Coffee

intel4004

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coffee like many things is a matter of personal taste. I quite like McDonald's coffee and do not care at all for Starbucks. Most Asian coffees are too strong for my taste. Enjoy a mild Columbian roast or some Jamaican Blue Mountain!

I use to buy coffee from places like Rimping but found the quality is not always the same. So I started to buy green coffee beans and roasting them in a wok at my house. The price is about 250 baht for 1kg here in Chiang Mai but if you buy the beans from the farmer you can get 1kg from about 125 baht to 150 baht. Roasting the beans myself takes about 30 minutes, then about 10 minutes to filter out all the outer skin of the beans...what is left is perfectly roasted morning pleasure. It might take a few tries to learn how to roast them but it is really worth the effort.

I don't know your various reasons for avoiding Starbucks...but I will say the quality of the coffee is most excellent and I have spoken to wholesale coffee "buyers" in various regions of the World and they all give SBUX high marks on their beans.

Of note, the beans here are not over-roasted like they are at the US stores. The reason for this is that the US now makes so many types of syrupy drinks that a milder coffee roast flavor would be completely overwhelmed by the additions. (if you look at the typical coffee purchase stateside, it looks more like a desert drink than a coffee--and most likely a contributor to American obesity.)

Ha, that reminded me of this excellent web comic.

http://en.ilovecoffee.jp/posts/view/71

coffee_judge_comic.png

Hmmm I must be a peasant as I get a 1kg bag of Sole` Cafe roasted Coffee beans from Macro for 290 baht. Its a mix of Robusta and Arabica beans and always perks me up in the morning. In fact they are on special at the moment for 285 (Big deal.....NOT)

Perhaps I need to get out a bit and sample some of these premium beans that have been mentioned.

Hmmm I must be a peasant as I get a 1kg bag of Sole` Cafe roasted Coffee beans from Macro for 290 baht. Its a mix of Robusta and Arabica beans and always perks me up in the morning. In fact they are on special at the moment for 285 (Big deal.....NOT)

Perhaps I need to get out a bit and sample some of these premium beans that have been mentioned.

I was on the 'Makro coffee bean" thing for awhile.

Compared to Akha Ama and Alti they are bitter and at times a little burnt.

400-500 baht per kg for a premium bean isn't going to break the bank.

Edited by DaamNaam

Well, I have had 3 attempts now at the Ahka Ahma Full City Roast and its very disappointing. The beans are light in colour so dont look like Full Roast to me and deliver weak coffee. Doubled up on the quantity today and still not strong but bitter and not a good flavour.

Not anywhere close to Hilkoff City Roast to my taste - maybe I got a bad batch.

I still have their Peaberry to try and Cafe Blend - the Peaberries are a good dark colour so I hope for better things.....

Well, I have had 3 attempts now at the Ahka Ahma Full City Roast and its very disappointing. The beans are light in colour so dont look like Full Roast to me and deliver weak coffee. Doubled up on the quantity today and still not strong but bitter and not a good flavour.

Not anywhere close to Hilkoff City Roast to my taste - maybe I got a bad batch.

I still have their Peaberry to try and Cafe Blend - the Peaberries are a good dark colour so I hope for better things.....

Sad to say I had similar results. Tried a cuppa City Roast on site and found it too bland. I took home some Italian beans and found it much inferior to the Doi Kham beans from the kitchen supply store which was 300 baht for 500 grams. Not great coffee but more to my liking than Ahka Ahma.

A matter of personal taste, of course. Will try Kasem next.

Coffee experts will say 100% Arabica is the only way to go, maybe a good place to start. I prefer Hillkoff City Roast but myself as my everyday fix and go for some of the stronger styles occasionally for a change. There are some local brands I prefer more but are hard to get consistently as they don't get the customer service end of the business and am only willing to work so hard to give them my business, it's a lose lose situation.

Edited by junglechef

If you are into coffee tasting, try Fabb coffee on the canal road. They sell over 100 varieties from around the world. cups from 80-600bt. The most expensive bean I saw was Kopi Luwak Indonesia. A mere 32,000bt per kg. Jamaican Blue is a mere 13,200bt in comparison.

Coffee experts will say 100% Arabica is the only way to go, maybe a good place to start. I prefer Hillkoff City Roast but myself as my everyday fix and go for some of the stronger styles occasionally for a change. There are some local brands I prefer more but are hard to get consistently as they don't get the customer service end of the business and am only willing to work so hard to give them my business, it's a lose lose situation.

Finally got to Hillkoff yesterday and ended up in the wrong shop which seemed to be selling takeaway cups, plates, napkins etc...got the message after about 30 secs. Wandered next door where it looks like you can even train to be a barista! It is heaven for coffee lovers so much stuff, you can even get corn flakes there! I guess a lot of farangs go in there and they are tapping into that market.

Got the Hillkoff city roast and got them to ground it. While I was there I bought a mocha/expresso stove top pot (3 cup), pricey but nice. Very helpful staff and friendly, well worth going, they do have a cafe as well.

Got around to brewing some today and very pleased with the outcome, only slight bitterness. The simple stove top espresso pot seemed to brew a comparable quality to a coffee machine my friend has (costing £500 here) which grinds and makes the coffee at the same time for you! Might try it in a filter pot another day to see how it compares. I must add I do add a lot of milk to my coffee, ends up being a latte really.

Was thinking of investing in a grinder, any recommendations? Do the hand ones do just as good a job as the electric?

Finally got to Hillkoff yesterday and ended up in the wrong shop which seemed to be selling takeaway cups, plates, napkins etc...got the message after about 30 secs. Wandered next door where it looks like you can even train to be a barista! It is heaven for coffee lovers so much stuff, you can even get corn flakes there! I guess a lot of farangs go in there and they are tapping into that market.

Got the Hillkoff city roast and got them to ground it. While I was there I bought a mocha/expresso stove top pot (3 cup), pricey but nice. Very helpful staff and friendly, well worth going, they do have a cafe as well.

Got around to brewing some today and very pleased with the outcome, only slight bitterness. The simple stove top espresso pot seemed to brew a comparable quality to a coffee machine my friend has (costing £500 here) which grinds and makes the coffee at the same time for you! Might try it in a filter pot another day to see how it compares. I must add I do add a lot of milk to my coffee, ends up being a latte really.

Was thinking of investing in a grinder, any recommendations? Do the hand ones do just as good a job as the electric?

I agree -great shop for coffee lovers, and worth trying their peaberry beans.

Yes the handgrinders are great. I think we paid about 1000 baht for the Tiamo in the same shop and use it daily. And throw in a few cardamom pods and a little cinnammon stick, coz that's the way we like it. Folks say that the hand burr grinders are much better than electric which tend to produce a finer powder.

I recently bought a Krupps electric grinder at Robinsons for about 2200. Home Pro and others have them for 3400.
It's great. You set a dial for the quantity and another for the grind - from espresso to french press - press a button
and Babs is your aunt.

I love it. The hand grinder was pretty good but I'm too foggy and lazy in the mornings.

I recently bought a Krupps electric grinder at Robinsons for about 2200. Home Pro and others have them for 3400.

It's great. You set a dial for the quantity and another for the grind - from espresso to french press - press a button

and Babs is your aunt.

I love it. The hand grinder was pretty good but I'm too foggy and lazy in the mornings.

Yep, if you need your first coffee before you can drive the hand grinder that's a toughie! 555

I am on Day 2 of no coffee. Of course, this does not mean 'no caffeine'. I think tea is better for my stomach, after 28 years of coffee. Tea, I've heard, will stain your teeth quicker. Anyhow, the tea in Chiang Mai with the three horses is crazy strong. I get it at tesco on the south side of the moat and there is Chinese writing. anyhow.....not trying to hijack the thread.

I don't understand the reference to Starbucks and high kilojoule food...i suppose it depends on what coffee you are talking about.

A latte or a fiat white is just coffee and milk....either full cream or low fat.

I add the sugar myself... 2 teaspoons,

Can't see the problem with that.

I suppose different nationalities drink their coffee differently. A pint of coffee in a mug is pretty much unheard of outside the US I would think...

Edited by mikey88

• 1 year later...

Dragging up an old thread but given that the info here is still relevant, no sense in starting a new one. There might be some newer 'brands' around though. I use an Aeropress and a French Press at home to make something resembling an americano when I want a coffee at home. I'm not so into coffee that I want a home espresso machine or the expense / hassle of buying and maintaining it. I do grind my own beans though, or at least 90% of the time. Summary of what I've tried so far (not so much really):

Duang Dee Hill Tribe (Orange packet - ready ground): Terrible IMO. Tastes over roasted to me, very burnt and bitter.

City Roast: From both Akha Ama and Hillkoff. Probably the worst coffee I've EVER tasted. Washed out and bland with no depth of flavour or richness. More akin to the taste of tea! Looks like dishwater when pressed too, cloudy and insipid. Seriously, I'd rather drink Nescafe Red Cup. Both packets binned.

Hillkoff: French and Italian Roast. Both quite nice, my favourite so far. I think the Italian has the edge, just for the americano / espresso experience but the French is nice for a slighty lighter cup. Both about 115 baht for 250g

Some I plan to try:

Toong: I think that's the name. Shop on the Samoeng Rd near the Canal Road intesection (the opposite side of the junction to Tesco amongst the sprinkling of restaurants). I'm told they roast their own and supposed to be very good.

Alti: Heard mixed reviews of this. Will give it a shot.

Redcliff: postal only from Chiang Rai IIRC.

Whichever I try though I'll start of in the middle of the roasts and try up. French / Espresso. Def NOT City.

Thanks for kick-starting the thread again. I have been getting coffee beans from White Cup, almost exactly half way between CM and CR, whenever friends come down from CR. They are a nice dark roast, full of flavour IMO, but the idea of exploring all the roasters mentioned in this thread is too good to pass up.

Thanks again - I'll post when I get some results from the up-coming voyage of discovery.

Had a couple of Cappuccinos' (What a bastard of a word to spell) last week in the 1st Residence coffee shop (main road Mae Rim) and I was delightfully surprised. Very good barista (easy on the eye too) and an amazing coffee.

I enquired as to what beans they are using and was surprised to hear that they use Doi Chaing! Silly me didnt ask what roast type but I will find out and give it a go in my own machine.

The Sole Cafe brand from Makro may just have to stay in the back of the cupboard if things look good with Doi Chiang.

LOL. There was another brand another fellow posted a business card for, Landoy Coffee. Problem is it's a minimum order or 4KG. 4 KG could do me for 3-4 months and I don't really want freezer space taken up with coffee that long. So it's 250g bags while I'm still on trial and error then I'll go to 500g bags, maybe even 1kg. 500g maybe better for me though. Easier to ensure I'm getting fresh roasted rather than stuff that's been in storage for months on end.

I can understand that. The Sole Cafe from Makro was in 1kg bag (Beans not ground) and 390 baht. Cheap enough and far better than instant muck (IMO).

Will report back once I get my hands on the Doi Chiang beans

I can understand that. The Sole Cafe from Makro was in 1kg bag (Beans not ground) and 390 baht. Cheap enough and far better than instant muck (IMO).

Will report back once I get my hands on the Doi Chiang beans

Will put the Sole on the list. 250g first though given that I just binned 2 full bags of City Roast. Be interested to see hear what you think of Doi Chaang. Another one on my list. I've heard mixed reports about it though, hence it being a low priority.

Yah. My problem with the supermarket coffee is you have to be careful it's not from a supplier where the beans have been roasted weeks or even months before they even get to the outlet. Let alone before you buy them. Not really interested in the Bon Cafe and such like

Am a big fan of Aka Ama but its a tad expensive so I have worked my way tasting lots of cheaper brands from Rimping, Yok primarily over the last few years. Quite a few good ones for the price but recently blown away by the coffee at a new coffee shop on the 2nd ring road next to the balloon park. Per chance asked the owner and its their own blend from 2 estates in Chiang Rai, 100% organic Arabica. I think Hill tribe grown. They only sell to independents but kindly let me purchase 1kg for 500bt. Very reasonable for such quality. Its called Hom Doi. Now everytime I pop in to reorder, they tell me how fresh it is..todays purchase is 4 days old.