New Modem - some advice needed

gerryBScot

I'm a bit of dinosaur and can't connect my D-Link 2750u ASDL 2+ router to an electronic storage device. From trying to do this I have learned that it is also theoretically possible to connect my printer to the router, a HP LaserjetP1102.

I'm thinking maybe I need a better modem and following another thread looks like the Asus N55U might just be the ticket. Basically I want to run storage,a printer and smartphones and a tablet over the wi-fi. Now I am pretty non-technical so if I splash out on a new modem will this be easy to st up and get everything working?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Yes very easy. There is a setup wizard so it will guide you through the whole process. ASUS are usually a safe bet too.

You need to know your PPPoE login and password. If you don't have that on hand you can get it from your Dlink before you disconnect it.

Otherwise it may ask you for the VPI/VCI which varies according to your ISP e.g. TRUE=0/100, TOT=0/32 etc. Some ADSL modems can detect that from the line so won't ask.

• Like 1

Be aware using I used an Asus N-12U and was not happy with printer scan (really poor quality) and returned to direct connection to my computer and allowing others to use through there. It may have been me, my computer/printer, or just bad luck but using the Asus software designed for adding printer to modem did not work well for me; although it did get it up and running.

• Like 1

Sorry - what is an electronic storage device? Also, I'm a bit confused about the HP P1102. It's just a printer. It doesn't scan.

Is there some reason that you must use wireless for your peripherals? Are you having trouble connecting to your wireless network with your smart phones and tablets? If not, just connect your printer by LAN cable. If you have a NAS, you can connect it by cable too. Depending on how many cable ports you have on your router, you may need to buy a hub. Just connect the hub to your router with a cable running to any port and connect all your peripherals by cable to any port on the hub.

OP is talking about ADSL modem - not cable (DOCSIS). And believe he wants to attach printer directly to modem by USB to allow access from other uses of the modem (which can be done with some modems and does not require wireless printer.

Yes I am aware my printer is not wireless and as Lopburi says am planning to plug it into my router. My principal connection is by notebook; as I switch between home and work I like the idea of being able to print wirelessly. But I am starting to understand that this is a huge area and thanks to DogNo1 have learned about NAS or network storage and didn't actually appreciate there were so many possibilities, beyond a simple storage device. I like the idea of being able to watch movies on my TV directly via a network connection. As I said I am a dinosaur but hopefully still teachable! Many thanks for your assistance and advice, keep it coming.