Commuters warned of accidents as Songkran exodus begins

webfact

Commuters Warned Of Accidents As Songkran Exodus Begins
By Khaosod English

13971190031397119279l.jpg
Public workers in Nakhon Ratchasima province erect a sign suggesting a shortcut for motorists on Mittaparp Road to help them avoid busy choke points during Songkran holidays, 10 April 2014

BANGKOK: -- Officials have warned motorists to take extra caution on the roads as the Thai traditional New Year festival kicks off tomorrow.

Millions are thought to be traveling on the roads throughout the long holiday period of Songkran, which spans from 12 April to 15 April this year, such as families leaving the cities for vacation in outlying provinces, and urban immigrants returning to their rural hometowns.

The annual exodus from Bangkok metropolis is so large that many parts of the usually-busy capital city will appear deserted to observers. Even the anti-government protest movements have agreed to enact a sort of truce during Songkran holidays, indicating that no major demonstration or rally will take place until the vacation is over.

A high number of road accidents and fatalities also accompany Songkran each year, partly due to exhausted or drunk drivers during the holiday season.

For this year, the government has urged each provincial authorities to curb the problems by, among other procedures, setting up checkpoints to deter drunk-driving, placing traffic police officers to important chokepoints along the highways, and launching campaign to inform motorists of risks associated with commuting in Songkran holiday.

The government has previously inititated a PR campaign called "Zero Death Songkran" to set up an ambitious - some would say virtually impossible - goal of achieving no road fatality throughout Songkran holiday season this year.

In Pitsanulok province, where highways connecting the northern region of Thailand with Bangkok meet, Mr. Wattana Kannapat, the provincial governor, opened a ceremony to raise awareness to motorists along the local roads today at a bus terminal in Mueang district.

Mr. Wattana said the authorities will double their vigilance to maintain road safety from 11-17 April, under a campaign called "Build Culture of Safety, Reduce Accidents Across Thailand For Songkran".

The governor added that he hoped the campaign would help Pitsanulok lessen the number of injuries and deaths resulting from road accidents this year; the previous year's record for Pitsanulok stood at 64 injuries and 7 fatalities.

Speaking at the bus terminal today, Mr. Wattana also assured the public that police officers will daily inspect breaths and urine samples of all public transport staff in the province to look for any trace of alcohol or narcotics consumption.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1397119003

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-10

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

well they can start with those guys

what's wrong with putting some cones around their car , wearing clear visible clothing

safety boots instead of rubber .

You don't mean international road signs and vis safety gear, heaven forbid.

what's wrong with putting some cones around their car , wearing clear visible clothing

How that will affect Songkran driving incidents escapes me but bright orange shirts seem to be fairly visible as does the huge flashing LED warning on the lorry. Safety boots instead of rubber? Why stop your suggestions at that? Why not hard hats, safety goggles, protective gloves and so on?

• Like 2

How that will affect Songkran driving incidents escapes me but bright orange shirts seem to be fairly visible as does the huge flashing LED warning on the lorry. Safety boots instead of rubber? Why stop your suggestions at that? Why not hard hats, safety goggles, protective gloves and so on?

so you have nothing to write

Come on

Send with Commodore 64 using Thaivisa Connect Mobile App

Because none of those "safety" features will be of any use when Kuhn Somchai decides to underpass (pass on the extreme left) both lanes of traffic in his exuberance to get to the next place he can buy a few tinnies of Singha.

Because none of those "safety" features will be of any use when Kuhn Somchai decides to underpass (pass on the extreme left) both lanes of traffic in his exuberance to get to the next place he can buy a few tinnies of Singha.

Yep your right, just got back from a motoring tour of Ratchaburi,livin in bkk I normally use public transport but hired a car for this trip,I normally enjoy driving but I was constantly just expecting the unexpected and it made driving more of a chore than a enjoyable experience, No trust in your fellow road user was my issue I just kept expecting the unexpected because no one follows the rules of the road,,,, roundabout ohh dear they have no idea,,overtaking no idea was a great roadtrip apart from the ignorance of my fellow travelers, was very sad to see and witness and now I know why Thailand has such a horrific death toll on the roads.

• Like 1

Yep your right, just got back from a motoring tour of Ratchaburi,livin in bkk I normally use public transport but hired a car for this trip,I normally enjoy driving but I was constantly just expecting the unexpected and it made driving more of a chore than a enjoyable experience, No trust in your fellow road user was my issue I just kept expecting the unexpected because no one follows the rules of the road,,,, roundabout ohh dear they have no idea,,overtaking no idea was a great roadtrip apart from the ignorance of my fellow travelers, was very sad to see and witness and now I know why Thailand has such a horrific death toll on the roads.

at least you live to tell the tale..happy holiday sir..be safe..wai2.gif

I say that is the whole year round my drivingstyle , expect the fellow roadusers to do strange illogical and stupid dangerous stuff , eyes wide open , be carefull out there !!!!!

Send with Commodore 64 using Thaivisa Connect Mobile App

Joint effort launched to make 'Seven Dangerous Days' of Songkran holiday safer
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Thammaraj Kijchalong
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- With the festive Songkran mood in the air, organisations from various sectors have come together to make the upcoming holiday "safe and happy" for everyone.

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday expressed hope that the next seven days would be "days of happiness", not dangerous days.

"We will work with the private sector, foundations and communities to achieve the goal," she said.

While millions of Thais celebrate the Songkran Festival with much joy, the festivities usually see a huge number of accidents with heavy casualties.

According to official statistics, road accidents kill about 33 people in Thailand each day on average. The number jumps to 40-50 during long holidays like New Year and Songkran.

In a bid to promote road safety, the Songkran period has been designated the "Seven Dangerous Days" to remind revellers that they need to reduce risk factors while on the roads.

This year, the "Seven Dangerous Days" associated with the Songkran Festival run from today to April 17.

Yingluck yesterday presided over a meeting to plan road-accident prevention measures for the Songkran holiday break.

She said the efforts addressed the issues of where to splash water, how to drive safely, and when to refrain from alcohol consumption.

Yingluck said relevant authorities should also provide useful telephone numbers to people so they know where to turn when in need of help.

As it did last year, the US Embassy has produced a video clip celebrating the Songkran festival. The clip, lasting 1:34 minutes, shows embassy staff dancing along and lip-synching to a Thai song posted on YouTube.

The Public Health Ministry has vowed to put more than 160,000 medical workers on standby at state hospitals across the country to ensure road-accident victims get prompt attention.

"Call 1669 in the event of a medical emergency," said ministry permanent secretary Narong Sahametapat.

Nakorn Silpa-archa, who heads the Labour Ministry's Department of Skill Development, said his agency and volunteers would operate vehicle check-and-maintenance service booths across the country between today and April 17.

"Motorists can drop in to get the services plus massages and beverages," he said.

- For more information on where the booths are located, call (02) 245 3560.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-11

Please don't....you're reminding me of cottonwool Europe....Aagh!

Same comments every year and an assumption that it is road accidents.

Let me clarify, young men with motorcycles, tanked up with alcohol, hold road races with water thrown at them. This is a right of passage to attract the white T shirt girls ( no Bra) and many die.

Thanks to this annual ritual there are more young girls than young men.

Welcome to Pattaya!

Absolutely agree. Come on Thailand let's get safety first. post-9891-0-66025200-1397207233_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Absolutely agree. Come on Thailand let's get safety first. attachicon.gifdanger men at work..jpg

6 supervising (not even 1 holding the ladder) and 1 doing the job. Hardly makes Thailand look bad.

Drove up to Kalasin today. Everyone well behaved until after Khorat then the Thais opened up and went for it, ignoring and ignored by, numerous police at their 'service points'.

I believe these diversion signs are known as Tea Money Trees in the trade. smile.png

Mind how you go..

And so are doubling checkpoints. Thanks for the extra 200 baht per car ;)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Absolutely agree. Come on Thailand let's get safety first. attachicon.gifdanger men at work..jpg

6 supervising (not even 1 holding the ladder) and 1 doing the job. Hardly makes Thailand look bad.

Drove up to Kalasin today. Everyone well behaved until after Khorat then the Thais opened up and went for it, ignoring and ignored by, numerous police at their 'service points'.

Well who wants to pay the extra 200 baht per car for the police being out..

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After working 34 years on the Highways and watching 8 of my co-workers killed, I must say that in Thailand even 2,000 lbs. of steel is not safety gear. Does it really matter if they see you before they run you over? Cones and barricades will not sober anyone up or wake anyone up or invoke common sense.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

its about creating a culture of safety awareness where people are educated and given the means to work and live with an appreciation of potentially dangerous/risky activities and situations and react/take precautions as necessary