Abhisit ready for talks with PM, Thaksin if broadcast live

Lite Beer

Abhisit ready for talks with PM, Thaksin if broadcast live
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is ready to hold talks with both Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra next week in a bid to end the prolonged political deadlock, as long as the meetings are broadcast live on television, party spokesperson Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said yesterday.

Chavanond stressed that Abhisit is not doing this in order to seek any political gains but for the good of the country. He said Abhisit would meet Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces General Thansak Patimaprakorn tomorrow to discuss security issues related to the crisis and with the Election Commission (EC) on Tuesday.

He said the reason Abhisit is seeking a live broadcast of the meetings is so that there would be no distortions about what transpired during the meeting. The broadcast of a Skype meeting with Thaksin would be acceptable to Abhisit, he said.

Chavanond denied that a remark on Friday by Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), telling mediators not to poke their nose in the matter, was meant as a snub to Abhisit as interpreted by some. He clarified that Abhisit was not a mediator, but was only seeking an end to the crisis.

Abhisit tweeted from his Twitter account @Abhisit_DP yesterday, thanking both supporters and sarcastic detractors regarding his latest bid to help end the current political stalemate.

Abhisit reiterated that he was not a mediator and not above the conflict but wanted to help find a way out for Thailand, adding he prefers peace over bloodshed and military coup.

"I may not succeed, but I will definitely not cause damage to the country and the people who love this country," tweeted Abhisit.

Yingluck, meanwhile, spent the weekend with her family. She said she had not yet received any formal contact from Abhisit regarding a possible meeting. The premier also said it was not certain if she would meet the EC in person on Wednesday to discuss the new election date.

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama cautiously welcomed Abhisit's move, adding he hoped it was a sincere move by Abhisit and that he meant what he said. He said Thaksin was ready for such a talk and that he was currently in New York meeting economic experts to find ways to help Thailand deal with the adverse economic impact as a result of the prolonged protest.

Pheu Thai deputy spokesperson Anusorn Iamsaaed, meanwhile, said Abhisit should not pressure himself by giving himself only a 10-day deadline to accomplish the task, adding it would be more difficult for Abhisit to deal with PDRC leaders like Suthep.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-27

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really believe what he says,

He said he'd turn up at the EC but that never happened.

Anyway wait until he gets the phone call from the sovereign peoples medium.

Sutep and his yellow shirt mates down at the park aren't going to like abhisits antics one bit.

Trying to find a way through this mess and ignoring his masters voice.

Anyway the good thing is that he has done it twice in one week and is slowly putting distance between him mr negative!

He, she, they, did/said this, that, something, or whatever, lets look at the future not the past, thats where hope and change can take place. This is a step to taking the news media out of the picture, as well as the numerous spokesmen, both of whom are not the most reliable nor truthful.

Broadcast talks between these 3 is at least a positive proposal vs all the negatives of past actions, statements and/or lack thereof.

Well at least its possibly moving in a direction that will solve this country's problems.

The Thai Army will soon clear the PDRC rabble out of Bangkok when Prayuth finally gives the order. They are not happy when civilians start beating up and shooting their Colonels.

Abhisit is a useless politician that has zero respect from his peers and the people, he should have been a journalist.

At least he's making a positive step, unlike your empty negative rhetoric.

But full marks to you for consistency.

positive step? LOL. Abhisit isn't after solutions, its an obvious point scoring attempt, in public. genuine solutions are negotiated behind the scenes where there is breathing space for both parties

Edited by moonao

Abhisit is a useless politician that has zero respect from his peers and the people, he should have been a journalist.

Always negatives from you & others. What harm can come of live televised talks between Abhisit & Yingluck. Think positive as at least they will be talking which has to be a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

Lost in the discussion, is a rather remarkable conciliatory and sympathetic statement from the PTP;

Pheu Thai deputy spokesperson Anusorn Iamsaaed, meanwhile, said Abhisit should not pressure himself by giving himself only a 10-day deadline to accomplish the task, adding it would be more difficult for Abhisit to deal with PDRC leaders like Suthep

I actually believe that some in the PTP want the discussion.

• Like 1

Lost in the discussion, is a rather remarkable conciliatory and sympathetic statement from the PTP;

Pheu Thai deputy spokesperson Anusorn Iamsaaed, meanwhile, said Abhisit should not pressure himself by giving himself only a 10-day deadline to accomplish the task, adding it would be more difficult for Abhisit to deal with PDRC leaders like Suthep

I actually believe that some in the PTP want the discussion.

And you will see again as PTP members realize Thaksin's grip is slipping.

"I may not succeed but I will definitely not cause damage to the country and the people who love this country," tweeted Abhisit.

I suppose that's as good a campaign slogan as any here in Thailand. Covers the bases. Up front face saver for future failure. "'m harmless". And of course, a hint of the buddhist soft touch about people and love.

Nice job, Abe. You can go back to sleep now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The important thing is that Abhisit is embracing dialog in which the people can observe and consider. As it would be great for the country, expect Yingluck and Thaksin to run from the offer as quickly as possible.

It is also important that the people can see for themselves the type of people that represent them, Thaskin will decline the invitation.

• Like 1

If the article is true, I am flabbergasted.

Why Adhisit, would speak with a common criminal on the run?

Has he lost it?w00t.gif

Because any step is welcome toward a solution of this mess in which Thailand is now. I reckon Abhisit is the only one (of course for his interest as well) to make some sensitive proposal...

• Like 1

If the article is true, I am flabbergasted.

Why Adhisit, would speak with a common criminal on the run?

Has he lost it?w00t.gif

Because he is quite aware of the lack of answers they would give. (example--" what's your name" "pass" )

Chavanond stressed that Abhisit is not doing this in order to seek any political gains but for the good of the country.

This is the first lie here.

He said the reason Abhisit is seeking a live broadcast of the meetings is so that there would be no distortions about what transpired during the meeting

Second lie. Why isn't is other meeting broadcast. Plus why does he need someone to speak on his behalf.

Chavanond denied that a remark on Friday by Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), telling mediators not to poke their nose in the matter, was meant as a snub to Abhisit as interpreted by some. He clarified that Abhisit was not a mediator, but was only seeking an end to the crisis.

Third lie. He was referring to Abhisit. No doubt about it.

"I may not succeed, but I will definitely not cause damage to the country and the people who love this country," tweeted Abhisit.

4th lie. He has already caused damage to the country by boycotting the 2 Feb elections.

5th lie...your whole post!

OK, so show where he is allegedly lying.

The sentence "5th lie ...your whole post" is not that convincing in the rebuttal stakes, I'm afraid.

Typical of what passes for "debate" on this forum by certain posters. One sentence soundbites designed to appeal to hard of thinking.