Volunteer opportunity in computers/tech/IT?

kaiyoma

Hi all,

I'll be in Chiang Mai until early January (at the earliest) and I will have a few weeks (starting in mid-December) with nothing much to do, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any volunteer opportunities in tech or IT. I am a software developer by trade, but I also have experience with building/fixing computers and networking. I imagine maybe some schools could use tech support or help fixing their computers, but I'm open to any project that would genuinely help people. Any ideas out there?

Well it sounds like something you'd need to plan in advance (note that this English version came from the Swedish Thai Embassy website, but I daresay the same rules apply):

Non-Immigrant "O" Volunteer

1. REQUIREMENT

This Type of visa is for a person who wished to work as a volunteer with an organization in Thailand.

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months after the arrival date and MUST not be damage.

2. A copy of Passport (The page (s) that shows your photo, name, date and place of birth and the expiration date of passport)-The Embassy do not provide coping service please bring your own copies.

3. Visa application form completely filled out.

4. Two photographs, size 4cm. x 6cm. bright background, MUST not be taken more than 6 months and MUST not be your homemade photographs

5. A Letter from an organization in Thailand indicating position, qualification, responsibilities and period of stay in Thailand

6. Document of company/organization as followed:

- Business/organization registration and license

- List of shareholders

- Company/organization‘s profile

- Details of business/organization operation

7. CV-employment certificate or education record

8. Criminal Record issued by Rikspolisstyrelsen (Utdrag ur belastningsregistret) original in English. Please check www.polisen.se (the verification must be issued within the past 3 months)

9. The Embassy does not provide copying or printing service. Please always bring your own copies. The Embassy reserves the right to keep all yours document as reference after processing your visa application

3. VISA FEE

• 520 SEK
  • Visa fee paid in CASH ONLY when submitting application.
  • Visa fee may be changed without prior notice

4. NOTE

• Do not apply visa earlier than 3 months before your arrival date to Thailand.
  • The Embassy will not return the fee paid for visa application in case the applicants apply visa too early than 3 months so that the applicants MUST check period of stay and arrival date to Thailand by yourself carefully.

5. VALIDITY OF A VISA

• The validity of a visa is 3 months.
  • The Embassy issued visa from the date you hand-in visa application.

6. PERIOD OF STAY

Upon arrival, travellers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days (subject to the discretion of the Immigration Officer at the immigration check-point)

7. EXTENSION OF STAY

Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located at Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or at http://www.immigration.go.th). The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

8. VISA PROCESSING TIME:

• Applying in person or representatives:- Application will be processed and ready in 4 days (For example, if you apply a visa o Monday, your visa can be collected on Thursday afternoon excepted some certain countries and other type of visa)

Collection date for visa is specified on a payment receipt. Always bring the receipt and when collecting a visa.

• Applying through travel Agents:- Applications will be processed in 5 days
  • The Embassy in Stockholm DOES NOT neither accepted nor returns visa application by post. Please contact the Royal Thai Consulate for more information www.thaiconsulate.se if you want to apply visa by post

9. VISA OPENING/COLLECTING HOURS:

• Visa applications Monday-Friday between 9.00-12.00 hours
  • Collecting passport with issue visa Monday-Friday between 14.00-16.00 hours
  • Closed on Thai and Swedish Publish holidays. Please check holidays list before visiting.

10. REMARKS

• The Embassy will not process an un-completed visa application.
  • Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.
  • The Embassy will not return the visa fee paid after hand in your visa application
  • Type of visa cannot be change after hand in your visa application.
  • The applicants are fully responsible for choosing and submitting correct type of visa according to your purposes and period of stay to Thailand.
  • After collecting your passport with issued visa, the applicant MUST check type of visa carefully and make sure it accords with your purposes and period of stay to Thailand.
  • If there are any doubts, you MUST raise it immediately with the staff. Otherwise the applicants will take all the consequences by themselves.
  • Visa requirement and information can be changed without prior notice.

Sounds to me like a monumental pain in the arse, so I'd just ask around when you're there and see if any little old ladies need taking to the shops or something.

I'm already volunteering in Chiang Mai with a reputable organization with only a tourist visa and I've had no issues. I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about visas. Let me take care of the visa situation, you guys tell me about the volunteer opportunities. smile.png

I wonder how reputable is an organization is that illegally brings in volunteers and gives them a false sense of security regarding working without the proper documentation?

A reputable organization should have no problem supplying a potential volunteer with the paperwork to get a Non-Immigrant O visa. For a legally registered organization it might take them all of 15 minutes to put this together for you and the only expense is the actual visa fee. It is also a very simple matter for a reputable organization to get you a work permit. A quick medical check up, a copy of a few pages in your passport and 10 minutes at the department of Labour (you are not even needed for the last part). If an organization is unable to provide you with a work permit, then they may not be legitimate.

I realize you don't care about whether you are working in Thailand legally or not, but others who come accross this topic might want to be better informed when looking for an organization to volunteer for.

Good luck in your search.

I'm already volunteering in Chiang Mai with a reputable organization with only a tourist visa and I've had no issues. I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about visas. Let me take care of the visa situation, you guys tell me about the volunteer opportunities. smile.png

Not really a good idea to announce you are working illegally in public. wink.png

Whether you mean it to be or not, it sounds like not a very pleasant attitude to be doing volunteer work - or getting away with it if you have to explain to some authority.

I appreciate your responses about visas and all your feedback has been duly noted. I will either get a work visa or assume the risk of volunteering while on a tourist visa. Your concern is very nice and has been legitimately enlightening, but I'll take care of myself. Thanks guys. smile.png

Now that that's out of the way, does anyone know any opportunities? I should also add that it doesn't have to be an organization, it could just be an individual who needs help with a website or something like that.

I appreciate your responses about visas and all your feedback has been duly noted. I will either get a work visa or assume the risk of volunteering while on a tourist visa. Your concern is very nice and has been legitimately enlightening, but I'll take care of myself. Thanks guys. smile.png

Now that that's out of the way, does anyone know any opportunities? I should also add that it doesn't have to be an organization, it could just be an individual who needs help with a website or something like that.

My advice is, first make inquiries regarding obtaining an appropriate visa and work permit, then come back and ask the same questions again.