JingThingThings That PadGraPao Is Super. But PaNangMo Is BETTER

PedMakMakMakMak

I agree with JingThing that PadGraPao moo is really scrumptious, and I eat a plate of it just about every day, either Moo, Chicken, Shrimp, I am a Basil man,

Through and Through.

But my heart belongst to not harry, nor hairy,

But to PaNang Moo.

So would people please comment on just about my favorite dish?

It would mean a lot to me if you would provide your special cooking details for this dish,

Or let us know any oddities or interesting facts where it comes from, or cultural influences.

Surely PanNang Moo, or Gai, is the King of SE Asian Food.

I like it with plenty of Jasmine Rice the higher quality.

And I like to add some dried fried red chili peppars,

And wash it all down with an Ice Cold Coke.

That is heaven, and I don't tire of it,

Ever.

In comparison.

PanNang Moo seems to be a curried dish which comes with a balanced fluidial(Indian/Minty) taste. PadGraPao moo is dryer, fishy(Thai/Basily) and directly flavoured.

Edited by Dancealot

In comparison.

PanNang Moo seems to be a curried dish which comes with a balanced fluidial(Indian/Minty) taste. PadGraPao moo is dryer, fishy(Thai/Basily) and directly flavoured.

Yes, of course the Basil is the thing that sets the PadGraPao apart because it is right in the name of the dish.

Panang Moo or Gai have a very smooth textue to the sauce, which I assume is produced using coconut juice/milk.

So far, I have not found anything in Thailand I enjoy more, but I can't eat it everyday like I can PadGraPao, of which I never tire.

Pad gra pow is a central Thailand dish whereas phanaeng is from the southern Thailand. Phanaeng is another type of Thai curry dishes but it has a quiet sweet taste to it, the sauce is a little bit thicker, and it contains ground peanut. Personally, I don't care for phanaeng as I don't like much of any curry dishes. I do however love pad gra pow gai!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Pad gra pow is a central Thailand dish whereas phanaeng is from the southern Thailand. Phanaeng is another type of Thai curry dishes but it has a quiet sweet taste to it, the sauce is a little bit thicker, and it contains ground peanut. Personally, I don't care for phanaeng as I don't like much of any curry dishes. I do however love pad gra pow gai!

Thank you for the correct spelling of Phanaeng. To me it tastes quiet, flat, sweet and often too much coconut juice is added which ruins the dish, like in this picture from wikipedia:

250px-Phanaeng_kai.jpg

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

I tried it once and that was it. I don't like peanut in a meal. I prefer food that is hot, spicy, and has lot of flavors. I think OP might like satay.

But no moo PingThing..

Oh I like moo ping and gai ping but not satay. They are not the same thing. Satay has it own recipe. Which one you prefer?

I tried it once and that was it. I don't like peanut in a meal. I prefer food that is hot, spicy, and has lot of flavors. I think OP might like satay.

But no moo PingThing..

Oh I like moo ping and gai ping but not satay. They are not the same thing. Satay has it own recipe. Which one you prefer?

I dont prefer but I like moo ping because it's raw meat grilled on a natural fire. In addition sticky rice, fresh chili's, chilli powder, garlic and fish sauce to dip. Plah rah (ปลาร้า) as well, if it's available.

But no moo PingThing..

I dont prefer but I like moo ping because it's raw meat grilled on a natural fire. In addition sticky rice, fresh chili's, chilli powder, garlic and fish sauce to dip. Plah rah (ปลาร้า) as well, if it's available.

Wow, you eat plah rah? Where are you from? Never met foreigners who will eat plah rah. And, sorry OP for being off the topic.

Panang Moo or Gai have a very smooth textue to the sauce, which I assume is produced using coconut juice/milk.

So far, I have not found anything in Thailand I enjoy more, but I can't eat it everyday like I can PadGraPao, of which I never tire.

You prefer PadGraPao and you state Phanaeng is better and more close to your heart(reading from your OP)....blink.png

There are at least three common versions of phanaeng. One version includes ground peanuts which make the sauce gritty. Another (perhaps the most common) doesn't have the ground peanuts, but sometimes has peanuts as an ingredient for the curry paste. And then there is the southern Thai version, which is markedly more spicy.

• Like 1

In order to stay on topic we should start discussing the ingredients and various cooking methods to make a decent, home made Phanaeng curry.

Lets us get back to the topic then.

OP, phanaeng is very simple and easy to make, the main ingredients are curry paste, coconut milk, meat and vegetables of your choice, they are accessible throughout Thai market places.

OP, phanaeng is very simple and easy to make, the main ingredients are curry paste, coconut milk, meat and vegetables of your choice, they are accessible throughout Thai market places.

Right, thumbsup.gif Can anyone recommend a curry paste which I can buy in Tesco for phanaeng?

Right, thumbsup.gif Can anyone recommend a curry paste which I can buy in Tesco for phanaeng?

Undoubtedly the best brand of curry pastes sold in Tesco-Lotus (I'm assuming that's what you meant - not the UK supermarket) is the one that comes in small glass jars and costs about 45 Baht. It keeps well in the fridge after opening. That range of pastes is small, but does include a phanaeng paste.

A brand to avoid is Lobo. Their pastes are way too salty.

Undoubtedly the best brand of curry pastes sold in Tesco-Lotus (I'm assuming that's what you meant - not the UK supermarket) is the one that comes in small glass jars and costs about 45 Baht. It keeps well in the fridge after opening. That range of pastes is small, but does include a phanaeng paste.

Thank you very much, AyG.thumbsup.gif That's excactly what the (removedwhistling.gif )OP meant. Tesco-Lotus, indeed, not the UK branch. I am looking for the brand name of the jar in question now..coffee1.gif

In order to stay on topic we should start discussing the ingredients and various cooking methods to make a decent, home made Phanaeng curry.

Yes, Phanaeng is simple and easy to make. I think the order you add the ingridients are essential. Start with currypaste and meat. Not to much oil, make it greasy. and last the coconut milk to take down the spice.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, AyG.thumbsup.gif That's excactly what the (removedwhistling.gif )OP meant. Tesco-Lotus, indeed, not the UK branch. I am looking for the brand name of the jar in question now..coffee1.gif

The brand name (je let) is only written in Thai script on the jar. That shouldn't be a problem, since it's the only brand of curry paste they stock that comes in a jar. It does have "PANANG CURRY PASTE" in English on the label, though, along with a picture of the curry.

• 2 weeks later...

Roi Thai has a base for massaman that I use, the coconut milk is already added. I think that they also have a base for phanaeng but I've never tried it.

The Penang base made by Roi Thai is excellent, I use it all the time in combination with fresh penang curry paste from the market.

Love to add some baby corn, big chunks of the large green chilli peppers, some hot red small chillies and finely chopped up lime leaves.

Start by frying the fresh penang curry paste in a little bit of oil to release the flavours, add sliced pork and stir until the pork is covered with paste, careful not to burn the paste.

Add the Roi Thai penang soup, add some palm sugar and lime juice and naam plaa to your taste, let it simmer until the pork is well done and tender and finally add the baby corn, chillies and lime leaves.

Cook for some minutes more until the corn is done, enjoy.

Penang moo gets my vote...aroi mak...definately in my top five!

Although my wife is an excellent cook, she never cooks Penang moo, we have so many local purveyors(stalls) of quality dishes, she only cooks the things that she feels no one else cooks as well as she i,e. Pad Hoi Li (pad pua bua) and her excellent BBQ pork ribs! To name a few..

Penang moo gets my vote...aroi mak...definately in my top five!

Although my wife is an excellent cook, she never cooks Penang moo, we have so many local purveyors(stalls) of quality dishes, she only cooks the things that she feels no one else cooks as well as she i,e. Pad Hoi Li (pad pua bua) and her excellent BBQ pork ribs! To name a few..

Mmmmhh, Pad Hoi Li, one of my favorites as well. A little bit difficult to get real fresh Hoi Li here in Korat.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app