Full Re-spray on a 4x4

Steps

To do a proper colour change the motor really has to be stripped, that means pulling the engine out too, and any wiring etc under to hood on the bulk head and inner wings. Very time consuming operation, so is expensive. Simple same colour blow over is waaaaaaaay cheaper.

I remember a time from when I lived in the west, that motor compartments were sprayed black, regardless of which color the bodywork was.

• Like 1

To do a proper colour change the motor really has to be stripped, that means pulling the engine out too, and any wiring etc under to hood on the bulk head and inner wings. Very time consuming operation, so is expensive. Simple same colour blow over is waaaaaaaay cheaper.

I remember a time from when I lived in the west, that motor compartments were sprayed black, regardless of which color the bodywork was.

Sorry can't help it, I remember a time when all cars were black.. [only high end cars often were 2 tone]

Believe way back in the 60's VW Beetle was one of the 1st cars that was dipped, so every part was the same colour inside and out. now-a-day is normal.

Many places spray cars, most done in the open or under a car port lean to affair, in my area only know 1 place that has a full spray booth, waiting time 4 - 6 months, of course a lot different in price... saying that next house in Village had a 13,000 baht blow over and a small repair done over 2 years ago, still looks as if just done, so even some cheaper places do a good job.

• Like 1

Sorry can't help it, I remember a time when all cars were black.. [only high end cars often were 2 tone]

Believe way back in the 60's VW Beetle was one of the 1st cars that was dipped, so every part was the same colour inside and out. now-a-day is normal.

Many places spray cars, most done in the open or under a car port lean to affair, in my area only know 1 place that has a full spray booth, waiting time 4 - 6 months, of course a lot different in price... saying that next house in Village had a 13,000 baht blow over and a small repair done over 2 years ago, still looks as if just done, so even some cheaper places do a good job.

As far as I know until today cars are spray painted at the manufacturer using robots and a electro static process.Dipping only happens for the chassis.

And what I am talking about is late eighties, early nineties maybe, that there were cars that had their motor compartments in black, regardless of the body color.

• Like 1

As far as I know until today cars are spray painted at the manufacturer using robots and a electro static process.Dipping only happens for the chassis.

And what I am talking about is late eighties, early nineties maybe, that there were cars that had their motor compartments in black, regardless of the body color.

No idea, but on a School trip to VW plant in Germany the Beetle was fully dipped.... just tried to find something from back then on the web,, appears they still dip the Golf...

No idea how to post a Video, so here is a 2011 Golf picture

post-42643-0-15931500-1398416342_thumb.j

• Like 1

No idea, but on a School trip to VW plant in Germany the Beetle was fully dipped.... just tried to find something from back then on the web,, appears they still dip the Golf...

No idea how to post a Video, so here is a 2011 Golf picture

attachicon.gifGolf being dipped.jpg

I think what your picture shows is the protective coating being applied, and this is still done that way.

Below link shows how a modern car is painted at the factory.

http://www.kunibmwblog.com/2010/01/bmw-manufacturing-paint-process/

• 4 years later...
On 3/28/2014 at 10:13 PM, thailandbeachisland said:

15000 is what car re-sellers (tent) pay to respray a car to sell it more expensive.

Vinyl wrap is a lot more expensive than this and I read somewhere that it can damage the painting when you want to take off the wrap ?

Also wondering what happens when you remove wrap...