The Lowdown On Cashiers Checks & Bankers Drafts

Have now spoken to a Senior Manager at Krung Thai bank.

As mentioned already and confirmed, BANKERS' DRAFTS DO NOT EXIST in Thailand.

However outside Bangkok 'DEMAND DRAFTS ' are used

Both are identical other than colour. Both have the same lack of total security in that both can be 'stopped' in cases of fraud .

The person/company cashing a demand draft pays a fee ; but no fee if a cashiers cheque !

The good news : a cashiers cheque costs 20 baht.

A demand draft is priced according to value. For a settlement visa the fee for which is

Baht 18200 ...........the fee is only baht 15.

[new topic as previous one contained postings of a nasty unpleasant personal nature.]

Both are identical other than colour.

How can they be identical if one of them doesn't exist?

Both are identical other than colour.

How can they be identical if one of them doesn't exist?

The format for the CASHIER CHECK is identical to that of the DEMAND DRAFT

Only the colour is different . Also on one is written cashier check and on the other demand draft

[Yes ...in Thailand they do not have bankers drafts]

I don't think we have them stateside either, or at least have never had a use for them myself. We have typically used cashier's checks for capital purchases.

They also don't have Dr. Pepper here.

:o

[new topic as previous one contained postings of a nasty unpleasant personal nature.]
Yes, you did make some very unpleasant, racist posts. Why?

You claim to be an expert on international banking, with highly placed contacts, senior managers etc. You hint at running a large company with employees you can send hither and yon on little errands. Yet when asked what it is you actually do, you ignore the question.

Crawl back under your bridge.

I thought we got this straight that a bankers draft/demand draft is what Thais call a postal order or in Thai "tua lek ngern"

And a cashiers cheque is a cashiers cheque.

Everyones problem sorted.

Toppy you could have just posted in the thread I started and maybe chilled on the not needed remarks.

Anyway thats me over and out for both these topics as far as I'm concerned the problem has been sorted.

Ash

I thought we got this straight that a bankers draft/demand draft is what Thais call a postal order or in Thai "tua lek ngern"

And a cashiers cheque is a cashiers cheque.

Everyones problem sorted.

Toppy you could have just posted in the thread I started and maybe chilled on the not needed remarks.

Anyway thats me over and out for both these topics as far as I'm concerned the problem has been sorted.

Ash

Pleased to have been of assistance.

All that's needed now is for the outsourcing centre to correct their reference to requiring a non existant " bankers 'draft to requiring a "demand draft ".

You can be sure that once people start to pay their visa fees with these demand drafts they will change back to requiring the far more common cashiers checks as they have to pay to their own bank a fee on each and every demand draft ...yet no fee on cashiers checks ! Keep watching !

:D

Au contraire, mon ami. Rimping Supermarket in Chiang Mai indeed sells Dr. Pepper in the can. :D

Yeah, but it's not fresh. :o They have it at Villa Market as well, didn't notice the current price, but I recall it being around 90 Baht a can in the past, shelf crud on the house.

Au contraire, mon ami. Rimping Supermarket in Chiang Mai indeed sells Dr. Pepper in the can. :D

Yeah, but it's not fresh. :D They have it at Villa Market as well, didn't notice the current price, but I recall it being around 90 Baht a can in the past, shelf crud on the house.

:o:D:D Monochaser monitors the sell by date on every imported beverage

Fantasy, pure fantasy.

Posted by topfield here

OK friends YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS. COMPLETE INSANITY...........You have to send them a "tua lek ngern" translation : postal order,

and it must be WAIT FOR IT......from a bank !!

Jesus...one does not have to be an Einstein to know that banks don't issue postal orders, that is issued by the CAT or Post office HAVE THEY GONE MAD OR LOST THEIR SENSES ?

Complete and utter rubbish, the complete opposite of the actual facts as reported by agsnowdon above.

So, Mr (non)Expert, how have you assisted anyone?

Yeah, but it's not fresh. :o They have it at Villa Market as well, didn't notice the current price, but I recall it being around 90 Baht a can in the past, shelf crud on the house.

I'll have to try one from Rimping sometime and let you know if it passes muster. Seems to me they get about 55 baht for a can which is pretty reasonable considering the distance it has to travel and that a single can really wouldn't be any cheaper in a mini-mart Stateside.

Fantasy, pure fantasy.

Posted by topfield here

OK friends YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS. COMPLETE INSANITY...........You have to send them a "tua lek ngern" translation : postal order,

and it must be WAIT FOR IT......from a bank !!

Jesus...one does not have to be an Einstein to know that banks don't issue postal orders, that is issued by the CAT or Post office HAVE THEY GONE MAD OR LOST THEIR SENSES ?

Complete and utter rubbish, the complete opposite of the actual facts as reported by agsnowdon above.

So, Mr (non)Expert, how have you assisted anyone?

Dear friends , just to confirm : Should you require a postal order or TUA LEK NGERN you should go to any large post office.They are issued by the CAT or Post office and used to cost one baht each but the price rose last year. Thais do not use them much to send money..they send money by 'TANNANAT'

Postal orders are issued in many differerent denominations exactly like British postal orders with a tear off counterfoil. Should they get lost in the post you can apply for a refund.

Please note my postings concerned the payment for visa fees by DEMAND DRAFT as the outsourcing centre normally requires this instrument (which the website incorrectly calls a BANKERS draft ) and which is issued by banks for use upcountry owing to the fees charged when it is used. ( see above posting with info directly obtained from the Krung Thai Bank)

Thank you.

Edited by topfield