Dozens injured in grenade attack in central Bangkok

webfact

So what you're saying is that the driver of the car, who throws the grenade, is hired by Thaksin?

And Thaksin was never elected huh? Nice history revisionism there. You should update Wikipedia then, because it seems to be wrong.

ROFLMAO, my 6 months old son can mess up with Wikipedia. I am yet to see at least ome serious article (e.g. scientific paper) that has Wiki in the references list.

Is Wiki the best the mafia supporters can come up with to prove a point? Why am I not surprised smile.png

Sent via the app thingy

You can go on there and correct the election results if they are wrong.

Are they?

Funny man but you are not a serious poster or commentator. Give us the substance of it please. Just who won the elections and what were the percentages. and what was the highest percent the democrats polled ever.

Shoot the messenger as a phrase has been around since the roman times. Isn't it about time you got a new tactic. Wiki is not perfect, but on the Thailand election results it is totally correct, and you..... you're just wrong again

"Shoot the messenger" is from Roman times? A civilisation that had no guns?

Hahahaha

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry mate. maybe best ask that 6 year old for info before you flame me next time.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShootTheMessenger

Point stands. You are knocking wiki, but using it yourselves. Where else to you get your info from.

Am waiting for somebody to tell us how one of the richest men in the world, paid a thai hit team (instead of world class hitmen) to move into bangkok wearing red baseball caps,, carrying a fridge and a load of gun parts that could not be made to fire bullets.

They miss Suthep and hit a pick up. Is that the story you are promoting... Thaksin tried to have suthep killed like this.

See who is making the Capital tonight on the stage and collecting yet more money.

Please let us know with reasons rather than insults how you think such an inept attack could have been planned.

Reds are sitting this out apart from a few on the extremities as Suthep needs people to die or there is no coup. Simple and all without the aid of wiki.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the hand in the video is real, run it in slow motion

- it just fades in and then out again

- there is a black artifact which casts on the top corner of the car when the hand appears

- also the obvious one, the height of his hand is almost half the height of his windshield

Are they?

Funny man but you are not a serious poster or commentator. Give us the substance of it please. Just who won the elections and what were the percentages. and what was the highest percent the democrats polled ever.

Shoot the messenger as a phrase has been around since the roman times. Isn't it about time you got a new tactic. Wiki is not perfect, but on the Thailand election results it is totally correct, and you..... you're just wrong again

"Shoot the messenger" is from Roman times? A civilisation that had no guns?

Hahahaha

Not that I'm interested in your squabble but it did catch my eye, as did King Harold who was allegedly shot in the eye by an arrow.............

• Like 2

It proves no such thing. The poster who suggests this has no understanding of the history of these protests and the events that preceded them since Thaksin came to power without ever being elected.

So what you're saying is that the driver of the car, who throws the grenade, is hired by Thaksin?

And Thaksin was never elected huh? Nice history revisionism there. You should update Wikipedia then, because it seems to be wrong.

ROFLMAO, my 6 months old son can mess up with Wikipedia. I am yet to see at least ome serious article (e.g. scientific paper) that has Wiki in the references list.

Is Wiki the best the mafia supporters can come up with to prove a point? Why am I not surprised smile.png

Sent via the app thingy

Are they?

I have better things to do with my life than to teach old farts to read before postings. But this time I will sacrifice 1 minute of my life trying to explain something to low-IQ monkeys.

I said that one should look for more serious sources when they are trying to prove a point. But to do so, it does take some grey substance 5-6 feet above the ground. I understand that not everyone is blessed with it and feel a bit sorry for such folks ... But hey, I am sure that you are a great guy, so don't be too sad ...

Sent via the app thingy

• Like 1

The video clearly shows the car stopping (why would it stop while everyone else is moving?) and then at 0:13 the driver throws something out of the window and it explodes right afterwards. Play it a few times from 0:13 to 0:15 and you'll see it very clearly.

The video and these 3 seconds are going viral among Thais on Facebook. Won't be long until every Thai knows who really bombed the protesters.

Edited by jackrich

Why drop it there?? where there's not many people, why not do it where there's more of a crowd, maximising the damage??
(changing hats from the logical to cynical)
Collateral damage is widely accepted during warfare is it not??
(Changing hats back)
Have they located the driver yet and interviewed him?
Back to the same logic, though, why not throw the grenade, if it was from a window, when the crowd was at it's deepest?

colour me cynical, but i try to apply logic when evaluating such incidents and...

one has to ask who has the most to gain from such an incident at this time? the turn out for the protests has diminished greatly- to the point where you've got maybe 100 people at Asoke, while other 'shut down' intersections were no more. just seems like a very odd time for anyone on the other side to throw petrol on a flame that is dying out on its own. right?

and then the building the grenade is thrown from just happens to have a cache of weapons. gmafb. it's like a bad Thai soap opera where everyone knows what's coming in advance.

all i'm saying is that i'm pretty sure the fearless leader of the protest movement made dam_n sure that the attacker had been tested and retested to make sure he understood how far 30 meters is!

haha very good.

No idea who this was, but it all does seem a bit convenient. Knowing the route of the march in advance, lobbing something 30 meters away from Suthep 'shortly' before he arrived, the culprit lobbing his explosive from his weapon cache safe house' etc etc. As some mentioned yesterday, i am surprised they did not bother leaving their ID card.

You would of thought if they actually wanted to kill someone, especially Suthep they would have waited for him to get there and then shot him, lobbed a number of grenades actually at him. After all according to Abhisit they are very well organized and planned.

They did in the form of a RED cap.That is proof alone.

The video clearly shows the car stopping (why would it stop while everyone else is moving?) and then at 0:13 the driver throws something out of the window and it explodes right afterwards. Play it a few times from 0:13 to 0:15 and you'll see it very clearly.

The video and these 3 seconds are going viral among Thais on Facebook. Won't be long until every Thai knows who really bombed the protesters.

If you watch before you see "something thrown from the car" you will see something at the feet of the protester with the flag.

If you can explain what that is, it will give you a better picture of what happened.

• Like 1

Why drop it there?? where there's not many people, why not do it where there's more of a crowd, maximising the damage??

(Changing hats back)

Back to the same logic, though, why not throw the grenade, if it was from a window, when the crowd was at it's deepest?

Who knows why it was thrown then? Maybe it wasn't planned, but someone just decided that it was a good chance to do it. Maybe they wanted to blow up the car.

• Like 1

(Changing hats back)

Exactly my point.

Suthep had to be the target so why miss him by so much. Think it's been done to death on here and there cannot be many who have not made up their minds by now as to who did what.

Another scenario that I found interesting and plausible is that somebody in the pick up was playing with a grenade (we know they are well armed) and accidently pulled the pin. Thais do that a lot and a woman was shot through the head by her police boyfriend in phuket last month in this way.

It did seem to go off very quickly after coming out of the truck so was on a short fuse, or indeed an accident. Strange times we live in but we do have to try and keep an open mind....

• Like 1

Where did you find out that it was a BB gun? Verified?

Yes, it was verified.

"Rifles" are BB guns. Other equipment (incl walkie talkies) are out-of-date "consumer" models.

Other websites report that the equipment belong to a security company which has a contract to guard the properties belonging to Chula University, and 2 of their guards use this room to sleep. Hence the dated equipment and BB gun.

It is uncertain whether there is any connection between the guards/this room and the grenade attack.

It would be of great benefit to the rest of us for you to identify the source of your information so that a serious discussion on this incident can be more rational and objective. Thank you.

Thanks for asking so nicely - we need more such civil intercourse on TV forums, so I have pleasure in responding to your polite request.

Courtesy of my Thai colleague: http://pantip.com/topic/31529798

It's in Thai, but there are several photos.

The BB gun is conclusive (even in photos). The out-of-date walkie-talkie & other equipment are typical for security guards.

The article also states the name of the security company (Yod Tep Phatan Ltd) (with a photo) and their contract with Chula U to guard the empty properties whilst Chula are clearing the area for further development.

One comical reference therein is a photo of 1 red cap in the room, then another photo when the items were later displayed on a table outside in the street. The latter photo shows lots of red shirts (miraculously appearing) and even a (different) red Walls Ice-Cream hat, with a comment "Hey, I told you to bring red shirts, but I did not tell you to bring ice-cream caps", which is a reference to alleged "planting" of evidence.

The inference is
a) the room and (most of) the belongings/equipment belong to these Chula security guards
b ) the PDRC blackshirts "augmented" to the belongings by adding several red shirts and a Walls icecream cap (the only red items the PDRC guards were able to obtain at short notice)
c) there is no obvious link between this room/their owners and the bombing

i saw the link. The red cap with the logo in the photo is it belong to the police? Some sort of special team i heard of?

If not, just ignore it.

(Changing hats back)

Exactly my point.

Suthep had to be the target so why miss him by so much. Think it's been done to death on here and there cannot be many who have not made up their minds by now as to who did what.

Another scenario that I found interesting and plausible is that somebody in the pick up was playing with a grenade (we know they are well armed) and accidently pulled the pin. Thais do that a lot and a woman was shot through the head by her police boyfriend in phuket last month in this way.

It did seem to go off very quickly after coming out of the truck so was on a short fuse, or indeed an accident. Strange times we live in but we do have to try and keep an open mind....

"we know they are well armed"

Why do you "know" they are well armed?

"so was on a short fuse"

Do grenades have adjustable fuses?

I don't think your mind is very open. You've already decided exactly what happened.

(Changing hats back)

If it was indeed a bomb thrown out of the driver's window, it seems like it was wrapped in a white towel, from what I can tell from the video frames. Maybe the driver had the idea that wrapping the explosives in a white towel would prevent shrapnel from hitting protesters and only causing a scare. He probably didn't think that the shrapnel would go through the towel and hit the protesters, causing the 30+ injured and 1 dead.

I saw someone posting on the PDRC Facebook page asking about this video but it was deleted by the PDRC moderators. I wonder why.

Looks like this video might be the end of Suthep, if it turns out he yet again opened fire on his own people.

• Like 1

(Changing hats back)

Who knows why it was thrown then? Maybe it wasn't planned, but someone just decided that it was a good chance to do it. Maybe they wanted to blow up the car.

An unplanned assasination attempt sounds a little bit suspect, given that in the minutes after this attack, they produced an array of items, and an ID and a red shirt hat, who taught the assasin to throw the grenade Stevie Wonder??

There's too many variables, I'm sure that a thorough investigation by the real CSI Bangkok will place Lord Lucan firmly at the scene along with Miss Scarlet and a candelabra !! :D

If it wasn't for the fact there has been a fatality, and seriously injured innocent people, it would almost be borderline Keystone Cops !

I agree. After watching it a few times, it seems pretty clear the grenade was thrown from the car. The guy then opens the door and runs like hell. So it should be pretty damn easy to figure who was in the car as it was in the procession....

(Changing hats back)

An unplanned assasination attempt sounds a little bit suspect, given that in the minutes after this attack, they produced an array of items, and an ID and a red shirt hat, who taught the assasin to throw the grenade Stevie Wonder??

There's too many variables, I'm sure that a thorough investigation by the real CSI Bangkok will place Lord Lucan firmly at the scene along with Miss Scarlet and a candelabra !! :D

If it wasn't for the fact there has been a fatality, and seriously injured innocent people, it would almost be borderline Keystone Cops !

Assassination attempt? Some reports have Suthep 200 metres away.

Sent from my phone ...

I agree. After watching it a few times, it seems pretty clear the grenade was thrown from the car. The guy then opens the door and runs like hell. So it should be pretty dam_n easy to figure who was in the car as it was in the procession....

Odd, because no matter how many times I watch it, I still very clearly see the item that exploded first bounce up on to the car (you can see a trail of smoke or possibly sand as it does so moving IN the direction of the vehicle) and then back down again. Like what happens when somebody throws a grenade at a car.

• Like 1

I agree. After watching it a few times, it seems pretty clear the grenade was thrown from the car. The guy then opens the door and runs like hell. So it should be pretty dam_n easy to figure who was in the car as it was in the procession....

Having watched it over and over on freeze frame by frame im very sad to see it really does look like a towel either bounces off the car window or comes out of the window and then explodes just before it hits the ground...

"sigh" this leaves not very much room for conclusions. Either

1 the car stopped and the explosive was quickly wrapped in a towel and lobbed out the window, be it a prank or a stupid thai paying with a grenade that got pulled they panic and throw it out then runs off.

Or

2 someone throws it and it bounces off the car same effect, why exactly the guy jumps out and runs off tho isnt explainable.

It could have either been a stupid mistake that went horribly wrong playing with fire or it was intended. Either way it was done by someone in amongst the protesters, if it was the guy in the car you would have to conclude he was known as a protester and not an infiltrator.

ATM Things look pretty conclusive this was self inflicted and it has indeed gone viral. there should be quite a lot some can do to clean up the vid and get a better idea with the right equipment.. If it does turn out to be as it seems atm then this could well be the end of the protests and Suthep after yesterdays shouting and claims is was the other side.

all very tragic and im not happy at all that something like this has happened even if it means it ruins the protests, the price is far too high :(

There is more stupidity in thinking that you can analyze an incident such as this is less than 48 hours based solely on Thai media reports and one 40 sec video than what is currently occurring in some parts of thai society. Everyone wants to speculate and add their insightful opinion. Usually a good starting point is that you don't know and most liking we will never know.

Two people want to assert that either person A with a white cap hiding behind a pole or person B in a vehicle are responsible for dropping a grenade in their immediate vicinity which would thus expose them to serious injury. Only suicide bombers tend to want to expose themselves to being maimed.

Many show their obvious bias in stating that it was obviously the 'Reds' or the PDRC - which is both naive and simplistic - as it fits a simplified narrative that is easy for many to understand when the circumstances are much more complex. There are literally hundreds of diverse groups in Thailand that could have a motivation for undertaking such an incident.

More relevant, there are 10s of thousands of individuals who are armed with various weapons who could easily perpetrate such an incident without any connection what so ever with any political group and for reasons which can have nothing to do with the current political cycle.

Thankfully, professional law enforcement and forensic investigators take weeks, months and even years to painstakingly investigate such cases. There are patently reasonable general grounds, and specific reasons in a politicized case as this, to question the professionalism and objectivity of most criminal investigations in Thailand. However, it can be the case that adequate investigations are conducted in some of these types of cases. As we have seen with some of the 2010 cases which have gone before the courts.

However, at least the investigators don't have to waste time going through either the charade or the reality of a substantial investigation safe in the knowledge that a few TV members have already solved the investigation and can clearly attribute responsibility!

By then most posters will have moved onto the next incident offering their insightful views and solving the case!

May all injured in this incident have a speedy recovery.

I've watched the video many times now. I do see an object coming from the truck just before the explosion. However, it is not clear to me that it came from the window or from someone in the rear of the truck. Someone in the back of the truck leaps out and runs off before the person in the truck gets out and runs off. The people just jumping out and running away seems very unusual to me - still. If you assert they didn't throw an object from the truck, neither person would have known what caused the explosion only that there was an explosion. [No one has actually came forward and said that they saw someone through a grenade from the vacant building.] I would think that their first reaction would be to aid the wounded. At least it would be mine after regaining my wits. I think this video is extremely important evidence and should not be discounted.

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 1

(Changing hats back)

If it was indeed a bomb thrown out of the driver's window, it seems like it was wrapped in a white towel, from what I can tell from the video frames. Maybe the driver had the idea that wrapping the explosives in a white towel would prevent shrapnel from hitting protesters and only causing a scare. He probably didn't think that the shrapnel would go through the towel and hit the protesters, causing the 30+ injured and 1 dead.

I saw someone posting on the PDRC Facebook page asking about this video but it was deleted by the PDRC moderators. I wonder why.

Looks like this video might be the end of Suthep, if it turns out he yet again opened fire on his own people.

Ah, Jackrich the 1/17 truther. What a pity that the white towel with the hand grenade is merely the Thai flag being waved by the guy walking to the left rear of the car.

Thank you Inspector Clouseau.

Another possibility is the grenade is thrown from behind the pickup.

It looks like There is someone wearing a white shirt behind the pickup to the right who may have thrown it wrapped up in a towel or something and runs away in back.

Not a towel

I'm sure it's the perp's white shirt sleeve that flashes out as he throws the grenade and immediately after he runs away from the back and the small driver jumps out.

That is the same conclusion that I reached. But the guy with white shirt sleeve is in the back of the truck, right? Have any of the mainstream media, Thai or English, wrote anything about this?

Not a towel

I'm sure it's the perp's white shirt sleeve that flashes out as he throws the grenade and immediately after he runs away from the back and the small driver jumps out.

That is the same conclusion that I reached. But the guy with white shirt sleeve is in the back of the truck, right? Have any of the mainstream media, Thai or English, wrote anything about this?

Whatever it is, there is something sinister about this . It has a smell about it . I hope some clarification is forthcoming, soon. Incessant attempts to smear the police over political affiliations are wearing very thin .

(Changing hats back)

Exactly my point.

Apart from the forensic police saying the grenade was not launched from the pickup