Honda 2014 CR-V Electronics Help Needed

SLESQ

Moderator: I can't find a more applicable spot but feel this forum may not reach the people I need for assistance.

Yesterday we took delivery of a 2014 Honda CR-V. The only forum I've found is a Thai Language only Owners Forum, and nothing on point in TVF. I hope this will reach other CR-V owners.

An English language manual is supposed to arrive in "about 5 weeks." However, my Thai son has scoured the Thai language manual for 2014 and tells me it is already outdated.

The system seems great but we find that Honda uses many different brands and models thus I attach thumbnails to try to illustrate what we have.

1. GPS - we would like to change the order of the logos to put on the first screen what we normally use the most. This must be possible but... how?

• The only brand logo seen is "1VNA" See Thumbnail below.
  • By way of example, we mostly use Favorites to plan a trip; a shopping trip means making multiple stops and thus many changes.
  • For now, Screen #1 does not show the Favorites that is found at the top of Screen #2.
  • To switch to Screen #2 requires a left-handed action is not easy and is quite distracting for we right-handed folks.
  • How can we move Favorites up to Screen # 1 and remove Honda clap2.gif or as that may be prohibited, then Points of Interest of Office?

2. Bluetooth telephone - it automatically downloads "all" our telephone numbers but only to a limit of 200. Our iPhones store many more than 200 contacts. Blue tooth takes us less then mid-way, stopping at the "Ms." We would like to be more selective. How can we delete some contacts stored on the Bluetooth connection and substitute others?

• It has been suggested that we reduce the number of iPhone contacts but that is wholly unacceptable.
  • My son suggest just using the iPhone to make calls and using the system's speaker to talk hands-free, but
    • that requires eyes-off-the-road and invites a police stop when we are observed looking at the iPhone to place a call and
    • that does not help us to receive and reply/send messages as this system is supposed to do.

3. All the literature from Honda touts their voice-interface with their electronics package, yet the car does not seem to have a "talk button" shown in the literature. Is there a "voice" command and talk button hidden on the complex dash that we've not yet found?

Oh, for the small (and large) minded idiots and trolls on TVF, please play your silly games elsewhere as this is intended for those who have actual knowledge and experience. Thank you.

post-147580-0-59279100-1398646760_thumb.

post-147580-0-45214800-1398646762_thumb.

post-147580-0-15481500-1398646764_thumb.

Even with te Book { Civic but same set up } its Awkward. I went back to Honda and it took 30+ Mins from a great instructor to connect my I phone,load numbers, show me the GPS....Well worth the time,i can make it sing now. Do It you'll feel much better.thumbsup.gif

Ace, thanks. Which dealer did you go to, or was it Honda Thailand in Bangkok? The local Chiang Mai dealer where I bought the CRV seems clueless as well as careless, but there are other service stations to try.

English language handbooks can be downloaded at the link below. I do not know if they are applicable to Thai models or your issue. You can always google for an English language handbook. Usually there will be people who make them available on car specific forums

Hope you are successful. I quite fancy the CRV myself but have no plans to make phone calls on the move. Still use an ancient hp not Bluetooth

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2013/CR-V/manuals

Ace, thanks. Which dealer did you go to, or was it Honda Thailand in Bangkok? The local Chiang Mai dealer where I bought the CRV seems clueless as well as careless, but there are other service stations to try.

Honda Hua Hin,but any BIG Honda will help you, no matter where you bought it..You will find that some Honda Showrooms are branches of the Big Area one, thats where they put the Clueless.!!!. Sometimes its hard to tell which one is Boss Branch. Look in the back of you Service Record Book, that shows you.thumbsup.gif

Ace and Scott, thanks again. I've attached the 2014 guides downloaded from Honda in English but sadly it covers different hardware and I suspect software too. However, I have sent a letter to Honda Thailand and will go visit the largest Honda Dealer in CM tomorrow. I hope someone there will share the time to help us learn. Oh, my 26 year old star programmer too is stumped and does not have the time to play with the system to find a work around.

I have started to keep a notebook left in the car to note discrepancies and troubles; admittedly not the huge kind but the simply stupidly annoying kind that a bit of consumer research would have shown up. Take for example the horn that does not sound but a tweet when remotely opening the locks. My Toyota sounds off like a ship's horn and the lights flash brightly, useful at finding it at the new malls with acres of cars all the same height and nearly the same color (white or gray, or light tones that can't be differentiated).

I hope these manuals help others.

Sorry the size is far less then the limit but the larger two (Owner's Manual and Detailed Tech Manual) won't load. Contact me if anyone wants a copy if you can't find the link on you own.

2014 CR-V EX_L with NAV_ QUICK Technology Guide 2014.pdf

• 1 month later...

Since we have all the honda experts gathered on this thread, I also have a CR-V 2014 (GPS/sterio same as OP).

there is an USB and AUX next to the big screen.. but it is very ugly to have the cables haning down there... on other pictures I have seen the USB and AUX is in the mid-console.. I wonder if it is possible to connect an extra USB and/or aux at the mid-console?

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have the same model did you ever manage to get an English manual for the Navigation!!

I would love to get my hands on a copy.

Does anybody know what the Garmin O/S is and can you use the Garmin windows program to enter data!!

Regarding the ugly cables hanging out of the front of the unit I modified mine and now there is a 8Gb micro usb thumb drive fitted permanently see the image enclosed.

Cheers

Winai

post-240587-0-30599600-1434809719_thumb.

post-240587-0-35112800-1434809817_thumb.

Edited by Winai

Ace and Scott, thanks again. I've attached the 2014 guides downloaded from Honda in English but sadly it covers different hardware and I suspect software too. However, I have sent a letter to Honda Thailand and will go visit the largest Honda Dealer in CM tomorrow. I hope someone there will share the time to help us learn. Oh, my 26 year old star programmer too is stumped and does not have the time to play with the system to find a work around.

I have started to keep a notebook left in the car to note discrepancies and troubles; admittedly not the huge kind but the simply stupidly annoying kind that a bit of consumer research would have shown up. Take for example the horn that does not sound but a tweet when remotely opening the locks. My Toyota sounds off like a ship's horn and the lights flash brightly, useful at finding it at the new malls with acres of cars all the same height and nearly the same color (white or gray, or light tones that can't be differentiated).

I hope these manuals help others.

Sorry the size is far less then the limit but the larger two (Owner's Manual and Detailed Tech Manual) won't load. Contact me if anyone wants a copy if you can't find the link on you own.

Forget the remote, put a tennis ball on your antenna. Personally I can't stand a loud horn when locking or unlocking, I don't want to hear that at the inconvenient hours I so often do and I also don't like announcing to all of my neighbors that I'm home or leaving as I'm also sure they don't want to hear my horn either. Anyway good luck with programming your GPS, some technology is really the bane of society today, not ALL tech is good, many driver aids on the surface seem good but they are more like drivers crutches and drivers rely to heavily on them and when they fail or drivers get complacent about them and end up ignoring them (and they do all the time) then really bad things happen. Texting or talking on the phone while driving without a blue tooth is one very important example. BTW my suggestion is regardless of the GPS, map out your route on google maps before you hit the road whenever possible so that way you have an idea if your GPS is leading you astray during your journey as they often do.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I gave up with Onboard GPS driving different cars.My American friend taught me how to make a Garmin dance,now i use a Apple iphone 6+ here with Google Maps updated by Tom Tom, Nice n loud,good English.Just sit comfy n program it over a Coke, not all hunched up tryin to program a sun glared screen. I have run it with various O.E. GPS setups on runs and its much the same , but must admit never used it in Central BKK. always park up at Laski Plaza.coffee1.gif

Hi

I have the same model did you ever manage to get an English manual for the Navigation!!

I would love to get my hands on a copy.

Does anybody know what the Garmin O/S is and can you use the Garmin windows program to enter data!!

Regarding the ugly cables hanging out of the front of the unit I modified mine and now there is a 8Gb micro usb thumb drive fitted permanently see the image enclosed.

Cheers

Winai

Ive found that the English Handbook arrived by post to my house before the Dealer got the Car.But i an a bit Grumpy with Dealers......gigglem.gif