like this was happening. He is real, younger (18), brother.

Give him a week to return your camera, making clear that is non-negotiable and that failure to comply will result in him becoming an ex-brother-in-law as far as you are concerned - not welcome in your house due to risk of theft; refuse to go anywhere that he is likely to be etc. When the deadline is passed repurchase your camera, if you are still interested in it, and implement the sanctions strictly. I had a similar situation with someone I was helping to educate 10 years ago, although not one of my wife's relations. Write him off. You'll be glad you did it.

The thing is, I (actually I haven't really had to do or say anything) already gave him that week when he was just saying that my GF forget the camera. Then after he told that he took it and pawned it, she already gave him one week. And even after that one week she still gave him 1 more day, because he was begging that. That 1 more day is now gone.

I think you should make it the girlfriends responsibility to negotiate with him. Make it clear to her that if the camera is not returned all extra payments such as for makeup and family stop until the amount has been made up.

She feels that it's her responsibility and is terribly sorry. She's too pretty to make up and she don't have typical family relationships and she doesn't really contact to them at all, only sometimes to her brother.

OP, just go to the pawn shop and buy it back (if it is there) and chalk the whole thing up to experience.

After that, think long and hard about whether or not you want to stay with the gf, or in Thailand for that matter. Get used to this type of behavior because you will be dealing with it as long as you are here, no matter what gf you have. Thais are Thais.

First part, agreed. Second part, what the f!? I don't really see why I should think long and hard about leaving my GF or Thailand because someone stole something? There's a lot of people ready to abuse you, no matter where you go on this planet, that doesn't mean I shouldn't go anywhere. People are people, suicide my only option?

where are you from ?

Interested to know why you are asking, I'm from Finland.

you have MANY replies!

my advice is DONT involve the police!!! he could get punished and (if he is the kind of guy that 'steals' from his own sisters boyfriend and actually pawns the goods for cash for himself, then it was no mistake. its pure intention bad action.

I WOULD NOT WANT THIS GUY HATING ME FOR SENDING THE POLICE TO HIM !!!

- he sounds like the kind of person that might get you wiped off the face of the earth (via his friends) if you call the police to him !!

i would allow his sister to sort it out for you.

call it her "test".

see how she acts in the situation.

i would heavily judge this situation as a preview to what 'family life' could be if you ever settle down with this girl.

if I was you, I would change the dynamic of this relationship to casual. because it could mean future problems and issues if you end up permanently with this girl.

i do appreciate that her brothers actions is NOT a reflection of your girlfriend, but its definitely something that will plague you in the future.

also: he may call his "friends" to 'teach you a lesson' if you ever had an argument with your girlfriend and she tells her family all the bad things that she believes you have done.

personally, its a GREAT preview into the family.

the more you involve with this girl, the more her family will be more apparent and near to your doings.

about the camera: I would ask your gf to get as much money from him as he has.. and then you contribute the rest adn buy back the camera.

between you you can buy it back.

if sure he hasnt spent the whole lot already!!

so,, get back what you can and add the remaining money yourself.

act nice to him, show him you are a "wise nice man" maybe he learns something. (or perhaps he doesnt!!) Lol!

dont go to the police.

and,,, start the beginning of the end of your relationship with this girl and find a new girlfriend.

(basically,,, dont allow yourself to fall any more deeply in love with her). be on your guard and protect yourself.

if you plan to move (with her) to your home country, then you will be somewhat better off because you will never have to see or deal with her brother again.

and she will get more westernized and more gap from her family.

that is the only way I can see things be ok for you.

anyway. dont force him to buy back the whole camera. just get from him what he has remaining.

Moving back to my home country with my GF would be only way things be ok for me? What is wrong with this forum 555. I don't know what's your experience in Thailand, but I kind of feel sorry if something have made your attitude towards this country so negative. Thailand for sure have those side I hate also, those sides that sometimes drives me crazy - but so have my home country. For me it's still perfectly clear if I want to stay here or not. Good things easily outweigh the bad.

People are advising "let the girlfriend handle it" and "do not involve the police". In the opening post, it was stated that the girlfriend was threatening police involvement.

What would I do? I would go to the pawnshop and retrieve the camera, shame the boy as much as possible, and have no further involvement with him, ever.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you for reading my original post! Yes, police was completely GF's idea and she is the one who is handling the situation, maybe asking bit of advice from me once in a while. And I agree with your advice.

And then quick update where we are now.

My girlfriend went to police station and report him. Police tried to tell her to talk with her brother, not to put her own family to jail, but she told them that she tried already. They agreed with police that BIB will not make any papers yet, since after warrant is made, it can't be taken back (is this true?). Anyway, police told her that they will try to contact her brother and hopefully he get scared and go take the camera back and we all can take group photos together.

If not, my GF was actually ready to put her brother in jail (he have done similar things to her before), but I told her that just better to go get the camera back and tell police to go get coffee. No need to put anyone to jail because of one stolen camera. And anyway, it's only 1600 baht to get it back, so far brothers word can be trusted.

You ave to see it this way: It cost you only 20 000 baht to get rid of him forever.

Think about it, if he get sick, car accident, cancer, ......  your GF or her family can not ask you for money.

Cruel. Even I wouldn't stoop that low.

I can show who I am when someone is in need and not bitter and vengeful. And my wife would never forgive me with such innate hatred.

Further, you seek the family to pay. Shame on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

And then quick update where we are now.

My girlfriend went to police station and report him. Police tried to tell her to talk with her brother, not to put her own family to jail, but she told them that she tried already. They agreed with police that BIB will not make any papers yet, since after warrant is made, it can't be taken back (is this true?). Anyway, police told her that they will try to contact her brother and hopefully he get scared and go take the camera back and we all can take group photos together.

If not, my GF was actually ready to put her brother in jail (he have done similar things to her before), but I told her that just better to go get the camera back and tell police to go get coffee. No need to put anyone to jail because of one stolen camera. And anyway, it's only 1600 baht to get it back, so far brothers word can be trusted.

The police here can play a role....they do it quite well too of warning someone that their behaviour could lead to very serious consequences if repeated. It is not necescary to send him to jail and unless he has a real history with them they will not want to. Takes some of the pressure off the girlfriend. Police often here fulfill a mediation role which does not often happen in the west.

I think it is good that you had your girlfriend act on this. However, I would honestly still be careful and not push this too far. You never know what reaction, you can get from the brother or other family members.

I would either go and pay the 1.600 THB myself to get the camera back or simply forget about it. A guy here said forget about the camera and you are rid of the brother forever. In some situations people owing you something, can help you get rid of them. And in some situations it can be best to do that. Anyway, good luck with it. But be careful, because things can blow up very easy and unexpected in this country.