News Corp to publish newspapers for 'decades and decades'

webfact

News Corp to publish newspapers for 'decades and decades'

SYDNEY - The head of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. on Monday said the group will be publishing newspapers for "decades" and hit out at the "morbid mindset" of those who say print is dead.

Chief executive Robert Thomson, who oversees more than 100 newspapers including The Wall Street Journal and The Times of London, rejected fears the medium was finished as the industry battles a slump in advertising and circulation revenues.

"It’s a sign of a morbid mindset that afflicts not just in this country but, internationally, some media groups," Thomson told The Australian broadsheet, a News Corp. newspaper.

"Fatalism can be fatal. I think people have failed to articulate enough the power of print as a platform."

He added that News Corp’s newspapers would be in print for "decades and decades and decades ... print will continue to evolve in the same way that digital is evolving".

His comments came just days after he extolled the value of newspapers in a media and advertising event in Sydney, saying they played an important role in his company’s multimedia future and that advertisers were still attracted to print.
AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-26

What a bloody shame. Ruphert's mother was ashamed of him rest her soul. Now he wants the WHOLE if the world to,hate him,tio.

I would rather Yingluck. Her influence sphere was minimal

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

In the US now newspapers only survive by collecting advertisements and sending them out in mass mailings as a kind of government subsidized paper spam. If you opt out they opt you right back in. The same with phone books; every year someone throws a phone book at your house and you are obliged to throw it away yourself. It's a zombie industry that doesn't know it's dead.

With most of his rising stars from the defunct NoW now on trial and with the revelations so far I can hardly believe he and James were not aware and probably sanctioned what others are likely to do time for.

I prefer to read a newspaper, because I read articles that i would not notice on-line. I am all for keeping them going. thumbsup.gif

Which marks you out as a dying breed over the age of 50.....brutal, sad, but probably true.

Who wants to read a paper edition of yesterday's news packaged/presented to suit an editor not the reader?

Would you be interested in a paper version of ThaiVisa delivered each morning with no means of adding your comment apart from a "letter to the editor" that only gets published if it suits his agenda?