No Mobile Internet On Gt-I9100 (Sgs2) And True-H Sim.

Shurup

Got sick n' tired of that joke they call Internet at AIS. Bought a True-H SIM to see if I can get a 3G at the places where I go in Thailand, popped it into my phone and... got nothing. No internet of any sort. The status bar icon at the top of the screen doesn't even come up when I turn on the mobile data.

In Canada I use Rogers and Bell SIMs and I can get 3G at either of these 2 providers (both are on 850 MHz band) so the band is operational. I also checked (just in case) in the Service Mode Menu and all the bands are enabled.

post-111234-136971753901_thumb.jpg

The 3G from True-H is present in the areas, confirmed this yesterday when trying the SIM in GF's iPhone 4s while on a bike ride with GF.

Here's about my phone screenshot:

post-111234-13697179724443_thumb.jpg

It's got a JB for Nordic countries firmware, don't know if it makes any difference if I flush GT-I9100T for Thailand which recently became available, I think Somtamnication has confirmed it already that either True and AIS SIM can work in either T and international version of the S2.

Or have I simply bought a wrong SIM version? There seem to be too many variants of the sims from Truemove???

P.S. I even tried to enter APN manually as outlined on True web site - didn't make any difference.

I'm lost...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would turn off the phone, remove the battery and SIM, re-insert both and re-start the phone.

I assume you've added value, and selected a 3G mobile data plan, even if just the 49 baht/day plan? Which plan did you select?

Can you share your APN settings, on some TrueMove H SIMs they messed up the baked-in SIM details, so it may need to be corrected.

Also enable data roaming.

Finally, go to Settings, About phone, Status and share any details re: Network, Signal strength, Mobile network type Service state, etc.

Any SGS2: I9100 or I9100T will work with TrueMove H.

Any TrueMove H SIM can be mobile data enabled.

Sine the SIM worked in the iPhone suspect this is just some sort of configuration (APN) issue.

Edited by lomatopo

Tried restarting the phone with True sim in multiple times, just tried pulling the battery out when changing the sim - didn't make a difference. One thing is, the APN Internet field isn't selected by default when inserting true sim and powering up.

post-111234-13697269070723_thumb.jpg

After selecting it manually it stays on selected even after reboots.

Here are the screens of APN settings, like I said, they are like those shown on true website but I'm not denying they can't be wrong.

post-111234-13697274345178_thumb.jpgpost-111234-13697274944473_thumb.jpgpost-111234-13697275716447_thumb.jpg

One note here, in comparison to AIS APN settings, true uses User Name (true) and password (true), and AIS leaves the fields blank. Will try removing them after typing this message.

Here are the screens of phone status (mobile data is enabled):

post-111234-13697281895343_thumb.jpgpost-111234-13697282279023_thumb.jpg

I didn't select any data plan yet so getting charged by the minute,want to get it working first. It worked this way on GF's iPhone.

Data Roaming is enabled as per instructions on True web site.

APN is configured properly except maybe for APN type? Mine says, "default,supl" (no quotes).

And I assume you know you have to select the TrueMove-H radio button?

Maybe un-tick Data roaming.

Assuming you can 'see' TreuMove H I might spring the 49 baht to register for a 3G plan, without that the best you'll see is 384 Kbps so maybe not a great evaluation?

post-9615-0-32868900-1369730224_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-27856600-1369730283_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Also enable data roaming.

Huh?

Why?

With TrueMove H one can roam onto TrueMove's legacy 1800 MHz GSM network if you are outside of TrueMove H/CAT coverage. SO you continue to have voice services, and data services. You also should enable SMS roaming retrieval. At least this is what TrueMove H recommends.

APN is configured properly except maybe for APN type? Mine says, "default,supl" (no quotes).

And I assume you know you have to select the TrueMove-H radio button?

Maybe un-tick Data roaming.

Assuming you can 'see' TreuMove H I might spring the 49 baht to register for a 3G plan, without that the best you'll see is 384 Kbps so maybe not a great evaluation?

Will try changing the APN type after this message, will report back after that.

I have to select the TrueMove-H radio button? Are you referring to a first screenshot from my previous reply? Yes I selected it and it stays selected even after phone reboots.

Data Roaming was turned off when I first tried True sim first time, then as I discovered I had no internet, I started digging and turned data roaming on. Will try off again but don't think it will make a difference.

Well, I think I didn't make it very clear, I don't get any internet, not just 3G. There are no changes if my mobile data ON or OFF. This screenshot I took with AIS sim in, shows that I'm on EDGE internet (E with up and down arrows in the status bar).

post-111234-13697332503031_thumb.jpg

When I turn data OFF, this E with arrows symbol dissapears from there.

With True sim card simply nothing happens when I turn ON mobile data. No E or H with arrows nor 3G symbols appear in the status bar. Nothing, like the mobile data is still off, I therefore see no reason yet to purchase any data plan. When I make it work, I will worry about the speed then.

Not sure what to say at this point. I assume you can make and receive voice calls?

What is the balance and expiration? #123# Send/Call

The fact that this SIM did something acceptable in your GF's iPhone - is that what you said or meant - leads me to believe that it is an APN configuration issue, assuming you have TrueMove H coverage in your current location. Your first and second screenshots in your first post shows EDGE, was that using this TrueMove H SIM, or an AIS SIM?

Not sure what to say at this point. I assume you can make and receive voice calls?

What is the balance and expiration? #123# Send/Call

The fact that this SIM did something acceptable in your GF's iPhone - is that what you said or meant - leads me to believe that it is an APN configuration issue, assuming you have TrueMove H coverage in your current location. Your first and  second screenshots in your first post shows EDGE, was that using this TrueMove H SIM, or an AIS SIM?

Yes the screenshots in the first post were with AIS sim card.

Well, I changed the APN type from "internet" to "default,supl" and that was it, got internet now. Didn't have to restart the phone.

The weird thing is the balance is still 300 baht even after me making a few phone calls and using internet on GF's phone. Guess they don't update it that often.

Thanks lomatopo for helping me troubleshoot this.

The weird thing is the balance is still 300 baht even after me making a few phone calls and using internet on GF's phone. Guess they don't update it that often.

SIMs often come with a pre-packaged balance of baht, or minutes, or data or some combination thereof.

I honestly can't recall how I came up with that APN type? I assume it was baked-in to my SIM, or I ran in to the same problem as you, and found this strange APN type on a Thai forum? Many people "internet" as the APN type with TrueMove H, and no problems. Maybe it's specific to the hardware, baseband, modem, etc.?

Actually your settings didn't work on my phone, I tried leaving Proxy and Port blank, tried many things and the only one that helped was changing APN type to default,supl. Like lomatopo mentioned, the default settings seem to work on the most of the phones but not all.

• 1 month later...

New development.

After finally switching my number from AIS to TrueH (changed 2 SIMs in the process), I ditched the temporary SIM (with temp number) from TrueH that I was using, only to find out I have the same issue with the new SIM. The previous APN setting I had in my phone, they worked with previous SIM, wouldn't work with a new SIM, it looks like the setting can be a SIM specific. Going to revert to the default settings and follow through with all the tips posted here. After I figure it out... or don't, I will post again.