getting to Chang Puak Bus Station

Asiantravel

If I arrive at the main bus station in Chiang Mai, which I think is called Arcade bus station can I get a maroon coloured van /bus to take me to Chang Puak Bus Station , which is also referred to as bus station number 1?

Or is it a yellow coloured van I need to take?

Thanks very much

Red/Maroon one, 30-100B (per person) depending on how much of a mug you look. State your destination, "Chang Puak Bus Station" in your strongest Thai accent will do it.

May be able to do it for 20B, though I've never got one below 30B out of the bus station.

Edited by naboo
  • Like 1

Red/Maroon one, 30-100B (per person) depending on how much of a mug you look. State your destination, "Chang Puak Bus Station" in your strongest Thai accent will do it.

May be able to do it for 20B, though I've never got one below 30B out of the bus station.

laugh.png

ha ha ! Thanks a lot

“ how much of a mug you look “ yes indeed..........isn't that the case everywhere hererolleyes.gif

i think the tuk tuk drivers have their vehicle specifically to identify such people

60 in a red would be fair. You can usually cut the fare in half by walking about a 100 meters onto the main rd., towards Mccormick Hospital. The vultures are right in front of the bus station. Ignore the touts and ask a tuk-tuk, who has just dropped somebody off, he'll be anxious to get back to his regular area and will give you a good deal....a win, win situation.

While the criminal element looking for a big fare tends to be camped out all day there. FIrmly offer a tuk-tuk 80, and start walking away.

60 in a red would be fair. You can usually cut the fare in half by walking about a 100 meters onto the main rd., towards Mccormick Hospital. The vultures are right in front of the bus station. Ignore the touts and ask a tuk-tuk, who has just dropped somebody off, he'll be anxious to get back to his regular area and will give you a good deal....a win, win situation.

While the criminal element looking for a big fare tends to be camped out all day there. FIrmly offer a tuk-tuk 80, and start walking away.

Okay, maybe I will do as you suggest about walking to the road.

Last year I paid 50 in a red to go from Arcade to Huay Kaew Road

" Ignore the touts " i always do

if you were able to do that from within the bus area, that is a pretty good deal. Getting to Thapae Gate for 20 is pretty easy, and another 20 from there would do it. If I had a heavy bag, I would look for the tuk-tuk....one of the very few times that I use them.

if you were able to do that from within the bus area, that is a pretty good deal. Getting to Thapae Gate for 20 is pretty easy, and another 20 from there would do it. If I had a heavy bag, I would look for the tuk-tuk....one of the very few times that I use them.

Fortunately, I won't have a heavy bag.

Regarding tuk tuk’s I just regard them as a waste of time, even talking to them because I know the type of customers they are looking for and that doesn't include me.

It's the same in Bangkok. I mean, I've never understood paying a higher fare in a Bangkok tuk tuk than you do for air-conditioned comfort in a taxi meter for the same journey.blink.png

Edited by Asiantravel

but, if they just made 150 to bring someone to the bus station, they might be willing to take a lot less to avoid going back empty, or waiting with the criminals. On real bad traffic days...like school dismissal time, I will just walk to where I used to stay by the US Consulate, which is less than a ten minute walk to the moat.

Fortunately, I won't have a heavy bag.

Regarding tuk tuk’s I just regard them as a waste of time, even talking to them because I know the type of customers they are looking for and that doesn't include me.

It's the same in Bangkok. I mean, I've never understood paying a higher fare in a Bangkok tuk tuk than you do for air-conditioned comfort in a taxi meter for the same journey.blink.png

Not always easy to get a taxi in CM. Also I find the tuk tuk way better to deal with than BKK as a rule. You may find someone else going the same way and then a shared Tuk Tuk could be a good deal.