Accident waiting to happen at tesco

i claudius

I do not know how many of you shop there but have any of you noticed how the trolly's do not seem to grip on the moving escalators? i remember seeing a few months ago how a woman was killed on one of these when an overloaded trolly ran free ,my wife mentioned it to a guy who looked as if he was senior staff(in a suit) but he did not seem to care. anyone else noticed this?

Don't know about Pattaya but BigC in Chiang Mai I break out in a sweat preparing to get on the escalator with a heavily loaded cart. Grab the cart, grab a rail and dig my feet in. biggrin.png However, they just bought all new trolleys and these are great. The slots on the wheels when mating with the grooves the cart settles down on rubber feet and little chance of it slipping.

• Like 1

"my wife mentioned it to a guy who looked as if he was senior staff(in a suit) but he did not seem to care"

Are you sure that happened in Thailand?

I always thought that Thai are loving, caring, people.

On the serious side....yes the same thing happened to me in Big C.

And I got the same response....as your wife.

• Like 2

Tesco Lotus indeed is the worst with Big C Extra as a close runner up. Almost wet my pants everytime I start making the descend, especially when wearing flip-flops as they also don't help you to get any grip.

Few months ago needed to get help by a couple standing in front of me or I would have gone down with cart and contents.

Yes you are correct. You have to be very careful with these trolleys on the escalators. They are not made to European safety standards. I akways go in front of the trolley to act as a safety while my gf stays behind. It often takes 2 or 3 goes before it is locked properly.

As you say - sooner or later....there will be a tragedy

• Like 1

It can so easily happen ,now we are very carefull and hang on tight ,but the first time it happened ,i was losely holding a very heavy trolly with our shopping in it and it nearly ran away from me ,in front was a small child and her parents ,i dread to think what would have happened to her if i had lost it. but as i said no one seemed to give a toss ,

OMG...ting-tong farangs are now afraid of Thailand's killer shopping carts! What's next?

You think it is funny? I've seen this video before and it is often in the back of my mind when I get on the escalator. This happened in China and the lady was killed. There is another video of the accident but decided to post the less graphic one. I imagine Thailand has had its share of 'incidents'.

How many people slip and die everyday in the shower...so what are we all to do...stop taking them? Accidents, by definition, are random infrequent events and one can't live their life worrying about them.

But keep posting on all the ways one can die or be killed in Pattaya and hopefully it will scare away a few tourists from visiting and asome retirees from settling here.

• Like 1

OMG...ting-tong farangs are now afraid of Thailand's killer shopping carts! What's next?

You think it is funny? I've seen this video before and it is often in the back of my mind when I get on the escalator. This happened in China and the lady was killed. There is another video of the accident but decided to post the less graphic one. I imagine Thailand has had its share of 'incidents'.

How many people slip and die everyday in the shower...so what are we all to do...stop taking them? Accidents, by definition, are random infrequent events and one can't live their life worrying about them.

But keep posting on all the ways one can die or be killed in Pattaya and hopefully it will scare away a few tourists from visiting and asome retirees from settling here.

Yes, OMG, there are accidents every day in every part of the world. However, when there is a clear danger of a specific accident that can be caused by a specific situation, such as inadequate safety precautions for equipment, then the owner of said equipment has a responsibility to eliminate, or at least minimize the fault with the equipment. If I trip over my own feet, and fall, any injury caused is my fault. If you spill oil on the floor, and I trip on that, it's your fault. Not all accidents are without fault.

• Like 2

Very sorry but if you slip and injure yourself in the shower, then you are either stupid, drunk, or should be sitting in a wheel chair or a Zimmer frame. In YOUR shower YOU are in control , on a dangerous public escalator carrying hugely weighted shopping trolleys , often by elderly or weak persons, the risk of this happening is huge.if you don't believe just check out YouTube.

If you care to re run the YouTube clip and watch it carefully the speed of the escaped trolley and the impact is enormous. If it didn't kill it would have sure as hell broken someone's back.

I am sorry but I don't consider this as a flippant accident as you suggest, I would consider this to be almost murder if the operator of the escalator does not ensure the trolley wheels mesh with the escalator and lock out as they are supposed to do.

Do you casually sit there and suggest those who are aware of such dangers are an accident to happen ? Mega yawn. And as a finale, the clip and hundreds of other accident shown, did not happen in Pattaya.

Yes, OMG, there are accidents every day in every part of the world. However, when there is a clear danger of a specific accident that can be caused by a specific situation, such as inadequate safety precautions for equipment, then the owner of said equipment has a responsibility to eliminate, or at least minimize the fault with the equipment. If I trip over my own feet, and fall, any injury caused is my fault. If you spill oil on the floor, and I trip on that, it's your fault. Not all accidents are without fault.
Maybe the fault lies with people who overload their shopping carts to the point where they can't control them. Maybe the answer is that in your nanny state, we should all have to get licenses to drive shopping carts and there should be a shopping cart police force in shopping centers to enforce the rules of the road.

I am also not at all well versed in Thai product and premises liability law so can't comment on who's responsible for such safety standards you feel are appropriate regarding shopping carts and escalators.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

What Tesco are you talking about? I know Big C on Klang and South Pattaya roads are terrible. My wife won't take a cart on those escalators. And when I do, I hold on for dear life, and always look behind me. When we have a very heavy cart, we always take the elevator.

What Tesco are you talking about? I know Big C on Klang and South Pattaya roads are terrible. My wife won't take a cart on those escalators. And when I do, I hold on for dear life, and always look behind me. When we have a very heavy cart, we always take the elevator.

Actually although i mentioned Tesco N Pattaya ,you are right big c is just as bad ,and as for omgimini ,i am glad that he does not care and would not complain if a trolly broke free and crushed him or a loved one and would just put it down i assume to fate ,but in real life i am sure he would be the first one to sue.

Yes - it's a general problem in Thailand, not only at the supermarkets. I fear a runaway cart is going to kill someone at Swampy within the next couple of years. Evidently there is no maintenance of the wheel grips or checking.

Yes - it's a general problem in Thailand, not only at the supermarkets. I fear a runaway cart is going to kill someone at Swampy within the next couple of years. Evidently there is no maintenance of the wheel grips or checking.

Funny you should mention that. We had a cart filled with luggage at swampy. I was tired and not paying attention and it got away from me. Luckily, we were going up, so I was able to kinda stop it, but it went sideways and spilled everything out. My driver ran over to help, and I grabbed a few, but it was crazy. If I was going down, it would have been a very bad scene.

I had a not really loaded cart at big c yesterday, maybe 5 shopping bags, and had big trouble getting it locked into the escalator. I never had this before, is this a new problem? I'm not shopping that often at big c.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a not really loaded cart at big c yesterday, maybe 5 shopping bags, and had big trouble getting it locked into the escalator. I never had this before, is this a new problem? I'm not shopping that often at big c. Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was at Big C Extra 2 days ago, fully loaded cart. I had to lean back to keep hold. It never locked in. Happens to me quite often. Really scary.

And its a waste of time complaining ,they have about as much interst in doing anything as i have in watching paint dry,and if anyone is injured ,you know who will get the blame? not the rich store owners ,thats for sure.

I had a not really loaded cart at big c yesterday, maybe 5 shopping bags, and had big trouble getting it locked into the escalator. I never had this before, is this a new problem? I'm not shopping that often at big c. Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

it's like that every time I go there. So I stand in front and my gf behind so together we try to ensure no accidents.

But one day as sure as eggs are eggs there will be a tragic accident involving someone unaware the trolleys are not very safe.

Did you know that pretty much all the trolleys in uk are made in one factory in Germany where they undergo very rigorous testing?

I cant imagine the same degree of care here.

Just to report in that I have survived an additional half-dozen more trips to Bic C Extra, home of the killer shopping carts, since my my last post here and lived to post about them.

I think you need to worry more about slipping on some of the lube you and your ladyboy friends use

• Like 1

Easier to go in front of the trolleys if there really full then just lean back into them. Never recall this problem with Carrefore.

Should somebody be really concerned an e mail to Philip Clarke in the UK (Tesco group CEO) usually ends up with the e mail sender face to face with a Regional Director from BKK, and minions from the store looking into the problem also a nice sorry feed in Pizza hut and things get sorted.

Just to report in that I have survived an additional half-dozen more trips to Bic C Extra, home of the killer shopping carts, since my my last post here and lived to post about them.

I think you need to worry more about slipping on some of the lube you and your ladyboy friends use

Ouch...that ad hominem attack cut right to the bone...such a biting wit you have 555555

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned earlier about the new trollies at BigC in Chiang Mai. The new ones work brilliantly and designed with some actual thought in it. Went shopping today and had a pretty heavy load with water, cleaning supplies, etc probably around 60kG and rolled it onto the escalator and the front wheels dropped several mm into the groves and clunk as it set down on the front feet and same with the rear. Very solid with no hint of slipping. See below photos. Maybe present it to Tesco/BigC in Pattaya and show them how proper trollies work. smile.png

post-566-0-41695100-1389816763_thumb.jpg post-566-0-02239000-1389816777_thumb.jpg post-566-0-94401100-1389816800_thumb.jpg

I mentioned earlier about the new trollies at BigC in Chiang Mai. The new ones work brilliantly and designed with some actual thought in it. Went shopping today and had a pretty heavy load with water, cleaning supplies, etc probably around 60kG and rolled it onto the escalator and the front wheels dropped several mm into the groves and clunk as it set down on the front feet and same with the rear. Very solid with no hint of slipping. See below photos. Maybe present it to Tesco/BigC in Pattaya and show them how proper trollies work. smile.png

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg Image00003.jpg

Thank you for this report. Another reason in my growing list of why I might relocate to CM...less chance of being killed by a shopping cart gone rogue.