Impressed by Chiang Mai

jongunnar

but back on topic which c/mai district has the most potential , for building, buying or rental etc etc, me thinks mae rim,but biased of course

I remember now, you were looking at the green valley condo project.

The one with extensive 'concrete cancer' after having the frame build and abandoned to the elements 15 years ago.

The one with a 'access road' battle still running.

Sounds like a real quality condo.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just went for a walk in the rain- with a brolly. But towards the end fold the brolly up and let the rain cool me down. So wonderfully refreshing.

Walking slowly. Smiling. Seeing the lights bouncing in the droplets and puddles. Amazing spectrums of light like parts of pixels pushing through from other dimensions.

I love that it's is warm enough here to walk in the rain like this.

Happy days

Evens- I wasn't being sarcastic in my post - I was being literal!

If I were being analogous I might say something about you n Lamborghini owners stuffing the same condition.

To be sarcastic I'd say that your just about the nicest bloke anyone would be lucky enough to meet.

but back on topic which c/mai district has the most potential , for building, buying or rental etc etc, me thinks mae rim,but biased of course

I remember now, you were looking at the green valley condo project.

The one with extensive 'concrete cancer' after having the frame build and abandoned to the elements 15 years ago.

The one with a 'access road' battle still running.

Sounds like a real quality condo.

the concrete cancer is a myth, but sadly as the condo has been out naked for such a long time, those kind of innuedos are always popping up

the developer has obtained permission to finish the building from govt authorietys and they will check the condo in all aspects, again at completion

the developer has received easements rights from green valley estate to have access to the condo, through their estate,slam dunk for mine

have a bow peep if you are in the neighbourhood

presently i am sitting on the fence,as my gut feeling is, that condos are in over supply mode here in c/mai

perhaps have another think around santa clause time

a lovely morning to allsmile.png

Another thing I like about chiang Mai is being able to park relatively freely on most streets; pull over and by some moo ping kow niow for the kids on way to skool; breakfast for 40bht / under one English pound.

I admire the country for being such a natural market based economic success that people can make a living selling food so cheaply and that the laws a free enough to allow them to do it and there for the cost of living is so low that the low income workers and self sufficiency farmers can have a reasonably comfortable life with self respect for taking care of themselves independently.

A huge difference to the benefits self pity bunch of scrounges we find in the UK and other western nations.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's great that there are so many sights and activities with in a day trip driving scale. 12 + years and I am still finding new places and things to do. Never gets boring.

Good roads to drive exploring further afield.

Also great how the CNX has so many regional links now. Easy access to other countries for short or long excursions. Ticket prices are not too expensive- cheaper or similar to EU short haul flights.

Another thing I like about chiang Mai is being able to park relatively freely on most streets;

unfortunately, for those of us able to walk, they often park/ride on the sidewalks, also. Basically, I would describe the way they drive as: poor people, with a negative worth, and zero respect for their own lives, or the lives of their kids, putting other people's lives at risk, who may not be so worthless.

Another thing I like about chiang Mai is being able to park relatively freely on most streets;

unfortunately, for those of us able to walk, they often park/ride on the sidewalks, also. Basically, I would describe the way they drive as: poor people, with a negative worth, and zero respect for their own lives, or the lives of their kids, putting other people's lives at risk, who may not be so worthless.

doesn't bother me.

Your probably better suited to the USA.

I assume your just on a wind up referring to your hosts lives being less than worthless. Other wise you'd be putting yourself in the crazy old nutter box like that evens weirdo.

How about the restaurants? Great food from all over the world for a fraction of the cost of where I came from.

And the street food / local food - mmm - best in Thailand; best in the world in my book.

• Like 1

I like the street food, too. 30% of Americans are negative net worth, also. Might be more here, might be less...however, to see a group with a such a close identity to their religious beliefs have such a disregard for human life is hypocritical to say the least. They actually killed an American last night on the Super Highway. No mention of alcohol, speed, texting, or charges being brought against the driver...or even an investigation. Perhaps, just a death sentence handed out to a person working illegally.

• Like 1

This thread, which started on a positive note, quickly degenerated into such a free-for-all of childish nastiness that it brought the nannies into the room to rap knuckles.

Contemporary Chiang Mai, even with all its negatives, is a youthful lively place, with none of the desperation and despair that characterize so many other cities.

There is another dimension worth looking at, and that is the 700+ years of accomplishment, turmoil, war, and disaster that the Kohn Muang have experienced and ultimately survived.

Most of what is currently written about Chiang Mai history and culture is in short articles aimed at the tourist trade. Factual as far as they go, but they don't go very far.

This situation contrasts sharply with the many intelligent and perceptive first-person accounts left by visitors and residents in the past.

A careful study of this unique history would certainly leave anyone "Impressed by Chiang Mai."

• Like 2

Thighlander,

Are you better suited for the USA? Why don't you do a split of your time? If you are looking for courteous drivers, pedestrian rights, dog walkers #1 bike city in America, I think you know the answer...Rose City baby!

Throw in gay pride week, the naked bike ride 53 micro-breweries the largest urban park in America queer movie week world class kayaking feed the homeless month, etc

You will even learn what beervana means..,

CB

Thighlander,

Are you better suited for the USA? Why don't you do a split of your time? If you are looking for courteous drivers, pedestrian rights, dog walkers #1 bike city in America, I think you know the answer...Rose City baby!

Throw in gay pride week, the naked bike ride 53 micro-breweries the largest urban park in America queer movie week world class kayaking feed the homeless month, etc

CB

Kind of ironic that one of your PDXers, who was run over in CNX the other night was a LGBT activist. And notice the "L" comes first, because they are the most important. Got a Kleenex? I think I'm going to cry. Those PDX women will never make it as Avon Reps; they insist on putting "Mary Kay" on their faces.

• Like 2

I am a new fan of promenade mall now the park down the middle is done; and the Ragu restaurant - oh my days , fatastico, good price great food like I didn't taste for a long time - blows the other Italians out of the water on ingredients quality and taste , just ate there today, I could eat like that everyday if had the time. Only thing that would make it better is if the got full option coffees on the go; strait up black wasn't too bad but if they converted to illy then it would be 100% perfect

I am a new fan of promenade mall now the park down the middle is done; and the Ragu restaurant - oh my days , fatastico, good price great food like I didn't taste for a long time - blows the other Italians out of the water on ingredients quality and taste , just ate there today, I could eat like that everyday if had the time. Only thing that would make it better is if the got full option coffees on the go; strait up black wasn't too bad but if they converted to illy then it would be 100% perfect

If you think Ragu is good (so do I) have you tried Lapin? (italian despite the name).

Just back from a very good meal there again. Great food, ambience and service. Hard to beat in my view.

And I agree about the attraction of Promenada but feel sorry for business owners there. No attempts to build footfall, the free shuttle is a kinda secret service and events are thin on the ground-unlike Maya which always seems to have something on the go-Japanese stuff just now to stimulate foot traffic.

It wouldnt take much cash, just a little imagination and publicity to get Promenada on the move. Even wanted to give the 6 y.o. a go at the inline skate rink but no rentals, you have to buy all the kit for 3000 baht and up. Guess what we did?

If you think Ragu is good (so do I) have you tried Lapin? (italian despite the name).

Just back from a very good meal there again. Great food, ambience and service. Hard to beat in my view.

And I agree about the attraction of Promenada but feel sorry for business owners there. No attempts to build footfall, the free shuttle is a kinda secret service and events are thin on the ground-unlike Maya which always seems to have something on the go-Japanese stuff just now to stimulate foot traffic.

It wouldnt take much cash, just a little imagination and publicity to get Promenada on the move. Even wanted to give the 6 y.o. a go at the inline skate rink but no rentals, you have to buy all the kit for 3000 baht and up. Guess what we did?

Where is Lapin?

We bought the skates.

It's a private biz obviously; not an attraction for purpose foot fall. They seem to be doing ok from it.

Tbh I was feeling it a bit much but missus talked me in to it. Got a pair for myself in the end too. 15 years since last road but I still got it. Good fun- can skate about the house and park with boys , good exercise and family activity time

• Like 1

Btw beau

Just a but more story about the skates.

First try kids falling over all the time and were a bit shy about it with all the other people about; but coz bought the skates meant when got them home they keep trying till got it with out feeling self conscious. Try n try again. If just falling over for half hour- hour then probably they wouldn't have been bothered to go rent a second time- but coz bought em they learnt a good lesson.

So I just share this for your deliberation. There was a positive side beyond the sellers making money up front.

Btw beau

First try kids falling over all the time and were a bit shy about it with all the other people about; but coz bought the skates meant when got them home they keep trying till got it with out feeling self conscious. Try n try again. If just falling over for half hour- hour then probably they wouldn't have been bothered to go rent a second time- but coz bought em they learnt a good lesson.

So I just share this for your deliberation. There was a positive side beyond the sellers making money up front.

Thank you mccw - maybe persistence is the key word eh? My fear was that it would be a 5 minute wonder like so many things with a 6 year old and we would have wasted 3000 baht.

Lapin - going up from Rimping Village past Dukes to the traffic lights, take a right (going away from Ping River) then first right after a few hundred metres and Lapin is on the right about 50 metres down. Well worth finding. They are on FB

This thread, which started on a positive note, quickly degenerated into such a free-for-all of childish nastiness that it brought the nannies into the room to rap knuckles.

Contemporary Chiang Mai, even with all its negatives, is a youthful lively place, with none of the desperation and despair that characterize so many other cities.

There is another dimension worth looking at, and that is the 700+ years of accomplishment, turmoil, war, and disaster that the Kohn Muang have experienced and ultimately survived.

Most of what is currently written about Chiang Mai history and culture is in short articles aimed at the tourist trade. Factual as far as they go, but they don't go very far.

This situation contrasts sharply with the many intelligent and perceptive first-person accounts left by visitors and residents in the past.

A careful study of this unique history would certainly leave anyone "Impressed by Chiang Mai."

I certainly agree with you on that. But to be honest you can do a lot of that else where. I think the poster was talking about today and I completely agree with you on

For people like myself negatives can be a positive because they help me identify who I am and where I came from. The result being even more appreciation for Chiang Mai. Don't get me wrong. I have more than enough to live back where I come from but to be honest the nanny state just doesn't sit well with me.

Thighlander,

CB

Are you talking about the annual nude bike ride in Freemont a district in Seattle. They have a different way there. They proudly call themselves Freemonsters.

If I remember correctly they have a large statue of Lenin there also.

These are things one learns to forgo to live in Chiang Mai. No big deal lot's of other interesting things that you would not expect to find in the States.

I believe that the west has sent over a toy run for bikers of all kinds to get toys for kids. Not sure of that been awhile since I saw it mentioned.

Btw beau

Thank you mccw - maybe persistence is the key word eh? My fear was that it would be a 5 minute wonder like so many things with a 6 year old and we would have wasted 3000 baht.

Lapin - going up from Rimping Village past Dukes to the traffic lights, take a right (going away from Ping River) then first right after a few hundred metres and Lapin is on the right about 50 metres down. Well worth finding. They are on FB

Yep

"Persistently" saying at the point of giving up - "come on boys- I spent 3000bht on these ; if you don't stick at it - no more toys ever again ! "

haha

That did the trick

• Like 1

Btw beau

Just wanted to throw my two cents in here or two satang if it is what you prefer.

I agree with you both on Promenada it is a great mall to bad they don't have more foot traffic as it would be a big help to the business. I find the mall much more interesting than Maya. It also has a Dukes and other good eating restaurants. Not big on Japanese but I have heard it is excellent there. I do believe the builders built it with an eye to the future growth of the area.

As for Lapin. I had heard of them but could never really find them. Now I got it down cold. I have often walked by them but never saw the name. Any one coming from the old city cross the Narrowt bridge their is a stop light there go through it and take the first right. Just a short distance. A little bit farther down past Lapin is a right hand turn that goes back to the river. Just a short way down it is Love at First Bite a bakery with some great pies , cakes and pastries. The menu is not much for meals but the pastries are great. A really big selection.

Thighlander,

CB

Oh my, you forgot to mention more beggers than Bangkok. But yes, Portlandia does have its charms.

Johns

Don't I get credit for their beggars with my "feed the homeless" comment? Thailand does a great job with keeping beggars to a minimum by institutionalizing or kept locked up in remote family villages out of the public eye...image is everything in Thailand...

My sarcastic post was towards a one-track mind poster who was ragging on Portland because it doesn't have beautiful people like Newport Beach or Santa Barbara...

I chose Portland as an alternative to CM b\c of comparable size geography subcultures and value...

CB

Johns

Don't I get credit for their beggars with my "feed the homeless" comment? Thailand does a great job with keeping beggars to a minimum by institutionalizing or kept locked up in remote family villages out of the public eye...image is everything in Thailand...

My sarcastic post was towards a one-track mind poster who was ragging on Portland because it doesn't have beautiful people like Newport Beach or Santa Barbara...

I chose Portland as an alternative to CM b\c of comparable size geography subcultures and value...

CB

yeh but in reality we are all here for the weather

so why not pick somewhere with similar weather

portland is naff by any criteria you want to use