Are we covered by Medicare when we visit Australia?

skraach

I'm Australian and live in Thailand. My wife is Thai and our kids were born here and have Australian passports already. I'm planning our first holiday as a family to Australia and am wondering whether we all will be covered by Medicare.

My parents in Australia have told me that I am still listed on their Medicare card, so I guess I am still in the system even though I haven't paid taxes in Australia for 10 years. I am having this confirmed though. If I am still in Medicare, does that mean my kids will automatically be covered? What about my wife? Otherwise I will buy travel insurance.

Q : Does my access to Medicare expire when I move overseas, and if so how long do I need to be away.

A: : The HIC provides that “You will need to provide documents to support your residency in Australia or your severing of ties with the previous country of residence if you are an Australian citizen returning to Australia to reside after living overseas for more than five years”. Thus, as long as your absence does not exceed five years, you should expect continued coverage by Medicare. If you have any doubts about your circumstances, as regards Medicare, you should contact Medicare directly.

http://www.exfin.com/medicare-overseas-expats

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Simple answer is that technically you and your family probably won't be. In your case, would they notice? Probably not given you are already on the Medicare card.

Your kids probably won't be, but if you turn up to a Medicare office like I have on a trip home and bring their passports and their citizenship via descent certificates it shouldn't be problem to get on.

Unless your wife is also an Australian citizen, she'll need a proof she is moving permanently to OZ as well as some sort of permanent visa.

All in all, best to get travel insurance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...