What happened to 98.5 MHz FM "Happy Radio" Chiang Mai?

elektrified

I've listened to this station while driving for years now. Great radio station. I think (but am not sure) that the station is located inside KSK. Suddenly there is nothing but static for days now. I don't really see how it could be coup related?

Anyone know what happened? Don't see any notice on any of their facebook pages.

Alternatively are there any other stations playing such diverse programming? (Rock, pop, jazz from the 1940's to modern day, Latin music, world music, etc.)

I also listen to this station when driving, and marvel that I still remember the tunes of 60yr old hits. (Tom Dooley, Heartbreak Hotel)

It would be nice to get a bit of international news though, not only USA news. I recorded some "Audio Books" on my last visit to Oz, and the USB socket on the radio sure is handy!

Cities such as Singapore have a BBC station going 24/7.

Smartphone. Xiialive, Stitcher or TuneIn. Bluetooth transmitter to play it on your car radio.

Sorted.

Does this maintain a good connection as you drive around--over any distance? T

I found that that was always the problem with 'Happy Radio' in that it was effective over a fairly short radius around CNX--this 'App' that you refer to is dependent on what--a good Data connection?

I found that that was always the problem with 'Happy Radio' in that it was effective over a fairly short radius around CNX--this 'App' that you refer to is dependent on what--a good Data connection?

Over the last couple of weeks I was able to get a nice clear signal on Happy Radio all the way to Lamphun and in Lamphun itself. I was also able to get a nice clear signal all the way to Mae Tang/Mae Ngat Dam.

I also miss HAPPY -- here is my take - it appears all international news outlets are blocked - cnn bbc cnbc Bloomberg -- one of the program features of Happy is that every 1/2 1 hour or so they broadcast a CBS news segment from the USA - that's my bet why

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone have any updates as to when regular radio programming will resume? Both Chiang Mai Radio and Happy Radio are both off the air so there is absolutely nothing to listen to in the car. I really miss the radio as I drive many km every day. There must be some stations on the air as I can get very faint signals of some pretty bad Looktoong music. Is it only C.M. stations that are down? How can these stations stay in business without advertising income? Or.....are they already out of business?

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any updates as to when regular radio programming will resume? Both Chiang Mai Radio and Happy Radio are both off the air so there is absolutely nothing to listen to in the car. I really miss the radio as I drive many km every day. There must be some stations on the air as I can get very faint signals of some pretty bad Looktoong music. Is it only C.M. stations that are down? How can these stations stay in business without advertising income? Or.....are they already out of business?

Since the thread got bumped, perhaps I can suggest you invest in a little gizmo that plugs into your cig lighter and broadcasts on the FM channel of your choice. You then Bluetooth-connect it to your phone and you can play Internet radio, or music/podcasts stored on your phone.

I find it infinitely preferable to the jammering and commercials that seem to fill the airwaves.

This is the one I currently use. Cost about Bt1500 but given how much I use it and what it's saving me from, it's a bargain.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DDE4VY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just to add a bit to what Chicog said, .......I have a car stereo with Bluetooth capability. When I connect my cell phone to my car stereo via Bluetooth, all the sound of my phone comes out of my car stereo speakers. My cell phone is an Android based phone so I installed an internet radio app and stream radio stations from the USA as I drive around Chiang Mai. It's definitely worth investing in this technology to listen to the music that you like while driving around town.