Swede (root vegetable)

vulcan903

Just got back from Villa at The Paseo, Ramkhamhaeng. They have imported swede in stock. 275 Baht/kg. First time I've seen it in Thailand. (This branch of Villa, which only opened very recently, also has celeriac, Australian leeks and witloof along with a few other exotic fruits and vegetables.)

I very much doubt swede is grown locally, so there's virtually no chance finding it outside the expat-oriented supermarkets in Bangkok and possibly Chiang Mai.

I have been buying Swedes and Parsnips from Villa Market Pattaya for a couple of years, also Savoy Cabbage, all imported from good ole Aus. I live in Issan and visit Pattaya a couple of times a year to stock up on foods not readily availale in The Mall, Korat. I par boil and freeze. This Christmas we had, as delightful extras, mashed Swede and roasted Parsnips to complement our Roast Turkey. With the cold weather it was almost like being back in the UK.Ha!

• Like 1

I've never seen it in Isaan. It is one vegetable along with leeks that I miss

Leeks are often available in Makro. Buriram store has them most of the time.

What you're seeing in Makro are almost certainly not leeks but Japanese Onions which look very similar.

Difference discussed at length at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/508188-fresh-frozen-or-canned-leeks/

• Like 1

Baby Turnips in Friendship Pattaya at the moment, but I don't miss them enough to pay the price, nearly as costly as Brussels Sprouts.

hey rab i dont know if they have any left but makro had kilo bags of frozen sprouts [dec] at 99bht.a kilo brand name TOMEX

produced in belgium.almost as good as birds eye.

• Like 1

I've never seen it in Isaan. It is one vegetable along with leeks that I miss

Leeks are often available in Makro. Buriram store has them most of the time.

What you're seeing in Makro are almost certainly not leeks but Japanese Onions which look very similar.

Difference discussed at length at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/508188-fresh-frozen-or-canned-leeks/

Foodland stock leeks as well as what could be Japanese onions, look very similar to leeks but can't remember what they were called.

Just got back from Villa at The Paseo, Ramkhamhaeng. They have imported swede in stock. 275 Baht/kg. First time I've seen it in Thailand. (This branch of Villa, which only opened very recently, also has celeriac, Australian leeks and witloof along with a few other exotic fruits and vegetables.)

I very much doubt swede is grown locally, so there's virtually no chance finding it outside the expat-oriented supermarkets in Bangkok and possibly Chiang Mai.

275 Baht! Holy crap.

Baby Turnips in Friendship Pattaya at the moment, but I don't miss them enough to pay the price, nearly as costly as Brussels Sprouts.

hey rab i dont know if they have any left but makro had kilo bags of frozen sprouts [dec] at 99bht.a kilo brand name TOMEX

produced in belgium.almost as good as birds eye.

Meatboy thanks for letting me know but sprouts are something I never grew up to like! I still think they are the Devils Gonads. No insult meant and thanks for trying to help.