Phallic Amulets in Chiang Mai

CMHomeboy78

Ralph Fitch the English adventurer who was the first farang on record to visit Chiang Mai in 1587, records in detail the practice of inserting metal balls into the penis - essentially penile implants. This seems to have been done for sexual gratification only; because he writes "the women doe desire them." Also, possibly as a way for the men to try to maintain dominance over their wives and mia nois'... on the principal that there is nothing like a good shagging to keep a woman in her place.

Fitch doesn't say anything about phallic amulets; but they are known to have existed in his time, and long before.

The subject has always interested me; and the following is a summary of what I've learned about them over the years. Additional information or anecdotes would be most welcome.

Visitors to Chiang Mai's amulet markets couldn't fail to notice the phallic amulets [palad khik] of various shapes and sizes. Made from a variety of materials, but usually wood, stone, ivory, horn, or bone. Those made from the wood of a coffin are believed to embody special powers.

It seems reasonable to assume that their use derived originally from Shiva worship in remote times, and the palad khik are related to the lingam of that Hindu God.

Historically, according to Philip Rawson [Primitive Erotic Art. London 1973], "evil spirits could be repelled by both men and women exposing their genitals to them." This relates to the Thai belief that malevolent spirits are driven away by the sight of sexual or 'immoral" objects. Rawson continues: "Phallic amulets were conceived to carry great power for good, averting disease, the evil eye, and all other supernatural disasters."

The palad khik, though often defined as a Buddhist amulet by the Thais, is never worn above the waist, because being of a sexual nature, it is considered somewhat base. Thus, it is not worn around the neck, a part of the body commanding a much higher degree of respect, and reserved for more revered amulets.

The Thai scholar Phya Anuman [Essays on Thai Folklore. Bangkok 1968] says that there is no traditional definition for the word "khik"; but the word "palad" means honored deputy or honored substitute. The term "Shiva Lung" also occasionally heard, is not applicable; it refers to the large phalluses , usually wooden, used in various forms of spirit worship, in shrines by rivers, lakes, and klongs to propitiate water spirits, and in field shrines to encourage fertility and a bountiful harvest.

The current belief held by many educated urban Thais that the wearing of the palad khik is a village practice which is rapidly disappearing is incorrect. Not only does the practice persist, but it flourishes.

The original, basic palad khik has taken on many more functions than merely protection, and has evolved into numerous forms, almost becoming a folk art.

The four predominate types are:

1. The simple erect penis with the glans well defined. Having no testicles.

2. The same basic shape with legs added; generally just the two hind legs, but sometimes all four.

3. The spread-eagle woman type; with the woman lying on her back atop the palad khik with legs spread apart.

4. The monkey-rider. This type takes two forms, [a] the monkey lies atop the palad khik clasping it, and the monkey sits erect like a jockey.

If any members have seen really good examples of the more ornate types for sale in or around Chiang Mai, I would appreciate knowing where.

Thanks for any information.

Edited by CMHomeboy78
  • Like 2

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3857

Near the entrance to Lotus and Kam Tieng flower market there is a fairly large amulet market.

Thanks for that link to the Citylife article.

The Kamtieng market is definitely a place I'll check out. I was there once a few years ago, but at that time my interest in phalluses had yet to develop fully. The article has the useful information that it's open on Thursday, from 7AM to 2PM.

I'm interested in phallic amulets as folk art objects, and the beliefs and practices connected with them as part of the traditional ways of life here.

Near the entrance to Lotus and Kam Tieng flower market there is a fairly large amulet market.

The Kamtieng market is definitely a place I'll check out. I was there once a few years ago, but at that time my interest in phalluses had yet to develop fully. The article has the useful information that it's open on Thursday, from 7AM to 2PM.

I'm interested in phallic amulets as folk art objects, and the beliefs and practices connected with them as part of the traditional ways of life here.

Right.

• Like 1

Right.

Your one-word reply was rather cryptic.

What other possible interests or uses could I have for phallic amulets?

northerndolly gave you a "like" so maybe he has found some creative uses for them as well.

Aye Right

Right.

Your one-word reply was rather cryptic.

What other possible interests or uses could I have for phallic amulets?

northerndolly gave you a "like" so maybe he has found some creative uses for them as well.

Where I come from "right" means Ok. Not cryptic at all.

Perhaps you should be looking for the anti paranoia amulet section as well.

Is this how you respond to folks trying to help you? Good luck with your search.

Try the library.

Is this how you respond to folks trying to help you? Good luck with your search.

Try the library.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... my mistake.

Try the library.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... my mistake.

No worries.

Seriously, try the museums or libraries here. Must be some info there.

• Like 1