Gift card ticketing at Major Cinemeplex, Avenue Mall

Jingthing

(s/b CINEPLEX)

Just a heads up.

Recently, I went for a movie there and without asking me about gift cards, they just demanded what sounded like a higher ticket price than usual, then handed me a GIFT CARD.

I even mentioned something about HIGHER PRICE when the price was mentioned and there was no response to explain about the higher price.

The clerk did not ask if I wanted a GIFT CARD or inform me the extra cost was for the GIFT CARD until it was too late and she had taken the money and given me a GIFT CARD.

So I don't know if there was really any choice in the matter. If there was, I would have declined.

Yes, I think the clerks should be trained in telling customers what they are selling actually and if there is any choice not to purchase that option.

Then I asked for my ticket and she pointed to the GIFT CARD machines, where you ticket yourself.

Well, my show was about to start in a minute (arriving 25 minutes late) so I told the clerk I don't want to bother with your new machines which would take me extra time to figure out when I am about to miss my show.

So SHE did ticket me at the counter.

Which indicates they CAN still do so.

So I have not yet used the machines.

I am concerned about whether they are pushing these as a requirement when they might not actually be a requirement.

If they are indeed a requirement, they have designed the system to make extra money from the cards, surprise surprise.

Looking at the unclear paper they gave me with the card, the extra charge (20 baht I think) was indeed for the CARD (which I never asked for).

I also read that it's like a TOP UP card and that if you TOP UP for less than 1000 baht there is an additional charge of 10 baht for each top up.

I do like this Cinema.

I don't like the details of this GIFT CARD at least the way they are implementing it.

There is your heads up!

Maybe others have more details who have actually used the card.

Edited by Jingthing

I must say that Major has some pretty impressive bean counters working for them.

Think about it.

Many people will top up those cards 1000 baht.

Then who knows how long it takes to actually use those funds or maybe they never do.

Meanwhile the company gets use of the money.

Also in the long run those ticketing machines will mean less need for ticketing STAFF, and they make the customer pay extra for doing the staff's old work themselves.

Also their scheme with 3D glasses.

They make you PURCHASE the glasses now.

So if you forget to bring them the next 3D show, you either need to buy a new pair, or not see the movie.

I bet you lots of people end of purchasing multiple 3D glasses.

Bloody brilliant. (For them.)

Edited by Jingthing

Major is still the best because you can get a student card if you're here on an ED visa as I am, My movies ANY TIME cost only 80 baht. I also accumulate points on this discount scheme so once in awhile, I get a free large popcorn.

Seniors get the same privileges. No proof of age required. You just need to look or act old. ;)

Top marks for Major.

Major is still the best because you can get a student card if you're here on an ED visa as I am, My movies ANY TIME cost only 80 baht. I also accumulate points on this discount scheme so once in awhile, I get a free large popcorn.

Seniors get the same privileges. No proof of age required. You just need to look or act old. wink.png

Top marks for Major.

How old do you need to be for the senior discount. I think I might qualify but probably don't look it.

Seniors get the same privileges. No proof of age required. You just need to look or act old. wink.png

Top marks for Major.

How old do you need to be for the senior discount. I think I might qualify but probably don't look it.

Try harder. haha.

I've gone with guys in their 50s who got it. Thais don't want a problem nor do they want to try figuring out how old you are if you were born in the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc.