Direct deposit for Canadian Pensioners to a Thai Bank

I applied last November to have my Canadian Pension deposited into a Thai Bank instead of the Canadian Bank that I usually deal with. This month my pension wasn't deposited into my Canadian Bank Account so I telephoned the Canada Revenue Service and found out that it has been transferred to another account but they couldn't tell me which one. Hopefully by next week it will be deposited into my Thai Bank Account. It's taken 6 months to do this and I never received any confirmation from Revenue Canada that they would be doing this until my phone call. I hope that this information will help any other Canadian intending to do this and will do a follow up when and if it is deposited into my account. I hope that this has helped you. Thanks

Doesn't Service Canada deal with Old Age Pensions and Canada Pension Plan. Surely Revenue Canada is Income Tax related. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada manages the two main Canadian pension programs; the Canada Pension Plan and the Old Age Security program. I had the direct deposit problem and also inquired about Income Tax being taken off my Old Age Pension as I'm filing under Section 217 for a reduced amount of taxes so I was re-directed to different departments.

Why bother. Mine gets deposited into my Cdn bank, and I use my debit card to withdraw in LOS.

Also helps to not give the gov't too much info - they just get confused !

I sent a reply,just waiting

for it to get posted.

Why bother. Mine gets deposited into my Cdn bank, and I use my debit card to withdraw in LOS.

Also helps to not give the gov't too much info - they just get confused

I did that also but I have to make 3 withdrawals at a cost of 180 Baht for Thailand and150 Baht for my Bank per withdrawal and other service charges which total over 1000 Baht. Then I deposit my money, update my bank book, showing monthly deposits in case Immigration asks for it when I renew my Retirement Visa each year as a Letter of Verification from the Canadian Embassy may not be enough. You also get a better exchange rate by a direct deposit to Thailand. Now I won't be charged anything at my Bank's ATM branches and can update my bankbook without having to wait in line. Also if my Canadian Debit Card was lost or stolen it would be a pain in the butt in order to get a new one.

Re: ATM card ...

My card would not work in LOS about 3 years ago. Had to transfer funds to my Mastercard and use that.

Went back to Canada and asked for a replacement card - and a spare.

Was told "We are sorry, but we do not give two debit cards for the same account"

I said - "Close all my accounts and issue me a bank draft. I am going across the street and open an account"

Had a second card in less than 5 minutes.

I get 30K baht at a crack, so the charges don't bother me too much. And my $$$ is in Canada in case something were to happen.

I don't know Swift. I deal with TD Canada Trust and if I want to send money to Thailand I have to be there in person. I've taken out 200,000 at a time which is 10 transactions at the ATM which is at least 10,000 Baht or more. The only drawback to it being deposited into my account here is that it has to go to Bangkok first and then they transfer it to my account here so depending if its a Thursday or Friday that means waiting until Monday or Tuesday before I would receive it. Otherwise you can withdraw it the same day when they deposit it into your Cdn. account

Royal Bank has just introduced a swift transfer of $2500 per day at a cost of $13.95 per transfer. It takes a few days to show up in your Thai account. You get a better exchange rate and save on the ATM charges. Hopefully this is helpful.

Royal Bank has just introduced a swift transfer of $2500 per day at a cost of $13.95 per transfer. It takes a few days to show up in your Thai account. You get a better exchange rate and save on the ATM charges. Hopefully this is helpful.

Is the max $2500 for that rate do you know ?

Last time I sent aprox $10K and they got me for $75.00

Thank you for the information but un-fortunately I don't have a Royal Bank account but it is better than TD Canada Trust.

Heed this advise well. I totally agree.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I don't know Swift. I deal with TD Canada Trust and if I want to send money to Thailand I have to be there in person.

Sorry Apache but that just is not true. As a TD-CT customer the 8 yrs I've been here SWIFT transfers with TD-CT are an easy and expedient way to move larger amounts to Thailand. Just contact your manager/rep at TD-CT. They will want a written, signed request (fax or PDF) and your banks info here (their name, address, SWIFT number and your account number). Transfer fees are reasonable and $$ here in 3-5 working days.

Heed this advise well. I totally agree.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

That's your choice to use your ATM card and I also have been doing that but this be more conveniently for me by not having to not do 3 ATM withdrawals at one time then standing in line to deposit it into my Thai account,having my bank book updated in order to show Immigration that I have a monthly Income as I use the combination method of pension and money in the Bank. Sometimes Immigration will ask for your bank book to see the monthly deposits along with the proof of income Notarized by the CDN. Embassy in Bangkok. I just don't want an unnecessary problems obtaining my Retirement Visa.

Canadian Direct Deposit follow up

I waited 6 days before finding out that Thailand had returned the pension money back to Canada for some unknown reason. Service Canada said they would re-deposit it back into my Canadian Bank and then try again to have it deposited here in 2 months time. I told them to forget it and just keep sending it to my Canadian bank and I will just keep on using my debit card. Thanks to all who replied.