Telescopes

ericpasansai

Nope, the ones in Toys R Us are kiddie ones, also have microscopes there around 1,500 baht.

Digital Photo Studio in Airport Plaza 3rd floor has/had telescopes. If it's a budget one, though, I'd be inclined to get a good pair of binoculars instead, which can also sit on a tripod.

Nope, the ones in Toys R Us are kiddie ones, also have microscopes there around 1,500 baht.

Digital Photo Studio in Airport Plaza 3rd floor has/had telescopes. If it's a budget one, though, I'd be inclined to get a good pair of binoculars instead, which can also sit on a tripod.

How good of a pair that are tripod mountable can you acquire here in Chiang Mai?

Have you any idea of the price or where they would be available here in Chiang Mai?

Outdoor Vision shows they have a branch in Chiang Mai. From beginner to pro telescopes shown on their website.

thanks a million bought one there today. Interesting location in an 28 hole golf course with archery range etc. Right in town

What did you get as I have an interest also? I compared prices to US prices and nearly double the cost here in Thailand. Strange the import duties would be that high as I find camera equipment nearly on par with US prices.

Always a big selection in the Mae Sai border market and the savings would pay for the gas.

Are those telescopes any good though? Surely they're cheap Chinese knock offs?

Most telescopes today are made in China. All the Skywatcher series are and Celestron is owned by Synta of China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzhou_Synta_Optical_Technology

• 5 months later...

Always a big selection in the Mae Sai border market and the savings would pay for the gas.

Are those telescopes any good though? Surely they're cheap Chinese knock offs?

Most telescopes today are made in China. All the Skywatcher series are and Celestron is owned by Synta of China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzhou_Synta_Optical_Technology

There are not as many telescopes/ binoculars in Mae Sai as there used to be in years gone past when it seemed that every other stall had bins, scopes and red dot sights. I was looking for a telescope on a visa run in April and I found almost nothing and nothing worth buying.

• 4 weeks later...

I am somewhat of an amateur astronomer and have been toying with the idea of buying a decent telescope for years, then have always concluding that in Chiang Mai, owning a telescope would be a complete waste of time.

The night skies are rarely clear, cloudy, smoke pollution, light pollution. During the almost 6 months rainy season period the sky is cloudy for most of the time. Rarely have I ever seen crystal clear night skies here.

Perhaps convenient for the peeping toms who might be able to zoom in on the neighbors wife taking a shower, but for astronomical purposes Chiang Mai is far from being an ideal observation region.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Following up on the previous post, are there decent stargazing sites that are within an hour or two of Chiang Mai?

Other than that what would be the best place for an overnight stargazing trip?

Grin

Following up on the previous post, are there decent stargazing sites that are within an hour or two of Chiang Mai?

Other than that what would be the best place for an overnight stargazing trip?

Grin

Doi Inthanon presumably.