What does the future hold for Thailand?

webfact

STREETWISE
What does the future hold for Thailand?

Achara Deboonme

It seems that no matter how chaotic our politics get, the economic outlook for Thailand remains bright.

BANGKOK: -- Yesterday, global insurer ACE announced its Bt6.15-billion move for a 61 per cent stake in Siam Commercial Samaggi Insurance. Evan G Greenberg, chairman and chief executive officer, said "Thailand is the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia and at the heart of Indochina - a region that includes Vietnam and Myanmar."

On Channel 3, a foreign investor forecast Thailand was in a position to prosper as the leader of the Asean Economic Community.

Their words are like the first rain after a long drought. With anti-government protests now into their third month and no solution in sight, few Thais are managing to stay optimistic.

Now, I am becoming convinced that only the military can lift us past the political mess. Why? Because rationality and rule of law no longer exists among many of us.

Right after winning victory over the administration on the controversial amnesty bill, the People's Democratic Reform Committee proposed its "People's Council". Its name suggests it should represent all Thais. In reality, as the PDRC declared it would appoint "good people" to the council, which will be in charge of issuing laws, it can never represent the Thai people.

It's sad that so many who claim to support democracy have agreed to this. They reason that many poor Thais have been given too large a slice of national resources, and its time to redesign the benefit scheme. What they forget is that since Bangkok became the capital some 220 years ago, national resources poured into this city at the cost of the rural majority.

I was thus dismayed to hear a Constitutional Court judge say Thailand would need high-speed train only when all roads are gone. His judgement convinced me that many of the projects under the Bt2-trillion borrowing bill will never see the light of day. For the record, against Bt528 billion set aside for urban transport - mostly in Bangkok - the Bt955-billion budget for the high-speed train and road network is high, but it will benefit people in many provinces. Thailand is not the only country in the region dreaming about a high-speed train, something that Japan and China have been using to promote economic growth in provinces. Malaysia, Laos, Indonesia and Vietnam have similar plans.

If our students are at Grade 9 now, should we wait till they finish Grade 12 before we start building a university?

Lack of rationality also governs the reason behind the Bangkok shutdown - the demand that caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra resign. Roads were blocked yesterday and some protesters threatened to seize the Stock Exchange and air-traffic control.

If Yingluck resigns, there must be a replacement. Of course, as this interim government has to take charge of national matters under the 2007 Constitution, her replacement would be someone from the Pheu Thai Party. My question is, if Charupong Ruangsuwan is appointed, will the protesters go home? I doubt it. Their next move would be to say "no" to all "representatives of the Thaksin regime".

It also irritates me that certain independent institutions are apparently weakening coalition parties, which in turn gives a big psychological boost to protesters. The Constitutional Court's ruling on the senatorial selection bill was astonishing: Thailand should continue with a Senate that's partly appointed, not entirely elected.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission recently resolved to take legal action against members of the coalition parties, in a case related to the senatorial bill. It acted fast when compared to the case relating to rigging of the rice-pledging scheme. Had that investigation been completed and charges filed, all Thais - even farmers who support the scheme - would know enough to decide whether to re-elect the corrupt politicians back to office.

I am also puzzled with the Election Commission's recent moves. Right after being appointed to the post on December 13 after the House was dissolved, a commissioner vehemently said the February 2 election should not go ahead. I understand his concern, given the blocking of candidacy registration and ongoing protests. But from my own research, the EC's main duty is to conduct elections, which in this case are scheduled by royal decree for February 2. Another duty of the EC is to take legal action against cheating candidates.

Importantly, the new commissioners took this job with full knowledge that they would have to handle this election. If they are not committed to this role, why did they agree to take the job?

For now, most of us are left staring into the abyss. With protesters occupying Bangkok, it remains uncertain whether the election will take place on February 2. Though some have voiced their support for the election, all the moves by independent institutions indicate that Thailand is going to get a non-elected government for the first time in 82 years.

I'm heartened, though, by the words of the two foreign investors. Surprisingly, they still see a bright future for Thailand. It is good news indeed that Thai workers will still have jobs.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-14

• Like 1

Back to the future.

I said it already and repeat it. "what do you get if you throw rubbish into a pot?"

cooked rubbish, correct.

Keep your good memories of a once - quite nice Thailand - and move on. There's nothing left here, except a brain-diluted population who will run after every better smelling fart.

• Like 2

Back to the future.

I said it already and repeat it. "what do you get if you throw rubbish into a pot?"

cooked rubbish, correct.

Keep your good memories of a once - quite nice Thailand - and move on. There's nothing left here, except a brain-diluted population who will run after every better smelling fart.

Does it bother you that your post also has a "brain dilution" smell to it?

• Like 1

Back to the future.

cooked rubbish, correct.

Does it bother you that your post also has a "brain dilution" smell to it?

I can't help you if you can't smell it, you need to run faster to get closer

the basic idea to support the farmers is right...but the problem is the method is costing the total thai economy too much

the bsaic idea to have good railway system is right...but the problem is highspeed trains are not giving any support to transport goods and people to a reasonable price...highspeed trtains make sence when there is a good basic railways system working like in Japan, France and so

the real problem is that the governement is incompetent because not listening to the people

• Like 2

I have to add - I met a young Thai... what 25,26, a day ago (where I am are only ordinary Thai, who will all be affected) they wore a T-shirt reading "Bangkok Shut Down"...

I asked, why they wear it, and all they could answer was "Fight"

I asked back - fight for what?

Short answer again "fight for the government go"

Asking back again, "and then?

Short answer again "I don't know"

clap2.gifcheesy.gif - and that is the young, university level educated folk cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Don't know, just fight

Bravo, wonderful, TRUE amazing

(ture=irony)

I guess it's just as well you didn't ask "why?".

Future for Thailand could be fantastic but first you would have to import all the worlds disinfectant--bleach and swamp government house with it.

Let it seep for a long period, hose it all down and have a clean start, the only problem is where do you find CLEAN politicians ????

I have to add - I met a young Thai... what 25,26, a day ago (where I am are only ordinary Thai, who will all be affected) they wore a T-shirt reading "Bangkok Shut Down"...

clap2.gifcheesy.gif - and that is the young, university level educated folk cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Don't know, just fight

(ture=irony)

Its not exactly rocket science to work out that remove the Shinawatras and any future looks brighter.

Too many words to get on a T-shirt, but you get the picture. Maybe not.

• Like 2

Interesting the SET actually went up yesterday the dollar dropped below 33. The dollar I understand. The SET that was no accident.

Do a bit of research and you will find that Thailand has actually been like this for years.

For us will it effect us, more then likely not.

The University student that is interesting, supposedly from the Anti Government view is ISSAN has the people who are not smart enough to vote.

Interesting the SET actually went up yesterday the dollar dropped below 33. The dollar I understand. The SET that was no accident.

Do a bit of research and you will find that Thailand has actually been like this for years.

For us will it effect us, more then likely not.

The University student that is interesting, supposedly from the Anti Government view is ISSAN has the people who are not smart enough to vote.

The irony is, how dumb would a farmer have to be to say "no. I am a man of principle and I won't take your handout".

And they say the farmers are dumb. I await sutheps council explaining to the farmers how much better life will be for them once they cut all the subsidies that have been offered to them.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Don't know, just fight

(ture=irony)

Its not exactly rocket science to work out that remove the Shinawatras and any future looks brighter.

Too many words to get on a T-shirt, but you get the picture. Maybe not.

Oh really?

..."and then?"

Let me see, if I can guess your answer...

30-40 million Thais are not smart enough to understand the implications of their vote. So say the establishment/protesters and their foreign backed and elite investors. "We need a people's council made up of "appointed' legislatures. This a masking for keep up the systems that we have, let's just "print up" a new scorecard and lineup. We will do it Suthep says. Actually, Sutheps' movement is anarchy - closing down government offices, breaking through government facilities with trucks, and threatening to take over air control and major roads. The military should step in if the police can't handle this.

Look around the world, especially at the developed democracies - perhaps your own homeland(s) - and you see the creeping rise of the police state. Read beyond the lamestream media and you see repressive laws everywhere, enacted with stealth while the sheeple are drugged into carelessness. Thailand does not have a functioning democracy so there is no illusion that "everything is OK" and there is no collusion between the ruling elites. In some ways this is the freedom of chaos. If either of the two factions were to gain dominant control, be it the established aristocracy with their scorn for the great unwashed or the globalist corporatists with their more subtle disdain for their worker-slaves, then Thailand will drift into mediocre sterility... like everywhere else.

The irony is that personal freedoms seem to be highest when there is little government control - unless you are very rich and part of the control structure. And by this I don't mean the propaganda of "small government", which tends to be a call for the corporate takeover of public functions.

We may complain when things don't function like at "home", but most things get done... eventually.

• Like 2

What is bad for Thailand is good for its neighboring countries. I can just imagine Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam licking their chops and rubbing their hands seeing Good Ole Thailand - Land of the Free go down the drain - Thanks to Suthep and his followers. Hmmmm. Interesting. Innnnterestiiiing.

Back to the future.

cooked rubbish, correct.

Can I assume that you are not living in Thailand if you think the country is hopeless?

Don't know, just fight

(ture=irony)

post-133770-0-85628200-1389667019_thumb. Amazing that you haven't considered the possibility that his English didn't allow him to elaborate further.

• Like 1

the basic idea to support the farmers is right...but the problem is the method is costing the total thai economy too much

the bsaic idea to have good railway system is right...but the problem is highspeed trains are not giving any support to transport goods and people to a reasonable price...highspeed trtains make sence when there is a good basic railways system working like in Japan, France and so

the real problem is that the governement is incompetent because not listening to the people

Do you really think that the rice scam scheme was set up to support the farmers ? or high speed trains to develop infrastructure ?...these scams are in place or were being put in place so a small group of people could line their own pockets through corruption, many of whom are part of the goverment.

the real problem is that the goverment is a bunch corrupt people who put their own interests before the good of the country.

This is exactly what the protests are all about....Typically Thailand tolerates corruption to a degree as eveybody does it, but the PTP went too far

Unless Thailand breaks the current political cycle completely...ie think the definition of insanity...(repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different out come) Thailand will be perpetually going thorugh cycles of election, protest, coup, election protest coup nothing will get better on poltical front

Well said indeed. That's why so many people come to protest against this shameless crab and it injustice league!

• Like 1

Close - but no cigar: The real problem is that Thaksin has always put his own interests first - he's a parasite.

• Like 1

Do you really think that the rice scam scheme was set up to support the farmers ? or high speed trains to develop infrastructure ?...these scams are in place or were being put in place so a small group of people could line their own pockets through corruption, many of whom are part of the goverment.

the real problem is that the goverment is a bunch corrupt people who put their own interests before the good of the country.

This is exactly what the protests are all about....Typically Thailand tolerates corruption to a degree as eveybody does it, but the PTP went too far

Unless Thailand breaks the current political cycle completely...ie think the definition of insanity...(repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different out come) Thailand will be perpetually going thorugh cycles of election, protest, coup, election protest coup nothing will get better on poltical front

Please not to all our pro government followers, here lays the answer to all your excuses, this poster has pointed to the problem.

• Like 1

The "foreign investor" who sees a great future for the Thai economy amid all this chaos and instability is either ...

1. Using The Nation as his main source of info.

2. Hoping to buy up some property on the cheap after the coup.

3. He signed a prior agreement with Channel 3 to not say anything realistic or critical,

as that may not be suited for the sensitive brains of regular Channel 3 viewers.

4. Is actually a luuk-krung cousin of a Channel 3 journalist.

5. He had just smoked a funny cigarette and was talking nonsense to keep everyone happy.

My 10 cents: #1

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by blokker
  • Like 1

Future for Thailand could be fantastic but first you would have to import all the worlds disinfectant--bleach and swamp government house with it.

Let it seep for a long period, hose it all down and have a clean start, the only problem is where do you find CLEAN politicians ????

The problem is Thai people, not the govt. Thai's lack the ability to control their greed. They lack a "decency switch". When they're put into a position where they can profit, they do it, no matter who it hurts. Plus, they don't respect or obey rules or laws. It's always all about bending, breaking, and nuking rules.

Winston Churchill said, "A people get the govt. they deserve." Very wise words...

• Like 2

The whole world is in a mess, not just Thailand. Look at Greece, the USA, North Korea just to mention a few. High debts, leaders with their own agenda & no real direction in governments trying to please everybody and in the end pleasing nobody has become the normal.

Edited by rotary

The future could be brighter if they could wipe a lot of the past and allow the population to think for themselves....The problem is that people actually believe the elite somehow deserve their riches and power and are unchallengeable, therefore will continue to allow the elite to walk all over them until there is a definite shift in the national psyche.

There is huge potential here which has at times given the illusion of being realised yet Thailand always seems to manage to fall over it's own feet.

The problem is Thai people, not the govt. Thai's lack the ability to control their greed. They lack a "decency switch". When they're put into a position where they can profit, they do it, no matter who it hurts. Plus, they don't respect or obey rules or laws. It's always all about bending, breaking, and nuking rules.

Winston Churchill said, "A people get the govt. they deserve." Very wise words...

'NOT THE GOVERNMENT" not their doing ???? bankrupt country, corruption in your face, people copy their leaders they learn how to do it from them.

The rest of your post is true.