Where to get GOOD legit massage?

Kaiho87

I found one topic where they recommended a girl named Joy who worked at Full Moon Massage @ Loi Kroh Road.

I had my doubts seeing the location, but I tracked her down, got a massage from her, but didn't get anything better than a really average Chiang Mai massage.

So far I've found the best ones at the Old Medicine Hospital school (they also offer massages there), but you have to be lucky depending on the person who's doing the massage, and a lot of women work there.

Does anyone have any experience getting a high quality massage in Chiang Mai, and knows the name of this woman and the location? What I mean by high quality massage, is a massage that doesn't feel like a racecar routine massage (99% of massages you get in Chiang Mai seem to be like this). I want a massage where the woman's touch is delicate and where she puts feeling into it. A massage Where the practitioner is relaxed, and makes you feel relaxed as well. (basically like 90% of massages you get in the West. Technically it shouldn't be that difficult to find, but surprisingly I'm finding it very difficult.)

I know quite a bit of massage myself, and find receiving a bad massage very frustrating, so any recommendations are highly appreciated!

I had a professional Massage Therapist in Canada. She had two years of training. There was times when she had to use her elbow to get to a knot in my muscles. It sounds to me like all the OP wants is some one to gentle rub their body. Not sure what the benefit from that is but to each their own. I once made the mistake of saying a medium massage instead of gentle massage at the Blind massage in the old city. Never again. Now I ask for the gentle one.

I haven't been to any of the non-legit places, but word says the places at Loi Kroh road with the scarcely dressed girls outside are a pretty safe bet for special services if you happen to grow a visible boner during an oil massage. Thanks for recommendation by the way.

Edited by Kaiho87

I had a professional Massage Therapist in Canada. She had two years of training. There was times when she had to use her elbow to get to a knot in my muscles. It sounds to me like all the OP wants is some one to gentle rub their body. Not sure what the benefit from that is but to each their own. I once made the mistake of saying a medium massage instead of gentle massage at the Blind massage in the old city. Never again. Now I ask for the gentle one.

I've studied massage for quite a while myself, so believe me when I know what I'm talking about.

A massage doesn't need to be super powerful in order to be extraordinarily effective.

Whether soft or strong has nothing to do with the quality of the massage.

If you think massages in Chiang Mai are high quality, either you've never had a good massage, or you have very dull nerves.

hmmm I think I can recommend something. I have tried many massage shops here in Chiang Mai, including almost all on Loi Kroh street. And that's right, some of them do not have any idea about massage, which is quite annoying, offerng special services instead. I was quite lucky to get some of those special services for free sometimes, by saying that I don't want to waste my money for anything like this :)

So, one that I want to recommend was very different. I went there to get oil massage. For my surprise, I was adviced to keep my underwear on me. A bit disappointing, but massage was really great. After that, I am always going there, as I realized that I prefer good massage not special services.

So that shop is on Loi Kroh, on the right side (walking from old city). I think it was 2nd or 3rd massage shop on the right, with "Orchid" something in the name.

I had massage done there by 3 different ladies (not too young and not too beautiful) and they all done excellent job.

Let me know what you think after you try.

I would recommend Moonlight Massage which is across the street from Zoe in Yellow and the Reague Bar Area.

Ask for WON (One) she is the owner.

If you want a soft relaxing massage say Bow Bow (Soft Soft).

I've had a few 1000 massages in Chiang Mai and she is one of my favorites.

Completely Legit... no worry about extra services being offered.

Enjoy.

i have been getting massage (originally at school behind Nim center) from same two people - a brother and sister... Khun Sert and Khun Phet.

Sert specializes in nerve massages and everyone i recommend to him has appreciated his skills. His sister Phet is a deeper muscle type of massage person.

Both pay close attention to the needs/requests of the customer.

They have opened their own shop now...Sutis Thai massage... phone 0895560210

Going around the moat, like you are going to Wuluwai (silver) Street... but go past Wuluwai to next traffic light, turn left.

About halfway down the street, on the right is a large parking lot, next to GSB (pink bank)... there are some newish offices at the back of the parking lot...

First office, far left.

I have had many aches and pains over the years and they folks always fix me up.

The Chuthutaveat & Spa, not far from Big C and Makros in Hang Dong on the Hang Dong Road. Not expensive and all professional staff. The wife and I often go there.

Here is the website:

http://www.chutthaimassage.com/aboutus.html

And a site with map:

http://www.thailannaspaassociation.com/2012/?page=spa&id=26

The two girls pictured below may join you in the sauna if you are young hansum man.

post-110219-0-32405100-1391542673_thumb.

For a more delicate/ relaxing massage, I would recommend a place called Relax Land. Google should be able to show you the exact location.

As far as "legit" massage, I'd *REALLY* would love to know where some of you are going. After 6 years in Chiang Mai, I've never, ever, ever been offered anything except a legit massage! I'm starting to believe all these "non-legit" places are figments of people's wishful imaginations. If anyone would like to convince me otherwise, feel free to shoot me a PM of names and locations of these non-legit places and I'll investigate further. You know, for science. wink.png

-Mestizo

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Are you wearing a priest outfit or something? I can't remember ever NOT being offered "extra services."

• Like 2

I find HOME MASSAGE Loi kroh road really good. Iv been told its one of the oldest in Chiang mai. Never had a bad massage there. All the women are very experienced. Give it a bash!smile.png

It was owned by that obnoxious red bearded Jock, who is as friendly as a bear with a sore foot and believes he`s doing the customers a favour by serving them.

Is mad fighting Angus still there?

The Chuthutaveat & Spa, not far from Big C and Makros in Hang Dong on the Hang Dong Road. Not expensive and all professional staff. The wife and I often go there.

Here is the website:

And a site with map:

The two girls pictured below may join you in the sauna if you are young hansum man.

I have also been there a few times, and gotten an ok-to-good massage depending on who was assigned to me. Last time was best, some woman with good English who explained to me that she was doing "therapeutic" massage. I forgot to ask what her name was unfortunately, but perhaps if you ask for "therapeutic" massage, you will get her, or similar.

I have never seen anyone there I would like to join me in the sauna at this place however, so suspect. Mr. Beetlejuice is pulling our chain with that picture.

Could of course be I am not hansum enough, so they hide when they see me wobbling in.

Regarding who will massage you, I have never experienced any shop having any problem with you asking for a particular woman to massage you. If the OP knows a good place already, I don't understand why he does not simply ask for the person. Most shops will also allow you to call in and make a booking, though that might be a bit difficult for those of us who do not speak Thai well of course.

I prefer a man for massage. Mr. Wang has given me many fine massages. Located on the lower floor of Kad Suan keaw just past the blue food court and on the right. If you get to man who fixes watches you've gone too far.phone number is083-321-6556. 150baht for 1hour foot or total body.

Here is the website:

And a site with map:

I have also been there a few times, and gotten an ok-to-good massage depending on who was assigned to me. Last time was best, some woman with good English who explained to me that she was doing "therapeutic" massage. I forgot to ask what her name was unfortunately, but perhaps if you ask for "therapeutic" massage, you will get her, or similar.

I have never seen anyone there I would like to join me in the sauna at this place however, so suspect. Mr. Beetlejuice is pulling our chain with that picture.

Could of course be I am not hansum enough, so they hide when they see me wobbling in.

Regarding who will massage you, I have never experienced any shop having any problem with you asking for a particular woman to massage you. If the OP knows a good place already, I don't understand why he does not simply ask for the person. Most shops will also allow you to call in and make a booking, though that might be a bit difficult for those of us who do not speak Thai well of course.

Those two beautiful sauna girls are featured on the Chuthutaveat & Spa websites, but unfortunately I have never seen them there either. If they were I would leave the wife at home and go alone.

Well, there you go, the OP is spoilt for choice. Some good recommendations from some of us old hands here.

• 1 year later...

I prefer a man for massage. Mr. Wang has given me many fine massages. Located on the lower floor of Kad Suan keaw just past the blue food court and on the right. If you get to man who fixes watches you've gone too far.phone number is083-321-6556. 150baht for 1hour foot or total body.

I would be a bit hesitant to get a massage from a man named Mr. Wang. laugh.png

• Like 1

I've just written a post about the best massages in Chiang Mai in my opinion, with a breakdown on cost, treatments, directions etc. Hopefully it's helpful: http://www.justinewharton.com/2015/03/30/best-massage-chiang-mai/

"30thb (or 10%) is considered a reasonable tip."

Is that completely out of whack, or am I being the one-week idiot millionaire by never tipping less than 100B for an averagely decent Thai massage?

Having in the past also had one or two friends who worked at the lower end massage shops, I never heard any of them express anything but disdain for the 20-40B tippers. And that was 10 years ago. At low-end places. Not the spa-like places the above blog posting refers to.

• Like 2

I've just written a post about the best massages in Chiang Mai in my opinion, with a breakdown on cost, treatments, directions etc. Hopefully it's helpful: http://www.justinewharton.com/2015/03/30/best-massage-chiang-mai/

Is that completely out of whack, or am I being the one-week idiot millionaire by never tipping less than 100B for an averagely decent Thai massage?

Having in the past also had one or two friends who worked at the lower end massage shops, I never heard any of them express anything but disdain for the 20-40B tippers. And that was 10 years ago. At low-end places. Not the spa-like places the above blog posting refers to.

At the place I go to in which I've only seen maybe 3 farangs in 8 years time, the Thais always tip 100 Baht after a 2 hour massage.

30 thb is definitely not considered a reasonable tip.

May I suggest Khun Noy

https://sites.google.com/site/physiotherapywaterclass/

Noy is a qualified Physiowhatever, Masters Degree Mahidol University, with over 25 years practical experience.

Over the years I have seen Noy work with recovering victims of Stroke, heart attack and motoring injuries at the Center of the Universe swimming pool.

I have a problem with a bad knee, self inflicted wound.

Two Drs at Ram suggested after X Ray, bone problems and treated with drugs.

Noy made a check over and recommended I walk backwards in the pool for 30 mins.

Pain went and knee was just sore.

All that I have spoke too, over half a dozen, speak highly of Khun Noy and her methods.

john

Message member 'Eyecatcher' on here, he knows a thing or two about a good massage.

Are there some amusing stories in that regard that he wants to share with the rest of us?

Message member 'Eyecatcher' on here, he knows a thing or two about a good massage.

Are there some amusing stories in that regard that he wants to share with the rest of us?

Lots....

Though we were not too impressed by the falang who came by one evening two weeks ago; was afraid to come in because there were foot massages going on.

And asked " do you do body massages" and quickly followed up by asking " and do you massage down here" (pointing of course)

"no we dont massage down there you need to go the cheap places in the city" the wife retorted trying to embarras him.

I saw the guy the next day with his wife near ksk.

In fairness I wasnt surprised he eas lacking.

And if course now its the Chinese with all their apparently disgusting habits. Well i have absolutely no objection to them walking around naked.

I seem to be spending more time there lately.

And yes anyone can pm me and can find any therapist to suit you; strong, gentle, man, woman, old young ,experienced or qualified teachers . I like everyone has a particular preference and anyone else is by comparison not up to it....but thats completely unfair.

I cant promote my own spa but you can choose any massage or spa in Nimmen area to suit your spending power and I will send you a therapist to your spec and not random. Is that a fair offer?

On tipping the ladies really apprecite 100bt for an hour or even 2hr. Please dont give my ladies 1000bt though. Last month they disappeared on a 3 day spending spree.

A tip of 20bt is considered an insult and its really better not to give anything then they think you forgot.

The language expressed by 20bt well i offer to take it from them and tell them they should be grateful.

• Like 1

The daily minimum wage is 300B.

Why do people always insist on raising this issue? If you are going to a good quality massage place, the therapists are professionals, have been doing their job for many years, and are not working for 300 a day. At the place I go to, the therapists not only receive good tips but they get 50% of the fee for the massage. It's not a retail shop on Loy Kroh.

300 is the wage for an unskilled laborer.

The daily minimum wage is 300B.

Why do people always insist on raising this issue? If you are going to a good quality massage place, the therapists are professionals, have been doing their job for many years, and are not working for 300 a day. At the place I go to, the therapists not only receive good tips but they get 50% of the fee for the massage. It's not a retail shop on Loy Kroh.

300 is the wage for an unskilled laborer.

300B is what you pay someone to shift sand around all day. Anything that requires skill is higher.

The MOL has a list of wages for all kinds of skilled workers. This press release lists some changes that came into effect two years ago.

For massage:

Level 1 Thai massage therapist - 440 baht

Level 2 Thai massage therapist - 580 baht

Level 3 Thai massage therapist - 720 baht

From the Nation

An article about how in some areas of Bangkok, finding workers for less than 500B/day is difficult, so some more real rates.

Daily hire rates

Bt500 for basic labour

Bt500-Bt900 for skilled work

Skilled workers:

breakdown in types of work

Bt600-Bt700: Tiler

Bt800: Welder

Bt600-Bt900: Plasterer

Bt600-Bt800: Carpenter

Bt600-Bt700: Electrician

Bt700: Painter

Bt500-Bt600: Planter/gardener