Late next week will I be able to get to airport in Bangkok?

youbuyshirt

I need to go to Bkk January 15 or 16 to catch an international flight on Saturday, January 18. In light of all the chaos now, will I be able to get to the airport from Khao San Road by public transport?

I mean, will I be able to take a bus to the nearest airport rail link station? Will it take forever? Don't yet know which airport as haven't booked yet. Thanks.

Edited by youbuyshirt

It's unknown what's going to happen. It could all fizzle out on Monday, carry on for weeks, or have the army step in and shut it down on any day. Nobody knows.

With that being said, if it's an international flight, it will probably be swampy. Don Muang is mainly domestic flights. Public transport could be a real mess as you'll have to transit the various protest sites. With a taxi, they'll always find a way around. Though the trip could take a lot longer than normal.

Only thing to do is figure this out over the next few days. It's a mess for sure.

• Like 2

Thanks. What would be a better area to stay where I could get to Suvarnabhumi Airport easily and still get a cheap fan room, same same Khao San?

Many hotels within 10 minutes of Swampy, Queens Garden Hotel for one, about 800 b and a pool. Bonus is they take visitors, to and from, the airport. Stay over the other side of town and you are up for transport fares which will work out the same as a cheap GH at Khao san

• Like 1

Give yourself plenty of time. They recently announced to give yourself at least 4 hours, and the airlines just announced to be at checkin at least 3 hours prior to departure. Checkin closes one hour prior to departure.

Easiest way to get to the airport will probably be the airport link train. Not sure I would want to count on a taxi next week. Lots of hotels along Sukhumvit with easy access to the BTS, and the BTS connects with the airport train at the Phaya Thai BTS station.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks, but are there cheaper hotels near Swampy? I don't need a pool, don't need A/C, just need private bathroom.

Gee how cheap to you want ?...go to Trip Advisor.com or Bookings.com there's a lot of hotels near the airport and as I said before you get FREE transportation to the airport

• Like 2

Thanks. What would be a better area to stay where I could get to Suvarnabhumi Airport easily and still get a cheap fan room, same same Khao San?

---------------------

There are a number of hotels close to the airport that offer a free shuttle service to the airport if you are a guest.

They are not luxury hotels by any means but they are within 10 to 15 minutes from the airport by the free shuttle.

They are especially convenient when you have one of those 5 a.m. departures that you need to check in for at 2 a.m..

You can often get a room for less than $30 a night.

Use Agoda or a similar hotel booking service to find them .... look for free airport shuttle.

• Like 1

---------------------

There are a number of hotels close to the airport that offer a free shuttle service to the airport if you are a guest.

They are not luxury hotels by any means but they are within 10 to 15 minutes from the airport by the free shuttle.

They are especially convenient when you have one of those 5 a.m. departures that you need to check in for at 2 a.m..

You can often get a room for less than $30 a night.

Use Agoda or a similar hotel booking service to find them .... look for free airport shuttle.

I thought I said that in posts 5 & 9biggrin.png Of course if you real want cheeep you can always sleep at the airport.Done that a few times when I was considerably younger.

• Like 2

Give yourself plenty of time. They recently announced to give yourself at least 4 hours, and the airlines just announced to be at checkin at least 3 hours prior to departure. Checkin closes one hour prior to departure.

You sure about this? I just bought an e-ticket and the rules and regs part says be at checkin 1-1/2 hours before departure.

Come to Khaosan Road (area) you will have no problems on either of your needs

- The cheap rooms are on a street nearby - This is street view showing popular backpacker guesthouse Merry V and My new house - Start at 170 Baht (Merry V) - 600 Baht (for multi occupancy own bathroom and a/c in My new house)

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?ll=13.761936%2C100.494863&cbp=%2C0.0%2C%2C0%2C-0.0&layer=c&panoid=2xfd7KyvnXetf_7pkIheOQ&spn=0.17999999999999836%2C0.30000000000000676&output=classic&cbll=13.761936%2C100.494863

This is not four star luxury - it is back packer accommodation, but I go here every day for lunch and they are both very popular (tip if you do go here try to get there before 12 midday to make sure you get a room). If either are full simply walk this street shown all the way along to O-Bangkok hotel - lots of places below 600 Baht to chose from.

As for travel and getting to the airport - Yesterday was first day of lock down - I took transport and the buses from here to out of the area and they are running more fluidly and faster than they have been in the last 3 weeks (since the protesters are now located and focused in shutting down the central area of Bangkok). My journey time is halved since most people use their cars to get into the center and since the center is inaccessible they leave their cars at home and the roads are very easy to travel on - So ironically its easier not harder from Khaosan Road (area)

You can also get a ticket from almost any of the tens of travel shops along this same street (or from the guest houses identified on the map) - each charge different prices (120 - 150 Baht) for the regular minivans that go on the hour every hour - These guys are doing this every day and they know what they need to do to get to the airport. There is no blockade of the airport - the main problems are downtown Bangkok and moving in and out of there - So just to re-emphasise there are no problems currently for getting to the airport from Khaosan Road (area) - So come just as you planned and you will not regret it - This is a magical place.

If things change I will post an update.

Edited by spambot

Blocking Air Traffic Control or Swampy would do untold damage to their cause! I hope this does not become a reality!

Didn't stop them in 2009, when they closed the airport for over a week.

But let us hope not this time.

It would be an absurdity in the part of the protesters if they do once more what they did before in the airport by shutting it down.

What will they get in doing that? Stopping foreigners in coming in? Thais make much money

from foreigners. Suthep and his followers are not benefited in anyway doing that.

Suthep will rather be loathed for that.