Obtaining thai birth certificate

Insi

Hoping someone can advise me on how I go about obtaining a thai birth certificate for my son.Although born in Australia, his father/my partner is a thai national.I have read conflicting advice given on older TV threads and would like to hear from someone who has first hand experience.I have read that I must apply for certificate at a thai embassy/consulate in the country where the child was born but not sure if I can do this via mail as we currently live in Thailand.Also heard that I could get it through the MFA Thailand but that its quite a lengthy process and rather difficult.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Insi

He can't get a Thai birth cert if he was born in Aus.

You contact Births,deaths and marriages in Australia, look online, think you can also apply online. Then they send you the birth cert then you get it officially translated to Thai in Thailand. There is 1 govt dept here in Aus that can do it but your in Thailand so not much help for you.

Edited by krisb

OP your reading of the situation is correct.

The BC can either be done via the embassy (full details in how available via them) and canbe handled by mail, or you can approach the consular department of ministry of foreign affairs on Changwattana rd, and they can handle the paperwork on your behalf.

Your son will be given a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in Canberra, which will also state his nationality as thai, so to that extent, ignore the previous poster before me.

• Like 2

The BC can either be done via the embassy (full details in how available via them) and canbe handled by mail, or you can approach the consular department of ministry of foreign affairs on Changwattana rd, and they can handle the paperwork on your behalf.

Your son will be given a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in Canberra, which will also state his nationality as thai, so to that extent, ignore the previous poster before me.

Ok samran, that means the Thai consulate in Australia is wrong then and your right. I had to do basically the exact same thing to get my daughter on tabien baan and was told to do what I just mentioned.

Edited by krisb

Thanks for the replies.I have emailed the Thai consulate in Australia and am awaiting a reply.Hoping you're right and I can apply/receive certificate via mail.Will update post once I get an official answer for anyone else that may be in the same situation.Thanks again :)

• Like 1

Ok samran, that means the Thai consulate in Australia is wrong then and your right. I had to do basically the exact same thing to get my daughter on tabien baan and was told to do what I just mentioned.

Well often is the case that I am right and the consular is wrong ;) I've got a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in Canberra in addition to my bog standard Australian birth certificate.

Thanks for the replies.I have emailed the Thai consulate in Australia and am awaiting a reply.Hoping you're right and I can apply/receive certificate via mail.Will update post once I get an official answer for anyone else that may be in the same situation.Thanks again :)

Call. You'll be waiting forever if you email based on my past experiences

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.I have emailed the Thai consulate in Australia and am awaiting a reply.Hoping you're right and I can apply/receive certificate via mail.Will update post once I get an official answer for anyone else that may be in the same situation.Thanks again smile.png

Call. You'll be waiting forever if you email based on my past experiences

Samran is correct

I am doing this at the moment and was recommended by a thai friend to do exactly the following which is on the Sydney Thai consulates website.

I was looking at the Thai Embassy web site and it requires original docs including both parents passports but the consulate only requires copies

Documents required for an application are as follows:

• a photo of the child
  • a copy of the child’s Birth Certificate issued by Australian Authority and certified by a Justice of Peace (JP)
  • a copy of parent’s passport
  • a copy of parent’s Thai National ID Card
  • a copy of parent’s Thai House Registration
  • a copy of parents’ Marriage Certificate

In the case that the parents are not married and the child will be using the father’s name, the father must sign a letter stating his acceptance of the child and giving consent to the use of his surname

Fee: Free of charge

Processing time: 7 working days

A Birth Certificate must to be collected within 30 days after an application has been lodged.

If a Birth Certificate cannot be collected in person, please provide an Express Post Envelop with an address to be returned by post.

Im guessing if sending to Thailand is an issue perhaps you could send them to a friends address in Australia and then they can forward them to you in Thailand

link

http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/english/registration-services

Hi

I would check whether you can do this by post, I thought both parents had to physically present at the embassy/consulate.

We have Thai Birth certificates for both our children (16 months & 3 years) both born to a Thai mother & British father in the UK.

I'm pretty sure we both had to be there when we applied (we are married).

Hi

I would check whether you can do this by post, I thought both parents had to physically present at the embassy/consulate.

We have Thai Birth certificates for both our children (16 months & 3 years) both born to a Thai mother & British father in the UK.

I have called the Consulate in Sydney and the parents don't have to be present its all done by post as explained on their website.

My friend has done this and when i send and receive my docs back from the consulate i will post here the result.

Hi

I have called the Consulate in Sydney and the parents don't have to be present its all done by post as explained on their website.

My friend has done this and when i send and receive my docs back from the consulate i will post here the result.

Good news certainly makes things easier