Nice spots to chill in Southern Thailand?

zanny

Hi, I am a bit older than the usual backpacker crowd, 34. I have clocked up about 6 months of time in Thailand, between all my travels there, mainly Bangkok/Pattaya but I have also been to Koh Chang, Chang Mai, Phuket, Sukhotai and lots of other little places. Some of my best times were those local Thai beaches, on a weekday.

So even though I haven't been there, I want to steer clear of Koh Samui/Phangan/Phi Phi and loud, young tourists. Somewhere a bit quieter, that I can do all the things I enjoy in Thailand, while I read a book, see some history/nature sites, ride a scooter, eat some seafood and duck, flirt with some foreign women, have a massage and drink in a beer bar. No Hiking, but walking is fine.

So I am flying into Phuket, but only staying overnight in Phuket town before heading off on a bus to Krabi. After that, I am travelling overland all the way to KL, to catch my flight home to Melbourne.

What are some nice spots to stop off and stay along the way? Or nice cheap hostels with private rooms, or guesthouses? I have two weeks. My rough itinerary.

Phuket 1 night
Krabi 1 nights
Ao Nang 1 nights
Ko Lanta 1 nights
Hat Yai 2 nights
Songkhla 1 nights
Dannok 1 night
+ two extra nights
Then I head to Malaysia, but I can definitely cut some of this to spend more time in Thailand.
Ipoh 2 nights
Cameron Highlands 2 nights
Pangkor 2 nights
Genting Highlands 1 nights
Kuala Lumpur 2 nights
Thanks in advance.
Edited by zanny

Yeah but I am used to travelling like that, it's not a big deal for me, and a bus from Phuket to the border at Datong is only 7 hours, so these are all pretty short little bus rides. Wake up early, shower and pack my tiny back, go do something, check out of accomodation by noon, get to the bus station, and arrive after 2pm to check into the next place, then go do something again. It doesn't seem like much of a hassle. Also I have been living in one spot (Manila) for 6 months so I am itching to jump onto a bus. I have clocked up about 3 years backpacking around the world so this is all just as normal as breathing for me.......plus as I said, I have two extra days not yet assigned, and I can easily cut some of that Malaysian time and even just go for two nights in Ipoh and then straight to one night in KL.

Telling me how rushed I will be isn't really helpful, I would like some guidance on if I am missing any nice spots or should focus on a certain destination. Or any recommended cultural/historical sites of significance, restaurants, beer bars, hostels, guesthouses, beaches.

Also I can't find any massage schools in the south. Otherwise I would like to do a one week course without having to trudge up to Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Edited by zanny

I have to agree with craigt3365....too hectic your travel plans.

Songkla is a very nice place and may I add the royal town of

Narathiwat. Give Danok a wide miss and visit the other places

longer because Danok is only full of bars & karaoke joints,

restaurants, short time hotels and BG's plus a whole universe

full of drunk Malaysians who visit Danok daily to do in Danok

what they can't legally do in Malaysia. Mind you Danok is smack

on the Thai-Mal border....

post-146250-0-54359400-1390801062_thumb....Thai side of the border.

Then again...if you want a night's blow out before Malaysia;

Danok is good for that but you'll have a nasty hangover

the next day! thumbsup.gif Good luck with your plans...

PS...as for sightseeing...Danok offers a big round number;

"0"....FWIW.

edit to add the last line

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

I think you're spending too much time traveling. If you want to chill, at least 2-3 days in each location would be necessary. Otherwise, all your time is spent traveling, heading to the bus station early and arriving at destinations late in the day. Just my 2 cents worth.

+1

" ...... mainly Bangkok/Pattaya but I have also been to Koh Chang, Chang Mai, Phuket, Sukhotai and lots of other little places.".
Little places? Waoo.

Phuket = Fukit
Krabi = Krappi
Ao Nang = one night only?
Ko Lanta = one night only?
Hat Yai = what the <deleted> are you doing two nights in Hadyai?
Songkhla = two nights in Hatyai but only one night in Songkhla?

Now let me see, you travel half the day, check in to your room late afternoon, stay one night and next morning,
you'll sitt in some kind of transport again to your next destination? I just wonder what do you see, what do you
do when you rush in to a place and rush out the next day?
Now my suggestion, don't worry to much about the places you gona visit, as you won't see anything anyway but
try to make sure, you have a soft pillow to sit on and get some nice seats in the train, bus or minibus.

Now the nicest places here in the south are the ones with the nice people but you wont see any of them.
You're rushing through as if there wouldn't be a tomorrow and so you'll miss out on even the nicest places
you would pass.

For me, the nicest place here in the south is....... I'm not telling ;-)
If I would, those places would be spoiled in a couple of years .

The best advice I can give, reduce your trip to two, maximum three places (2 in Thailand, 1 in Malaysia).
Take your time, travel a bit, stay some days and you'll find out entirely by yourself, where YOU think,
the nicest places are.
  • Like 2

" ...... mainly Bangkok/Pattaya but I have also been to Koh Chang, Chang Mai, Phuket, Sukhotai and lots of other little places.".

Little places? Waoo.

Phuket = Fukit
Krabi = Krappi
Ao Nang = one night only?
Ko Lanta = one night only?
Hat Yai = what the <deleted> are you doing two nights in Hadyai?
Songkhla = two nights in Hatyai but only one night in Songkhla?

Now let me see, you travel half the day, check in to your room late afternoon, stay one night and next morning,

you'll sitt in some kind of transport again to your next destination? I just wonder what do you see, what do you

do when you rush in to a place and rush out the next day?

Now my suggestion, don't worry to much about the places you gona visit, as you won't see anything anyway but

try to make sure, you have a soft pillow to sit on and get some nice seats in the train, bus or minibus.

Now the nicest places here in the south are the ones with the nice people but you wont see any of them.

You're rushing through as if there wouldn't be a tomorrow and so you'll miss out on even the nicest places

you would pass.

For me, the nicest place here in the south is....... I'm not telling ;-)

If I would, those places would be spoiled in a couple of years .

The best advice I can give, reduce your trip to two, maximum three places (2 in Thailand, 1 in Malaysia).

Take your time, travel a bit, stay some days and you'll find out entirely by yourself, where YOU think,

the nicest places are.

I ran outta likes on another thread Joe....good advice given here...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

My $05 worth
Phuket 1 night ok
Krabi 1 nights why?
Ao Nang 1 nights ok
Ko Lanta 1 nights
Hat Yai 2 nights 1 night is plenty, good seafood but expensive
Songkhla 1 nights
Dannok 1 night Why
+ two extra nights
kick back for 3 nights in Lanta and elminate krabi town and Dannok
Ipoh 2 nights 1 is plenty
Cameron Highlands 2 nights boring unless u like nature and Malaysian tourists
Pangkor 2 nights ?? replace with Georgetown in Penang
Genting Highlands 1 nights

You might consider including Khao Lak in your Andaman coast travel plan. The town is nothing special, but the area is great to explore by scooter: a lot of remote beaches, and waterfalls in the hilly forested hinterland. From Khao Lak you can also make one day snorkeling trips to the Surin and Similan islands.

From Khao Lak it is only a short hop to Khao Sok national park, tropical rainforest, lots of walking trails.

I agree with previous posters that your schedule seems a bit stressed out, too many moves in a short period. In my backpacking days, I usually spent at least 2 and more likely 3 nights in each place, unless I instantly disliked it or couldn't find an affordable hotel.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

http://www.streamgarden.org/en/

Take a look at the six minute video. This place is called Stream Garden, and is not far from Had Yai city, in the countryside, amid forest, which is surrounded by mostly rubber trees. This place sure is quiet, unless the sounds of cicadas, crickets, birds, and wind blowing through the trees are "noise" to you. You won't find any beer here, but there's as much coffee and tea as you want. There are no fermented grain drinks here but we do sell fermented fruit drinks! Nor will you find western women to flirt with. They're too interested in self-inquiry along the lines of the teachings of an Indian (India-Indian) man named Krishnamurti. And, there's no seafood as everything's deliciously vegetarian :)) :)). And, we're pretty darn remote so there are no scooters to scoot around on.

However, the rooms and dorms are gorgeous and each has a stunning view of forest (mostly non-rubber tree forest), the people who live and work here, as well as the guests who are currently here, are super friendly. You can certainly read that book, might be able to get a massage, learn some yoga, you can come and do some enemas if you arrange it in advance!, you can take a swim in the stream or at the small reservoir, meditate on or just relax on a perfectly shaped rock next to the stream, you can stroll around the beautifully designed grounds, breathe in deeply the fresh air, and sleep in as long as you like. You can learn a few words in Burmese, Mon, southern Thai, French, English, Danish, Dutch, and let's see, central Thai and even some Lao words!

After you've finished reading your own books, you can read anything from the library of Krishnamurti books in Thai and English, and watch the DVDs of his talks, which even have Thai subtitles! Also, you can engage in the informal discussions that we often have here.

The internet connection here sucks, and the phone reception is not great!

I am living and volunteering here, so I know what I'm talking about. Lastly, in case you hadn't guessed, I'm pitching this place to others just as much as I'm pitching it to you. Really, a lovely lovely place.

Let me modify your itinerary into something more realistic:

Phuket 3

Ao Nang 3 (Krabi Town is side-trip material)

Koh Lanta 3

One day spare, perhaps Songkhla.

Both Hat Yai and Krabi Town (and esp' Dannork blink.png) are probably not worthy of extended amounts of time, but each to their own. I am, too, well travelled but found out that the real enjoyment--unless going through the likes of Kakadu NP, the Rockies, anywhere in NZ's South Island as opposed to rolling along a Thai highway--is the destination.

Go steady and minimize your chance of becoming a bus crash victim. wink.png

Edited by jackr

I am, too, well travelled but found out that the real enjoyment--unless going through the likes of Kakadu NP, the Rockies, anywhere in NZ's South Island as opposed to rolling along a Thai highway--is the destination.

am well traveled ( by car, bicycle, motorbike, trians, bus, air) as well ( no idea what that has to do with anything) all over Asia, europe, Africa, America

100% disagree;

its the journey NOT the destination

As someone that has logged sime serious time in the Andaman, can tell you the plan is a total fail imo. The places you have chosen have either been rubbished by tourism or are big zeros.

If you want chill, you need to get out to the np's. Everything else is just total bs.

Lanta SUCKS

IMO, the best place by far to chill are the unspoilt beaches of Khanom, home of the pink dolphins - and it's only twenty minutes to the Donsak/Koh Samui ferry if you want to party. It would mean flying into Surat Thani (don't stay there) rather than Phuket, and then catching a bus (80 minutes trip).

Look it up on google - it's a paradise....

From there you can cut across to the Andaman side (4 hour trip to Krabi).

IMO, the best place by far to chill are the unspoilt beaches of Khanom, home of the pink dolphins - and it's only twenty minutes to the Donsak/Koh Samui ferry if you want to party. It would mean flying into Surat Thani (don't stay there) rather than Phuket, and then catching a bus (80 minutes trip).

Look it up on google - it's a paradise....

From there you can cut across to the Andaman side (4 hour trip to Krabi).

Sorry, but I disagree on Khanom. it's boring and the beach is filthy. There are no pink dolphins to be seen near Khanom. We spent a week there and I was sure that had we not left when we did, I'd have walked in and found a different type of swinger. I am banned from suggesting "quiet" places to visit, for the next few road trips. The airport transportation options are less expensive if one uses Nakhon Si Thammarat and not Surat Thani. Both are similar distance to Khanom.

You are right about Phuket. It's not worth the visit. Wait until he tries to get a "cheap" taxi or tuk tuk ride. Ao Nang was rather boring, but we used it for a jumping off point to see the islands. We did those in one day. Add in another day to relax and visit Raily and that puts 2 days for krabi.

I really think a different approach should be considered. Go North. Chiang Mai, as boring as I think it is, is far more interesting. Udon Thani, Khon Kaen are all worth a visit and can be done in a day. How about starting in Ubon and taking the train south? Start in Udon and 90 minutes later you are in KK then bus ride over to Ubon, and the night train down to Ayutthaya, spend the day seeing the beautiful temples, spend the night or grab the train to Bangkok. Sleep over or leave that night and take the southern train. You can stop off in Hua Hin, or Surat Thani or Chumphon and then Hat Yai. For added excitement stop off in Yala and hug an insurgent and then back on the train to Malaysia.

Actually, this is my dream itinerary. As soon as I can blackmail at least one person to go with me, I aim to do this trip. I tried begging and even bribery and not one person I asked would agree. Thais can be snobby. Or as one of my friends said, there are airplanes. sad.png

• Like 1

I really think a different approach should be considered. Go North. Chiang Mai, as boring as I think it is, is far more interesting. Udon Thani, Khon Kaen are all worth a visit and can be done in a day. How about starting in Ubon and taking the train south? Start in Udon and 90 minutes later you are in KK then bus ride over to Ubon, and the night train down to Ayutthaya, spend the day seeing the beautiful temples, spend the night or grab the train to Bangkok. Sleep over or leave that night and take the southern train. You can stop off in Hua Hin, or Surat Thani or Chumphon and then Hat Yai. For added excitement stop off in Yala and hug an insurgent and then back on the train to Malaysia.

Actually, this is my dream itinerary. As soon as I can blackmail at least one person to go with me, I aim to do this trip. I tried begging and even bribery and not one person I asked would agree. Thais can be snobby. Or as one of my friends said, there are airplanes. sad.png

The Mea Hong Song loop, you can throw some Wan Nam Kiow in there (but not on the weekends) and some Phi Mai although Korat city is a faceless dump so can be avoided. Kanchanaburi? Nang Rong?

Edited by angsta

Like others have said, I think your itinerary is ill at ease with the rest of your post. But we're all different. For my money I would cut back on much of it and spend a few days on Penang & Langkawi, but whatever floats your boat. Enjoy.

Not much to see around Ipoh! whistling.gif

But some good suggestions from some here! Songkhla city and Hat Yai, not that far apart, why do both?... stay in one or the other and do day trips...

Outta likes SJ. Too true about Ipoh & 50/50 on Songkla-Hat Yai....however....

I like Songkla much better than HY.

Not much to see around Ipoh! whistling.gif

But some good suggestions from some here! Songkhla city and Hat Yai, not that far apart, why do both?... stay in one or the other and do day trips...

Outta likes SJ. Too true about Ipoh & 50/50 on Songkla-Hat Yai....however....

I like Songkla much better than HY.

I agree Sunshine ! Actually the OP should not hard plan the whole trip, as being spontaneous can be more interesting... Trying to see too much and not have time to take anything in.... actually there are areas around Pattalung that are interesting, Thali Noi lake area, is one, for my books!....thumbsup.gif

I echo what others have said, it's too much time on actual trips and not enough relaxing. The thread title says chilling, dude!

I'd knock Phuket on the head, for starters and Krabi.

You'll be arriving afternoon, showering and getting out but morning on the road again. Personally, I'd go for 3 day stops in a few places. Ko Lipe on that side even and extra day on Lanta or Ao Nang or you won't be chilling, you'll be knackered, mate!!

There is a nice street of 5 or 6 bars in Haad Yai but it's not worth 2 nights

• Like 1