Patient dies on the bed in Bangkok Rama II hospital fire

webfact

is "luck sickness?"

Very obviously it meant lung sickness as previously quoted in the report.

Oh right, how obvious that luck is short for Lucky Strikes and that could cause lung disease.

I thought I read an alcoholic with a lung complaint? Ohhh wrong again...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is a lot of information lacking in this story. Maybe the police will put together what happened as the hospital may not be interested in any information that might lead to its neglect.

1) Did the patient have on him a cigarette and lighter? According to the hospital, "the patient pressed a button calling call a nurse for a permission to smoke at 900 p.m...." He wasn't asking for a cigarette, only permission to use one.

2) Was he in a hospital gown? If so such things like cigarettes and lighter would have been taken away.He could have otherwise had cigarettes and lighter in his self.

3) How was the fire detected? Was there a fire alarm? Are there smoke detectors in the rooms?

4) If he was a suicide risk how frequently was he checked? Sounds like they tied him up for the night and walked away.

I have heard this hospital has a nickname...the hospital of death.

The problem here lies in the fact that Thailand will not recognise mental illness. Nobody Thai has mental illness or disease - all are perfect. A visit to a psychiatrist is loss of face to the family, and is totally unacceptable, and therefore even children presenting with neurosis are prohibited from leaving the home. Archaic and bombastic and disgusting - then again, what does Thailand want to learn from the West? - nothing. Monks know more than Jung and Freud exemplified. I don't know of any one infirmary in Thailand dealing with psychosis, or psychiatric problems or presented neuroses, apart from Bankok Hospital for foreigners. Then again, there are lots of escape routes in wats, and collecting plastic bottles to survive instinctually.

Monks here really don't know much at all! Not even about what they should know about!

Me thinks you missed my sarcasm. ;)

Clearly this man died of "Luck" disease. He was fit to be Thai-ed. Which technically is a disease of the luck.

This is definitely a TIT story, and should not leave

Her borders.

Whatever you do, DO NOT tell Greta Van Susteren at Fox news about this. She is already fit to be tied.over the MH370 Thai Air Force radar fiasco.

Clearly this man died of "Luck" disease. He was fit to be Thai-ed. Which technically is a disease of the luck.

This is definitely a TIT story, and should not leave

Her borders.

Whatever you do, DO NOT tell Greta Van Susteren at Fox news about this. She is already fit to be tied.over the MH370 Thai Air Force radar fiasco.

RIP to the poor gentleman. My prayers are with his family. A very sad event.

I have been in Bangkok hospital rooms with barred windows and no sharp objects etc., several times. They are very aware that people like myself who are terminally ill might decide to cash out suddenly, this is especially true because if you are very sick already and then factor in staring at hospital walls all day, depression becomes a factor even for people with no history of this.

Personally I'm always happy when I'm in hospital, I can read my books and joke with the nurses, but they still make sure I'm in a secure room because there is no cure for my illness and many people in my position choose the "Dignitas" path or a DIY equivalent.

And it is difficult for the patient and for the staff - it is not a situation that can be made more cheerful, the best they can do is protect you from yourself and stop you from disturbing other ill people. It is a very difficult balance for the staff to maintain, and very sad when it breaks down.

Edited by Yunla

Luck sickness....addicted to gambling...believing in lucky numbers and charms.....playing lotteries all the time with perceived lucky numbers....

Not funny, except perhaps to those who find death by negligence an opportunity for humor.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<deleted> is "luck sickness?"

It is a sickness I have on lotto night, It is sometimes called No luck or no luck Yingluck.

No Yingluck would be good luck for Thailand.

Your Joking !! Ask all the farmers who haven't been paid if they agree with you.

<deleted> is "luck sickness?"

Medical doctor no good for "luck sickness.' He need divination, astrology, spell, potion, tattos from shaman

to make bad spirits go away! RIP.

Room 405 that will be my lottery number next week.

Derogatory remarks about monks that have nothing to do with this case. Buddhism is known to have quite a few apt treatments both for people with mental problems as well as addictions. The fact that you, yourself, have not practised or investigated this reflects in some of the comments. As with all news negative news is interesting for the masses, positive news less so. This does not mean you should judge 'the monks' as a group from some silly encounters. Just as one should not judge 'farangs' by the bar hanging crowd or 'Thais' by the uneducated crowd. If you are interested there are many books (used in the West) about Buddhist psychology as well as centers for treatment of addicts.

'The director said a reason to tie the patient to the bed was because he had background of suicide attempts, and always leaving the room to disturb other patients.'

That is a feeble attempt to explain why a patient was tied to a bed.

You don't want to know how some of the mentally ill are treated. Thailand's use of restraints is about 50 years behind the civilized world.