Bangkok Administration addresses drug problem, calls on public to be eyes and ears

webfact

BMA addresses drug problem, calls on public to be eyes and ears

BANGKOK, 19 June 2014 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is stepping up measures against drug abuse while asking the public to be eyes and ears for authorities.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Pusadee Tamthai, in her capacity as acting Bangkok Governor, said drug problems had become one of the most important and urgent issues, especially in Bangkok where drug abuse exists in many communities.

She said the BMA had been working hard on eradicating drug problems in accordance with its policy to establish Bangkok as the Metropolitan of Happiness.

The acting governor also called on the public to contribute to solutions to the problem by keeping their eyes open and reporting any suspicious activities. She added that the community itself would be key to effectively eliminate drugs in the Thai society.

Lastly, she said love and understanding in the family could provide an immune to protect family members from becoming drug victims.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-19 footer_n.gif

Don't expect this method to work out. There is a guy apparently homeless who looks like a meth addict-very, very skinny with terrible teeth. When he is under the influence he walks along Lad Prao street in full view of everyone-his pants about two sizes too big and slipping down exposing several inches of his pubic hair- another inch lower and he would be hanging out. I was in a taxi when i saw him the first time-everyone on the street just ignored him and walked on by. I see him sleeping on the street occasionally similarly dressed in same pair of pants and people ignore him and walk on. I have asked several street vendors who speak some English and ask why no one calls police. "He don't steal from me so OK" There is a police box about 350 meters from this location but i guess they don't see also.

This acting Bangkok Governor still probably thinks that ethanol is not a drug and is a separate issue from the so-called "drug problems".

The acting governor also called on the public to contribute to solutions to the problem by keeping their eyes open and reporting any suspicious activities.

What does she mean by "suspicious activities"? People dancing all night having fun on methamphetamine or MDMA and harming nobody around them?

She added that the community itself would be key to effectively eliminate drugs in the Thai society.

Does she want to "effectively eliminate" ethanol and tobacco, or does she not consider them as drugs? Here is yet another person in authority with the old-fashioned wrong way of thinking about drugs.

Edited by hyperdimension

Deputy Bangkok Governor Pusadee Tamthai, in her capacity as acting Bangkok Governor, said drug problems had become one of the most important and urgent issues, especially in Bangkok where drug abuse exists in many communities.

Ethanol consumption should be included in this so-called "drug abuse" umbrella. A good way to tackle the problems that have arisen from ethanol consumption is to legalize less harmful recreational drugs in order to provide alternatives that are less harmful to society and users themselves. At the moment ethanol is the only drug that people have the option to legally take if they at any time wish to greatly alter their state of mind (for whatever reason, as is their personal right), yet it is one of the most harmful recreational drugs. The recently-released WHO report documents the harms in great detail:

WHO report reveals Thailand is reeling under a liquor tsunami

http://www.who.int/s...ohol_report/en/

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

even when younger, long term users of meth have distinctive physical appearance which looks very different from a homeless person. I had several friends from college when I was younger who were interested in the entertainment business and got heavy into coke and freebasing, so i think I can spot drug use more readily than the average person who has never been around this. I tried to help them for several years and gave up after they repeatedly refused their parents offers for paid rehab stints out of state. If you've never been involved in this, until someone really wants to change, all they do is suck the life out of those around them with lies, stealing. etc. It's not something i wish to discuss more. Unless it was a close family member, I don't think I would get involved in that process again.

I agree alcohol should be included in the definition. Two people who lived in my condo building back home died from alcohol poisoning. They were what is commonly described as functioning alcoholics- worked but went home and drank to excess for years apparently- until their bodies gave out. Didn't know them only knew people who lived by them that discussed what happened after their deaths.

Edited by orchidlady
  • Like 1

Don't expect this method to work out. There is a guy apparently homeless who looks like a meth addict-very, very skinny with terrible teeth. When he is under the influence he walks along Lad Prao street in full view of everyone-his pants about two sizes too big and slipping down exposing several inches of his pubic hair- another inch lower and he would be hanging out. I was in a taxi when i saw him the first time-everyone on the street just ignored him and walked on by. I see him sleeping on the street occasionally similarly dressed in same pair of pants and people ignore him and walk on. I have asked several street vendors who speak some English and ask why no one calls police. "He don't steal from me so OK" There is a police box about 350 meters from this location but i guess they don't see also.

He's probably not an addict, more likely one of the many homeless mentally Ill that are left to their devices.

• Like 1

Sometimes the level of drivel in these NNBT announcements is truly amazing.

Consider: ..."to establish Bangkok as the Metropolitan of Happiness". A metropolitan is defined as either "A bishop whose see is a civil metropolis" or

"A person who lives in a metropolis" so how can Bangkok be either?

Ok, I'm being pendantic and it's just poor English, but "Love and understanding in the family could provide an immune to protect family members from becoming drug victims"

Eh? Again leaving aside the poor English, anyone who has had to deal with drug addiction can testify that it is more likely to tear families apart as the user will do almost anything to feed his habit.

If there is to be "a war on drugs" it needs a professional, multi-disciplinary approach, not sanctimonious clap-trap and spying on the neighbours.

I can never understand drug enforcement policies . sociology problems are the cause . if people want the right to consumerism and capitalism, take advantage of the privileges wealth and power brings the off -shoot will always be poverty struggle escapism ( drugs) and crime and corruption. either accept it or change the system.

The other problem is the type of drugs so prevalent here . Why not introduce less harmful drugs as an alternative. MDMA , is way less harmful to an individual and society . From my experience way better to. Flood the market with decent drugs and you half the problems straight away. even Cocaine is better. That poor actress / model of who ever she was got 10 years for 1/4 gram when the meth-heads with ice get caught with a few grams of that nasty stuff they get 18 months what kind of message is THAT???

• Like 1

They wont be able to solve this problem the west has tried for the last 60 years and its has become even more prevalent than before, legalise some softer alternatives and reduce the profits criminals will soon realise that there is no money to be made.while you limit the damage .

• Like 2

"The acting governor also called on the public to contribute to solutions to the problem by keeping their eyes open and reporting any suspicious activities."

it worked for the Stasi... what a great community we will live in...

Pity Thailand -along with the US and most developed nations- doesn't legalize drugs. Wars on drugs simply don't work- but its good business for police, attorneys, prosecutors and prisons.

And good business for the drug dealer and mafia. If you would legalize it, selling the harder stuff controlled in pharmacies, there would be no money in selling drugs and the complete mafia would brake down....Surely that isn't wanted.

Pity Thailand -along with the US and most developed nations- doesn't legalize drugs. Wars on drugs simply don't work- but its good business for police, attorneys, prosecutors and prisons.

pity world !!!!! Many thanks to the american for the drug war !!!

I'd better be careful with my illegal smile.

Try not to smile too much otherwise neighbours may think you are on methamphetamine or MDMA and report you for "suspicious activity". Try not to smile at all when passing police officers or soldiers. It's dangerous to express extreme happiness in public.

So that you can spot the "suspicous" behavior of drug users, here are some recorded accounts of people using illegal drugs:

MDMA:

Amphetamine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm60C0Q6RqU

If you ever see such kind of behavior (i.e. people having a fun time partying, or working too enthusiastically and happily), the governor would like you to report them to the authorities immediately so that such criminals can be arrested and locked up.