Back to promenada

ericpasansai

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the shop holders I feel sorry for. They will have committed to lengthy expensive leases, and many if not all will be losing money.

But as I alluded to above, the shop owners went in with their eyes open...didn't they?

You didn't need hindsight to realise there wouldn't be many customers out there, and its common knowledge that a high % of new house owners don't even live here.

when it comes down to it, I suppose the developers are in it to make money, if it was sold on....but as for the tenants, they cannot blame anyone except themselves because they made the decision,the choice as we all do in every single thing we do.

Maximus: "if we stay together we survive"

The definition of a white elephant. At least Maya has a reasonable number of people in close proximity.

Let's wait and see what will happen with traffic at Rincome intersection for the ones not walking there.. (i.e. almost everyone)

I'm predicting that Maya will be a surprise success story in five years. The Nimmen area is now a "town within itself" and that should draw a lot of people to all the new condos going up. I'm bias because I live nearby, and without a car and not willing to risk my life on a motorbike, i really need the Maya to work.

I find the Prom the most relaxing shopping experiences in town now, but I'm agoraphobic and detest the other malls because of the crowds. I do hope that they can hang in there and add a few more coffee shops as there are only 28 now.

I would like to see their electric bill when the hot summer months come..................lots of open space to cool off.

• Like 1

Its the shop holders I feel sorry for. They will have committed to lengthy expensive leases, and many if not all will be losing money.

But as I alluded to above, the shop owners went in with their eyes open...didn't they?

I would think initial leases were probably quite cheap, to encourage the thing to be successful at opening time and encourage others to come in and lease on more expensive deals.

Of course, when you're sat there with no customers, I supposed even a discounted lease has got to hurt.

I went there once. It's a design cluster f*#%. First off, there are 2 buildings, not apparent when you enter. Second, despite all that open space, it's not so easy to see what shops are where. If you stand at one point, very few shops are visible due to its shape & "obstacles" blocking the view across the "open" space. Airport plaza may be boring design, but at least it's easy to see the shops. I didn't see a layout plan & it took a long time to find the shop I wanted to visit. And who the hell goes to a mall to go to a coffee shop or a restaurant? Surely you go to do some shopping & while there, you may be tempted to take a break in one.

I like it for movies ...and the best thing about it, for me, is the TOYS R US, tucked in a corner across from the movie theater ...sort of. I agree with MESmith about the design, it is sort of interesting and nice to have a different look, but very difficult to see things!

But for the people who have kids here, Toys R Us has the best selection of toys and all sorts of things not easily available here, even at Central.

I hadn't heard anyone talking about that, so I was surprised when I found it. Any parents who haven't been, do go!

• Like 1

I like it for movies ...and the best thing about it, for me, is the TOYS R US, tucked in a corner across from the movie theater ...sort of. I agree with MESmith about the design, it is sort of interesting and nice to have a different look, but very difficult to see things!

But for the people who have kids here, Toys R Us has the best selection of toys and all sorts of things not easily available here, even at Central.

I hadn't heard anyone talking about that, so I was surprised when I found it. Any parents who haven't been, do go!

That was the shop I had to explore to find!!

Visited there for the first time last month and everything I'd heard about the place was true - bad parking, empty shops, etc. We decided to have dinner at one of the new Japanese restaurants. Once settled in I realized the other customers in the place were in fact all off-duty staff and their friends hanging out - my wife and I were the only real customers. Food was ok, but I had to rush home with a very upset stomach. Yeah, I guess I actually prefer the noise and crowds at Central Festival, and perhaps a lesser chance of eating expired food too.

Someone who works at a shop there told me that the group which built Promenada are now soliciting investors for a similar mall in Myanmar. Anyone else heard this?

bad parking? at first this was the case. but now, there are more vacant parking spots than anywhere else. piece of cake to pull in and get a spot near the door which is handy if you are shopping at Rimping.

Yes I was wondering about that bad parking bit also. Kind of makes one wonder about the rest of the post.

• Like 1

isn't there a new italian restaurant going in there? backed or run by owner of Dukes? Wonder how that is gonna do?

Well from what I hear Dukes is doing OK there. If there are no other customers there it would pretty well speak for the quality of food and service there. Can't imagine a lot of people going to a shopping mall on a regular basses just for a meal if it wasn't outstanding. I would imagine if he opens a Italian restaurant the quality would also be there.wai2.gif

I would think initial leases were probably quite cheap, to encourage the thing to be successful at opening time and encourage others to come in and lease on more expensive deals.

Of course, when you're sat there with no customers, I supposed even a discounted lease has got to hurt.

You are correct the original leases were low. I think part of the problem was the lack of preparedness when they opened unofficially and officially.

As MESmith has pointed out it is hard to see where all the shops are by just standing around. For myself I need the exercise and truth be known I still don't know where all the stores are in the airport mall. I do enjoy the openness of the Promenada. Also the comparatively quiet compared to the Central Festival. I don't think acoustics were taken into consideration when they built the central Festival.

Edit

Yes it would be nice to have a map of the Mall. I was in the Festival today and I think there was at least three staff at the information booth. Pretty straight forward mall mainly walk in a big circle With a small wing on the South West corner.

Edited by northernjohn

Actually, it's easy to get into from all directions if you use the 'side' entrance

Could you elaborate please? I'll be coming from Doi Saket on HW 118, Figure it's finally time to take a look-see at this place, as I've already checked out the new Central. Thanks.

I like Promenada. Easy to get to. Easy to park, get in, get what you want and get out. I usually go on a Saturday or Sunday, and there are many people there. Wish it had an anchor department store like a Robinsons though. For Rimping works well to, and unless you go during peak hours you can usually park reasonably close.

Before I would go to Central Airport. Traffic around there is always a pain and so is the parking garage (though outside parking not too bad if you can get close).

• Like 2

Actually, it's easy to get into from all directions if you use the 'side' entrance

Could you elaborate please? I'll be coming from Doi Saket on HW 118, Figure it's finally time to take a look-see at this place, as I've already checked out the new Central. Thanks.

Like so: http://goo.gl/maps/CHa6s (Zoom out to see the full route)

So this is using the side entrance on the Middle Ring. When coming from the 118 that means a U turn just before the new Sankamphaeng Rd underpass. (Although I don't really get what's wrong with the main entrance, i.e. coming from the Superhighway and turning on to the new Sankamphaeng Rd.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I didn't like it at first but i have since changed my mind a little. The parking is not a problem any longer and i like the design of the mall itself with plenty of space to move around and it being less busy than central. The wide spaces have to be paid for somehow though of course.

I often go to eat at the Dukes and Wine connection although as mentioned in another thread there is a problem at the moment with the toilets closing at 9pm. I assume this will be sorted out soon as the restaurants are surely most unhappy with the current situation. I'm not surprised the food court is struggling as it does not compare to the one in central or airport plaza. All signs seemed to be in Thai only and the choice/quality is definitely below par for a place like that. I agree with a previous poster that promenada would really benefit from an anchor tenant like robinsons or central. This would give many more people a reason to visit imo.

• Like 2

Hope it stays open if just for Rimping, fantastic place that. Nice to wander around without bumping into trillions of others, but yeah just too much space and not enough funky stores of the type you'd see in Festival. Food court is fine as I only ever eat khao man gai anyway and the sauce is real tasty. smile.png

As for the design and how it looks in and out, and with the mountain behind, I think it's stunning.

• Like 1

Like so: http://goo.gl/maps/CHa6s (Zoom out to see the full route)

So this is using the side entrance on the Middle Ring. When coming from the 118 that means a U turn just before the new Sankamphaeng Rd underpass. (Although I don't really get what's wrong with the main entrance, i.e. coming from the Superhighway and turning on to the new Sankamphaeng Rd.)

Thanks, Winnie

I'm guessing the owners of promenada are banking on the fact that for the next like 10k down that street once you past promenada all there is, is housing developments. And knowing thai peoples propensity to not go anyway further than 5 minutes from their home. Promenada will be the place of choice for everyone living there.

• Like 1

And knowing thai peoples propensity to not go anyway further than 5 minutes from their home. Promenada will be the place of choice for everyone living there.

Hmmm....that's not my experience with Thais that I know here in C.M. They will drive an hour to eat at a restaurant they like, shop in Lamphun to save 300 Baht, etc. That may be more the case in Bangkok.

And knowing thai peoples propensity to not go anyway further than 5 minutes from their home. Promenada will be the place of choice for everyone living there.

Hmmm....that's not my experience with Thais that I know here in C.M. They will drive an hour to eat at a restaurant they like, shop in Lamphun to save 300 Baht, etc. That may be more the case in Bangkok.

Nope. Its here.

One of my main gripes about Chiang Mai is the limited choice of shops to browse around in. Optical, hair, telephone, and a few others. Repetition is the model.it seems.

I used to enjoy shopping back home and seeing new things. And yes, I know if I don't like it I can go home. Lol.

• Like 1

One of my main gripes about Chiang Mai is the limited choice of shops to browse around in. Optical, hair, telephone, and a few others. Repetition is the model.it seems.

I used to enjoy shopping back home and seeing new things. And yes, I know if I don't like it I can go home. Lol.

Well, yes, but that's what regular markets are for.. The markets that were there long before a single shopping mall was constructed, and that are still going strong today. That's where you get things that are different, and not some format that's had all the life standardized, globalized and franchised out of it. ;)

The extended Kad Luang area is still very good for that, and the weather right now better than ever to explore it again. The old town area is also getting very vibrant with shops that are just local shops, not a national or international chain.

• Like 1

I understand totally! But I have been finding new things to look at ...at Central Festival and to a tiny extent, Promenada ...really just my beloved Toys R Us there.

Even Central Dept store at CF ...seems better than the others. But I must say, I had given up shopping as a hobby after some time here, and boredom with the choices, so maybe I am like a hibernating bear who is just seeing spring for the first time in a long time? Not sure?

But I FEEL like I have joined the First World again, after some time in my cave ..due to the nicer shops, more normal choices ...I just can't articulate exactly what it is, but it does seem better!

It isn't great for the wallet, but I am grateful nonetheless!

Oh, and one good new store at both malls, is Uniglo ...I think I spelled that correctly. It is reasonably priced, not "Thai sytle" clothes, seems to have decent quality ....good customer service (as I have returned "non-returnable" things and pushed a few issues here and there, but I did spend a lot there too ...so I got what I would expect normally, a little reasonable customer service, for a good customer.) Check it out for good, basic clothing.

I am actually quite happy with the new things in town. I even saw a great colored water fountain thing outside Maya, when I happened to be passing at night recently, which is rare for me to be there at that time. I felt like I might be in Singapore or somewhere similar, for about 1000 sq, feet. I had this image in my mind, of big portions of CM becoming clean, uncluttered and having something remotely pretty to look at ...it might happen!

(Not saying everything is ugly here, there are some temples that look good, but to me, most things are pretty damn ugly ...)

• Like 1