China ready for role in projects

Lite Beer

NOTE TO USA: great job with your condemnation of Thailand over recent months . . . you've succeeded in pushing them even further into the arms of China, the polar opposite of what you actually want. Thumbs up on that one.

what has America got to loose here, it's not as if America had a high tech train industry lobbing for this contract.

America has lost its only ally in the region. I had expected trouble after an exercise in Cobra Gold went horrifically wrong which led to a wide body jet being shot out of the sky over the Gulf of Thailand and led to one of the biggest coverups in human history.

And they managed to cover up or remove all the debris too? Impressive.

Don't worry, you're soon get used to the idea that some posters will post anything without corroboration, or based on conspiracy theories such as this one.

Well better late than never. I take this as a tardy apology for your continued insistence that Thaksin's lawyer Nopphadol acted alone without checking with his boss when the PTP share saga and mega bucks reward shennanigans unfolded. Well done mate, I never expected you to man up.

No wonder you believe crackpot theories if you make that inference from my post.

I don't object so much to the US losing any leverage to China in these matters. I do fear actual Chinese participation in Thai infrastructure projects. Things are already built shoddily enough in this country without importing the technology and expertise from China that results in Tofu bridges, buildings, and railroad.

I thought the high speed rail was removed from the table....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are correct it was.

China was talking about a proposed joint venture for high speed rail from Malaysia to Laos.

They want to eventually connect Singapore to China by high speed rail. This was a project that they proposed to the I believe it was the Democrats at the time.

They were proposing a good product double track away from cities as much as possible bridges over highways rather than crossings. I believe that Japan and China were the two countries interested in the actual building of it. France had been originally but dropped out saying the cost was to high.

They had ruled out a spur line to Chiang Mai but said one to Chiang Rai was feasible. I believe that was the reason the PTP did not pursue the project.wai.gif

• Like 1

China understands the reason for the coup... = They understand the need for no democracy. "Thailand is in a transition period," Sihasak said. "We have to show the world that we can still move forward, especially on foreign affairs." Move forward like China? Gee, that's great! When a country that has such an appalling record in human rights wants to lead the way for you that kind of says a lot about Thailand, unfortunately.

Here is a part of the article

He said China understood that the military had to rein in the situation because the country was tilting dangerously towards major civil strife.

He said he had also explained the reasons behind the coup to western countries and assured them that Thailand still upheld democracy. However, the country needed stability and security because this was the only way democracy could be strengthened.

Seems to be a little different than your claim.

I would be very cautious when dealing with China , China's track record in Africa and Papua New Guinea has seen low standard interference with the Chinese actually trying to mussel in with Chinese shops and other industries in these countries, in new Guinea they burnt them out and the villagers rioted , the Myanmar Government threw them out, they soon realized where the dollar was and it was not from China , also the Chinese might object to not being able to own land.bah.gif

the Myanmar Government threw them out, they soon realized where the dollar was and it was not from China?

where do you get this view from?

are you saying the Burmese threw China's influence out of Myanmar?..in the last year ? 2 years?

Although China's investments in Myanmar has dropped significantly since 2011

and The United States normalized relations with Myanmar in early 2012 and then lifted most of the economic sanctions.

The expectation that Western investments would pour into Myanmar haven't come close to make up the difference in China's steep drop in investments.

the Myanmar government still needs China's trade & investments to advance any democratic reforms.

"Chinese economic activity is a significant driver of Myanmar’s growth and impacts various aspects of the country’s economy. China is not only the largest buyer of gas from Myanmar but also the source of deep-pocketed investors, numerous tourists, and affordable industrial products that fuel Myanmar’s economy." http://carnegietsinghua.org/2014/01/25/chinese-investment-is-key-to-myanmar-s-reforms/gzbk

It's true many of China's projects have benefited China more than impoverished Myanmar,that has caused protests within Myanmar & international criticism but that's what economic super powers do.

I'm sure Thailand knows the pitfalls of dealing with the West or China but sometimes one has to suck up to the big dogs for economic benefits.

But if you have some facts to back up your claims..please post & correct me.

China understands the reason for the coup... = They understand the need for no democracy. "Thailand is in a transition period," Sihasak said. "We have to show the world that we can still move forward, especially on foreign affairs." Move forward like China? Gee, that's great! When a country that has such an appalling record in human rights wants to lead the way for you that kind of says a lot about Thailand, unfortunately.

Here is a part of the article

He said China understood that the military had to rein in the situation because the country was tilting dangerously towards major civil strife.

He said he had also explained the reasons behind the coup to western countries and assured them that Thailand still upheld democracy. However, the country needed stability and security because this was the only way democracy could be strengthened.

Seems to be a little different than your claim.

That's what China said alright! And of course they have such a fantastic record reining in civil strife right? A great example to follow - a country that has NO democracy, what do they know about democracy? It doesn't exist for them. Of course they support the junta, democracy is not what China want, if it was what they wanted and what they believed in, they would be a democratic country, would they not?