Through the Window type Air-con

Sarathi

Anyone know where to get an air conditioner that is a single unit - the type you push against a window? Bangkok area.

The reason is I have a room where it is not possible to access the outside of the window to hang a compressor.

Many thanks.

You may consider a portable A/C unit with a long, flexible duct on the back to exhaust hot air, and stick the duct out the window. The unit itself sits on the floor, and they're available in different sizes in most appliance stores plus BigC, Tesco, etc.

Stay away from evaporative coolers if it's an enclosed space, otherwise you'll end up with 100% humidity and no cooling action. If it doesn't have an exhaust duct, it's probably an evaporative cooler.

The only place I recall that I've ever seen window units (like back home) are 2nd hand units in Chinatown, and even they are wired for 110V/60Hz and would be useless in Thailand which runs on 220/50.

These are stock photos, but give you the gist of it.

Portable-ac-window-vent.jpgportable-air-conditioner-window.jpg

Edited by impulse

Thanks - yes I have been looking at the ones with the pipe, but I need to seal the room (due to breathing problems). I did find one make, a Gree, that's the same type, but could be put against the window with a bit of fettling.

I used the 2nd hand Japanese ones from Klong Thom (chinatown) for 10 years, with a power adapter. But they are no longer sold there - the guy says they are too expensive compared to proper air-cons, and even in Japan there's only one company remaining that makes them.

I have seen a few Window type air-cons in Thailand, installed in buildings - but the owners have no idea where the units came from.

Looks liek I'll have to go with the Gree at 20 000 baht.

Just got back from Chinatown and there's a little nook where they sell new and refurb window units. (If they're not new, I can't tell)

All seem to be 110 V, with 10,000 BTU and priced around 8,500 baht being typical.

To get there, face Khlong Thom market from the main road, take the side street (alley) to the left of the building, and walk down the alley about 100 meters and hang a left turn at the used televisions. I can't tell if it's one vendor with a lot of people, or a lot of vendors. There were about a dozen window units on display, with quite a few pumping out cold air- so they have to be compatible with the power there- perhaps with transformers.

GPS is N 13 44 46.4 E 100 30 28.8

Edited by impulse

Can't you get a stand up 'chiller' without the exhaust bit

Not a humidifier but just runs on the plug? I am sure we have them here in the middle east, of all sizes

They work on evaporative cooling and work great where the humidity is low. In Thailand, they'll work until the humidity in the room reaches 100%, then they no longer cool. They can work marginally well in the outdoors in Thailand where there's always a flow of unsaturated air, but not very well in enclosed spaces.