Germany vs Algeria - Round of 16 - Tues 01 July, 03:00 am, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Fun game so far. Algeria is really impressing me with some excellent offensive playing. They just lack the finishing touch. Let's see if Germany can follow Dutch's and France's example of keeping their cool and coming out victorious in the end. As a Dutch person I am obviously hoping for a Germany-Netherlands final!

• Like 1

Fun game so far. Algeria is really impressing me with some excellent offensive playing. They just lack the finishing touch. Let's see if Germany can follow Dutch's and France's example of keeping their cool and coming out victorious in the end. As a Dutch person I am obviously hoping for a Germany-Netherlands final!

Yes, please! smile.png

Algeria had early chances to really rattle the Germans but could not take them. Once Germany settled the ship in the 2nd half you felt a German win was inevitable. Algeria took them to extra time and really made them work for it. Neure had to make several dashes outside the area to clear as Algeria exposed the pedestrian German central defence repeatedly.

Algeria had early chances to really rattle the Germans but could not take them. Once Germany settled the ship in the 2nd half you felt a German win was inevitable. Algeria took them to extra time and really made them work for it. Neure had to make several dashes outside the area to clear as Algeria exposed the pedestrian German central defence repeatedly.

Welcome to the future of soccer. It looked like the German central defenders were sleeping, but if you watch closely, they were always high up in the pitch...higher up than a usual central defender. Mainly to assist opening the game. This is only possible with Neuer as a goalie. Germany has many many other great and talented goalkeepers, but the coach chose Neuer for his playing style...an active goalkeeper. You'll see more of these "exposed" defenses...especially when other teams catch on to it or use it as another tactical option.

If you really recap the game, how many CLEAR chances did Algeria have? And with clear chances I don't mean " if Neuer wouldnt have stood where he was" or "the defender made a last second block"....not too many. Maybe 3 at most ( including the 1 they scored ).

• Like 1