Thai tourist rule offends visitors from Vietnam

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's other example. I'm aware of about 5 students from well regarded Vietnamese universities being denied visas to take up exchange programs, one semester, at Thai universities (already approved for acceptance by the Thai unis.)

These are MBA students, all in good employment in Vietnam, all speak advanced English, all with good progress results so far in their studies, all with full sponsorships from their employers.

And with a refusal to give any details of why they were not approved.

They might have been denied visas b/c:

"These are MBA students, all in good employment in Vietnam, all speak advanced English, all with good progress results so far in their studies, all with full sponsorships from their employers." They might show or outshine some people/students/systems in Thailand. When one wants to think/boast of being "the best at everything" who would want that tarnished.

i was talking to some old friends from the Uk recently,they have been to Thailand a few times,but would not come back again, because,it was dirty,overpriced,to much lies and scams and they can have a better value holiday closer to home in Greece or Spain,when i mentioned the girls they laughed,most of the bars had gone downhill,many girls were now fat,or unattractive,and wanted exhorbitant amounts,and that the gf experience was finished.now it was mostly short time only, as a tourist destination it may be popular with Russians and chinese still,but they generally spend less money than a visitor from the us,Europe,australia,as they buy food at 7/11 and beer there[well with the russians anyway],so whatever Tat does they will be unable to halt this decline,Thailand has through greed killed the goose that laid the golden egg

The keyword GREED sums it all up.wai2.gif

Indeed, I can think of so many nice places in Thailand with so much natural beauty that became popular, and so Thai people went there to open shops, open theme parks, build condos, then because tourists were there the scammers moved in and within 2 or 3 years the place was ruined.

• Like 2

Of course the Thais are entitled to their own rules, but the methods of enforcement really aren't the ticket at times. Why would the authorities want to unnecessarily piss off other ASEAN citizens like this?

Cause its their last chance to grab the money before the floodgates open. Interesting that Pillipinos aren't under the same rule.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course the Thais are entitled to their own rules, but the methods of enforcement really aren't the ticket at times. Why would the authorities want to unnecessarily piss off other ASEAN citizens like this?

Arrogance and a false sense of superiority?
money blues, they want the money as it is their last grab before the borders to 10 ASEAN countries are opened.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lucky most Vietnamese have fair skin as being dark makes it very difficult especially at Thai border crossings unless you have surplus cash to spare, racism is now disguised in new forms and is poisoning the planet

i was talking to some old friends from the Uk recently,they have been to Thailand a few times,but would not come back again, because,it was dirty,overpriced,to much lies and scams and they can have a better value holiday closer to home in Greece or Spain,when i mentioned the girls they laughed,most of the bars had gone downhill,many girls were now fat,or unattractive,and wanted exhorbitant amounts,and that the gf experience was finished.now it was mostly short time only, as a tourist destination it may be popular with Russians and chinese still,but they generally spend less money than a visitor from the us,Europe,australia,as they buy food at 7/11 and beer there[well with the russians anyway],so whatever Tat does they will be unable to halt this decline,Thailand has through greed killed the goose that laid the golden egg

Indeed, I can think of so many nice places in Thailand with so much natural beauty that became popular, and so Thai people went there to open shops, open theme parks, build condos, then because tourists were there the scammers moved in and within 2 or 3 years the place was ruined.

Unlike say the Mediterranean coasts, Hawaii, Luxor, Mallorca, Nha Trang and quite a few other places. Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with this BS of photographing visitors with cash, but the Thais certainly have no monopoly on trying to make a quick buck, far from it.

Call some place paradise,

Kiss it goodbye.

what a load of rubbish.

US, UK, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Singaporean, Taiwanese, all with tourist numbers that have increased every year to date since 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_20_Most_visiting_nationalities

Yeah, your bar propping, whoring friends will be sorely missed.

• Like 2

Let me guess. most of these places are in the South. Who has benefitted from the ruination?

It's a great idea. Big kudos to Thailand for having the balls to do this to stop immigrants seeking to work illegally. They should make all Europeans show a minimum of 100,000 baht on entry. That would keep out the vile sex tourist riffraff that are tarnishing this country's reputation.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There's other example. I'm aware of about 5 students from well regarded Vietnamese universities being denied visas to take up exchange programs, one semester, at Thai universities (already approved for acceptance by the Thai unis.)

These are MBA students, all in good employment in Vietnam, all speak advanced English, all with good progress results so far in their studies, all with full sponsorships from their employers.

Probably because they would show up their Thai peers,hence loss of face for Thai students= no visa.

Point taken but there are already many foreign exchange students in Thailand, both bachelor and masters programs, some for one semester / on year / whole course, and this has been the case for quite a few years, from: Asian countries, Europe (many) US, Africa, etc., and the truth is that most of these students do outperform the Thais in the class.

In fact it's common when there are course projects, in class case studies that many of the Thai students rush to be in teams with the foreign students and push the foreign exchange students to be the team leader. That's my experience.

They should apply through an honest, upright, non-commercially-motivated institution that puts education first - try Walen.

This is typical Thai hospitality.

You can find other examples such as

Thai Free , Foreigner 150 Baht admission

Thai 100 Baht , Foreigner 300 Baht admission.

etc, etc, etc

This is not typical Thai hospitality at all, it is a legal requirement.

"You can find other examples such as...etc, etc, etc"

Well that was just one example that you gave, what are some of the others that you say exist?

That rule has been around for a few years but not strictly enforced. The photo part is a new one though and can understand the issue.

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

Thaivisa.com

Shows in Thaiairways also plus several other sites.

Correct. I don't see what the problem is about enforcing a requirement that Thailand imposes on visitors from certain countries. Whilst I have every respect for Vietnam (I even worked there before and have visited many times) and I even disagree on some of their policies (such as how they generally don't want foreigners from any country driving their own vehicles inside their country for tourism purposes, something which could benefit their country significantly) I think it's a bit much for them to complain about the requirements for Vietnamese visiting Thailand. It's up to Thailand to decide what their entry requirements are (although as part of ASEAN citizens of either country can enter the other for up to 30 days visa-free).

I'm wondering whether the USA, Australia etc. would react if this was occcuring to it's nationals at the Thai border. Just some food for thought.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is typical Thai hospitality.

You can find other examples such as

Thai Free , Foreigner 150 Baht admission

Thai 100 Baht , Foreigner 300 Baht admission.

etc, etc, etc

Someday ;they will pay back all these silliness total and very expensive.

still going lucky but no more longer continue well .

thell get banged in Asian Economic Community (AEC) for sure.

They have no idea at all about anythink. they live to chance .

While dual pricing has not been eliminated entirely in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, it is far less prevelent than in Thailand, a much richer country than any of those 3. In Vietnam for instance, I only remember one instance of dual pricing, namely at the Hue Palace and the difference between local and foreigner price wasn't excessive: 35,000 VND for locals compared to 55,000 VND for foreigners. Everywhere else, such as at the HCMC war museum, Nha Trang Cham Towers etc. etc. there was no dual pricing and the entrance fees were mostly less than one USD dollar (15,000 or 16,000 VND).

In Laos, dual pricing is not common either, mostly at a couple of major temples or waterfalls etc. and then the price different isn't much - 2,000 Kip for locals and 5,000 for foreigners but unlike in Thailand, nearly everyone is asked to pay the foreigner price unless they can prove they are Lao or otherwise entitled. In Thailand, it's more a case of racial profiling - locals or local looking people are never asked for ID and just given the local price, foreigners, including those who speak any non-Thai language with each other near the entrance will be asked for the foreigner price and in the case of national parks, the Sukhothai historical park etc. it's difficult to get in for the local price even if you show a Thai driver's license or work permit.

I wonder if the Thais think it's reasonable that the Vietnamese refuse to honor the 2001? GMS cross border transport agreement by refusing to allow Thai cars to enter their territory for temporary tourism purposes. Maybe this newly enforced rule is just the Thais getting back at the Vietnamese for this? Then again, the Vietnamese are now refusing Cambodian and most other foreign registered vehicles from other countries too.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

Sounds like trying to get a visa to come to Australia

• Like 1

If they were as clever as you make out why would they want to study in Thailand? Why not somewhere else challenging like Japan, china or Singapore?

• Like 1

Sounds like trying to get a visa to come to Australia

I hate to break it to both of you, but consulates and embassies are not required to give reasons for the refusal of a foreigner's visa request. Some countries may provide a reason, many won't. Australia generally provides reasons for refusal in writing, the USA apparently does not.

what a load of rubbish.

US, UK, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Singaporean, Taiwanese, all with tourist numbers that have increased every year to date since 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_20_Most_visiting_nationalities

Yeah, your bar propping, whoring friends will be sorely missed.

mate go back to the Wat and stay there,you obvoiusly do not read the news,so why comment as you really have little to add to this discussion except your small grasp of well ,anything.

All I can say to you all is Get a life.

Yes,but you post on this forum,i really am sick of people who add nothing to a discussion apart from get a life,is yours so magnificent,if you don't have anything to add just lay off with the get a life will you it's boring,and shows you really don't have one,otherwise what are you on tv for?

What a bunch of nit wit posts.

Singapore in particular loves to haul thai travellers over the coals when arriving overland. Not a peep for you fellas. This stuff isn't unusual anywhere in the world.

Most of you lot are running scared as you know it is only a matter of time befor you all start getting pulled up. Bring it on, I say!

• Like 1