digital map of CM area

fredericko

You could try one of several apps that download the entire map up front. The paid ones from Garmin etc. should allow for calculating routes too. The free ones probably don't and tend to have poor interfaces and not show much detail when zoomed out which is annoying. The maps will vary too, so check what they have for CM before buying.

Google maps caches maps but I wouldn't rely on it to have the map you need when you need it, which is a shame because otherwise it's excellent. It also needs a connection in order to calculate routes.

Someone please correct me if I'm out of date on this.

Personally I'd just do it on a phone rather than a dedicated unit.

If using an Android tablet Navigator (by Mapfactor) or Route 66 can be downloaded from the Google play store (you will find it on the tablet). You can then download maps of Thailand. Both show all the roads and lanes in Chiang Mai and will either 'follow' you or you can get them to direct you to where you want to go.

Must use WiFi to download the apps and maps, the files are big. Both then work fine offline using the GPS in the tablet. If you don't have your own WiFi call in for a coffee somewhere and download the files there.

Neither are brilliant for walking, they will show where you are (even if off the road) but neither have footpaths etc.

Personally prefer Navigator.

• I've down load and installed Mapfactor Navigator. I assume now I have to buy their map for South East Asia, right?

Don't buy, just download the free map of Thailand - and any other countries areas you want.

Tap 'map manager' and tap the left hand side 'download maps'. These are the free OSM maps.

You could try one of several apps that download the entire map up front. The paid ones from Garmin etc. should allow for calculating routes too. The free ones probably don't and tend to have poor interfaces and not show much detail when zoomed out which is annoying. The maps will vary too, so check what they have for CM before buying.

Google maps caches maps but I wouldn't rely on it to have the map you need when you need it, which is a shame because otherwise it's excellent. It also needs a connection in order to calculate routes.

Someone please correct me if I'm out of date on this.

Personally I'd just do it on a phone rather than a dedicated unit.

Ever notice the Google Maps odd name for all the soi in Thailand? Google calls it an "alley"