Toll-free number really free?

BangkokHank

My foreign-based employer has given me a phone number to call here in Thailand in order to join the company's weekly conference call. The number starts with 001-800, followed by a six-digit number. The company says the number is toll-free. Does anybody have any experience with calling such numbers from Thailand? Is it really going to be a free call if I call this number on my mobile phone? I don't want to spend an hour on a conference call only to find out afterward that I got charged for an international call. Anyone's experience with such calls would be appreciated. Thanks.

No this is not going to be toll free... You will also hear a message telling you the same in Thai and English both..

Better option is to ask if you can join via a normal landline number and then download free App named "magicJack"

This app allows you to make free calls to any mobile or landline number in the USA , but will not work for 1-800 numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, CW, but I see now that I should have mentioned that my employer is based in Vietnam rather than the US. Also, the toll-free number that they gave me is apparently a Thailand-based number rather than a US-based one. US phone numbers have seven digits whereas this one has only six.

Still, thanks for the magicJack app suggestion as I can use it to call family and friends in the US.

Yes, Thailand has toll free numbers as well. However, your cell will still use "minutes" to connect it won't be completely free. If you used a land line, it would be completely free.

Edited by CMSteve

I believe it's toll-free. I have a number with 001 800 to my company in the US. No fees!

Thanks, Joealx, but can I ask you: Do you call that number from a land line, or from a mobile phone? I believe that can make a difference.

I call the US sometimes on my mobile via the local AT&T number in Thailand and, no matter how long I am on the phone, 1-2-Call charges me nothing. The business I call pays AT&T and, I assume, AT&T pays AIS something, but not out of my pocket.

I believe it's toll-free. I have a number with 001 800 to my company in the US. No fees!

Thanks, Joealx, but can I ask you: Do you call that number from a land line, or from a mobile phone? I believe that can make a difference.

I call the US sometimes on my mobile via the local AT&T number in Thailand and, no matter how long I am on the phone, 1-2-Call charges me nothing. The business I call pays AT&T and, I assume, AT&T pays AIS something, but not out of my pocket.

Thanks very much. That sounds promising.

rolleyes.gif of course it's not "tool free".

Someone has to pay for the connection from TOT or whatever it travels on to exit Thailand and get to the U.S. carrier.

Now, if you work for an international company who maintains a line for their business calls, they may allow you as an employee to use there line for your personal calls internationally as a perk to you.

But, as the saying goes "TINFL" (There Is No Free Lunch), and somebody must pay for that call somewhere.

I just went around and around with my U.S. bank about this..... they keep insisting that I should use the toll free 1-800 number they gave me to call from Bangkok.

Cost me slightly over 700 Baht to finally stop them from "transferring" my international call to a "tool free number" to save me money.

Bottom line ..... unless you use Skype or some other third party paid connection .... toll free numbers are not toll free outside the U.S.