Is it worth now to withdraw money from currency exchange booths with cards?

Will2011

Hello Thai Visa Forum members,

Since all ATMs (including Aeon) charge a withdrawal fee when using foreign cards in Thailand, I was wondering if "buying" THB at currency exchange booths with debit/credit cards is doable and worth it.

My card has no foreign transaction fee. Would have it been even better in terms of exchange rate to buy THB with card than withdraw cash from Aeon's ATMs (when there wasn't any fee)?

I read some articles about it, but I'd be glad to hearing from ThaiVisa members' experience.

Thanks in advance.

When I've tried that in the past at the airport & exchange booths in Bangkok, they have said no unless I take the first 20000 baht from the ATM, as my card is limited to roughly 15000 baht a day from ATM's, kinda defeated the purpose. I dunno if that's policy or them been difficult?

Thanks for your inputs.

In a previous topic, I mentioned that I have a HSBC Premier U.S. status along with a HSBC Premier Debit Card (Mastercard). The daily withdraw is still $1,000 per day. However, HSBC recently limited the amount of cash that can be withdrawn at $500 per withdraw outside the U.S.. In other words, if I want to get $1,000, I gotta process two ATM transactions. Now, if I want to get more cash, how much I gotta pay for ATM fees in Thailand? Why should I pay more if there's a way to pay less to use my own money?

If anybody experienced withdrawals at the counter, please feel free to share your story.