Thaivisa Is Hiring

Thaivisa.com is hiring - or outsourcing

Thaivisa.com is Asia's biggest on-line expat community. We are expanding our internet presence, and are currently looking for two positions, or a company (in Thailand) that can provide these services:

1. -->>> Content manager/web master/PHP programmer

To manage our Typo3 content management system for our main website www.thaivisa.com and related sites. You will add new content, think new content, make banners, buttons and logos. Be able to rewamp and update our travel sites with some professional design and SEO. At least one to two years experience of CMS, PHP and MySQL.

2. -->>> Sales assistant for thaivisa.com

To maintain and contact new sponsors and sell advertising in Thailand. High commission or revenue sharing for the right professional person or company.

WHO CAN APPLY?:

Foreigner or Thai citizen. Or a company who want to work with us.

DEADLINE IS JUNE 23, 2006:

Simply send a short email with your CV/Resume, contact details and portfolio to:

[email protected]

May I suggest a total re-design of the site, I hate to say it, but it's not the most beautiful creation.

As an example, the main page has over one hundred valadation errors in the markup, and the graphical work is well... non-existant.

Just my 2 cents.

May I suggest a total re-design of the site, I hate to say it, but it's not the most beautiful creation.

As an example, the main page has over one hundred valadation errors in the markup, and the graphical work is well... non-existant.

Just my 2 cents.

You are right, the site is three years old now. We want to make it a fresh portal.

Thaivisa has more then just forums?

WOW - I just took a look at the main page. Persoanlly I think you guys are going waaaaayyyy overboard with the ads. They are everywhere and it looks very cluttered. I hope you make some changes to this with the new version. Clickthrough rates might actually go up if you have less ads...

So what are you planning for the new site? What kind of new content?

Also, do you have to use a CMS? Much better results can be created by coding the pages manually and doing it "properly", if you know what I mean.

Dissagree... CMS is the only way you would ever want to manage a large site, coding manual pages is not only a waste of time, but is a messy approach to design. Its far better to have a SQL server backed solution using any number of avaliable software titles(a good, free one being druple).

1. -->>> Content manager/web master/PHP programmer

To manage our Typo3 content management system for our main website www.thaivisa.com and related sites. You will add new content, think new content, make banners, buttons and logos. Be able to rewamp and update our travel sites with some professional design and SEO. At least one to two years experience of CMS, PHP and MySQL.

Seems to me you might want to break this up into 2-3 positions.

Trying to find one person that will think of unique content, write it, proofread it, then add it to the website with professional design and graphics whilst also optimising the pages well for the SEs, and on top of that having 1-2 years programming skills might be a bit much to ask for. :o

Is there any indication as to wages as well?

*Drupal

Yes I agree. Why on earth would you think that manually coding each page is the correct way? Can you imagine a website like yahoo hand coding millions and millions of webpages?

CMSs often create very messy and verbose code which can be a nightmare to debug. I'm talking about the off-the-shelf CMSs here by the way - there's no way Yahoo would have been written using one of those. Any site of that size would have it's own, custom made in-house CMS which, sure, is a good way to write a site, rather than these packaged programs or visual programs like Dreamweaver.

And hand-coding doesn't mean writing each page individually from scratch, of course not. And, by the way, millions of pages in Yahoo? There's a lot, but surely not that many!

Also, the other advantage with using a CMS is that you don't need to have any technical experience with HTML etc if you want to update content i.e news items and other text based information. Techies hate doing this kind of work, as it is a waste of their skills.

Edited by johnwills

I find that the only people who espouse hand-built sites anymore are old-school web designers who got left behind :o

I can't remember the last site I built that didn't have a cms or blog tool on the backend. Even if it's only a couple of pages, you never know how its going to grow.

BP

Edited by BillyParadise