True move H speeds.

ultimate weapon

I know there are possibly 100s of threads on this but i need to start a new one cos well i tested mine out i used the unlimited one day package i don't know if they have a limit like say 1Gb before the speed drops but seriously the speed really sucks. On speedtest i think i can get around 4mbps in some locations in bangkok i have not tested it elsewhere in thailand. The thing is this speed doesn't seem to be constant around bkk. When i use a download accelerator to download it in sathorn where my hotel is at 4mbps you should expect at least i think around 500kbps speed especially with a download accelerator but i was getting i think around less than 100kbps downloading a youtube video.

That's worse than the wifi provided by the hotel.

As if hotel wifi speeds aren't bad enough you get a cell phone with internet connection to avoid it and it's also slow.

My cell phone that i used was a samsung galaxy note so it can easily hit HSDPA speeds.

The speed does suck. Everybody in Bangkok has a smartphone, and isp cant handle the number of devices. Lucky if you are connected, in Pattaya True is often completly down.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No wonder i see so many ppl talking about hotel wifi. Hey forget about having cell phone internet connection since it's more or less so bad in thailand. Should be counting your lucky stars if you can actually post on a forum like this never mind about videos and phone/video calls which is the point of a fast internet connection. After all if the internet was just to post a bunch of letters on a forum you wouldn't need anything faster than a 56kb phone connection.

• Like 1

TrueMove H has the most coverage, the fewest customers and a decent infrastructure, although not necessarily off each and every (~ 11,500 - 13,000) CAT tower. Obviously many of those are in remote/rural areas with limited uplink, which is also shared with voice, which has priority.

That said, with a properly configured 850 MHz-compatible device, a newer TrueMove H SIM, subscription to a real 3G plan, in a major metropolitan area (provincial capital) TrueMove H should reliably deliver (at a minimum) 3 ~ 5 Mega-bits per second downstream and and 1 Mega-bits per second upstream. At least that has been my experience over a few years in a number of diverse locations including Bangkok. I have driven from/between Hua Hin, Bangkok, Chantaburi, Chiang Mai via many routes, and always had decent performance with TrueMove H.

It seems like most issues I trouble-shoot involve devices which do not support 850 MHz, have improperly configured APNs, have old SIMs, still have the "old" TrueMove network, or have not subscribed to a real 3G plan which offers HSDPA.

Edited by lomatopo

TrueMove H has the most coverage, the fewest customers and a decent infrastructure, although not necessarily off each and every (~ 11,500 - 13,000) CAT tower. Obviously many of those are in remote/rural areas with limited uplink, which is also shared with voice, which has priority.

That said, with a properly configured 850 MHz-compatible device, a newer TrueMove H SIM, subscription to a real 3G plan, in a major metropolitan area (provincial capital) TrueMove H should reliably deliver (at a minimum) 3 ~ 5 Mega-bits per second downstream and and 1 Mega-bits per second upstream. At least that has been my experience over a few years in a number of diverse locations including Bangkok. I have driven from/between Hua Hin, Bangkok, Chantaburi, Chiang Mai via many routes, and always had decent performance with TrueMove H.

It seems like most issues I trouble-shoot involve devices which do not support 850 MHz, have improperly configured APNs, have old SIMs, still have the "old" TrueMove network, or have not subscribed to a real 3G plan which offers HSDPA.

How do you get s properly configured APN?

I'm asking because when I bought my new Huawei Ascend in installed my True move H Sim with 3G package I had no internet. Brought the phone back and they typed in for APN something that looked rinky dink.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To manually set the APN my Sony Android is prolly similar to Ascend.

Go to: Settings - Wireless & networks - Mobile networks - Access point names. Fill in the following,

Name: TRUE-H INTERNET

APN: internet

Then go back to APNs, you will see TRUE-H INTERNET and a round grey dot on the same line. Click on the dot, it turns blue. Your APN is now set.

Edited by valgehiir

These APN settings (Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Mobile networks, Access Point Names, add a new APN, remember to save it, re-start the phone, go back and select that APN with the radio button) work for me:

Name TRUE-H INTERNET
APN internet
User name true
password true
MCC 520
MNC 00
APN type default,supl
That last setting for APN type seems to be a major stumbling block.
APN settings may be baked-in to a SIM but not all phones can read that information.
One can request, and receive, an APN config. Over the Air (OTA).
But still best to set it up yourself, IME.
  • Like 1

Yup, just as lomatopo said!

For some reason True does not set the APN by sending automatic mms or sms. AIS sends the settings when you start using their 3G sim card, no need to manually set the APN.

May another way to set APN with True is to call 1175 call center and ask them to send mms with all settings.

May another way to set APN with True is to call 1175 call center

Believe 1175 is the AIS call center number.

TrueMove is 1331

DTAC is 1678

APN configurations can be sent via USSD, or initiated via SMS, but this procedure is less than reliable - it may not work with any/every phone make/model.

May another way to set APN with True is to call 1175 call center

Believe 1175 is the AIS call center number.

TrueMove is 1331

DTAC is 1678

APN configurations can be sent via USSD, or initiated via SMS, but this procedure is less than reliable - it may not work with any/every phone make/model.

Yes, of course, my mistake. I use both AIS and True, and always confuse them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, just as lomatopo said! For some reason True does not set the APN by sending automatic mms or sms. AIS sends the settings when you start using their 3G sim card, no need to manually set the APN. May another way to set APN with True is to call 1175 call center and ask them to send mms with all settings. Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

AIS does not do that for me. I had to manually enter my AIS APN. DTAC did it automagically and it worked fine. That's one thing that contributes to my general impression that DTAC is a better choice (I've heard many complaints about True coverage?).

My impression of the two telcos I've used so far (I got an AIS, and was loaned a DTAC prepaid SIM) has been that... DTAC is better. Better English, better performance (checking using Ookla Speedtest, I've never seen anything close to 2Mbps downstream for AIS, while on occasion I've seen 5 with DTAC).

AIS has really iffy English systems - when I use @121# to check my balance, the response comes back in English and includes "press 9 for more options"... if I try that, the menu I get back is in Thai. Yes I'd previously contacted AIS through their call centre to set my language as English.

Not to say that DTAC is perfect - when my package ran out of "full speed" data (period of time not yet expired), I got an SMS saying that I could boost it if I used a code of *104*50*9#... which I did, and duly got a response saying that it was not applicable (i.e. they sent me an SMS code that I couldn't use). And, when I tried to cancel the current package (planning to pay for a brand new one) using their eservice website... I attach a screenshot of the error message.

Additionally, it seems to me DTAC is more "free" with SIM card validity? I haven't added that much money and I've got months and months of validity time on that SIM. I've added close to 1000 baht on my own AIS card and it'll only last till April. This would be important for when I have to stay some time out of Thailand...

post-186504-0-47921600-1389107657_thumb.