Are Indians the new Nigerians ?

JesseFrank

I have a house for sale her in Thailand which is published online, and in the ad is mentioned, partial finance considered for the right candidate.

So far among all the responses there were 3 that consisted out of one single line. " What are the finance conditions ?" .

After informing them the terms and conditions, which are definitely not unfavorable but have a safety built in that the house only changes owner when the loan is completed, none of them has replied anymore.

All 3 responses originated from an IP address in India, and actually were the only 3 responses that came from outside Thailand.

So were these the original Nigerian scam tactics, where they hope to gain some property but have no intention whatsoever to pay for it ?

What makes it seem even remotely like a typical 419 Nigerian scam?

It's probably some Indians curious about property in Thailand, nothing more.

Maybe because none of the 3 inquired when they could have a view of the property or anything else property related ?

Just a single line reply.

Also, however there has been quite some activity in ad responses, it were the only 3 that came out of India.

Maybe because none of the 3 inquired when they could have a view of the property or anything else property related ?

Also, however there has been quite some activity in ad responses, it were the only 3 that came out of India.

They were probably hoping for financing with no money down, no payments until 2016 and low low interest.

They were probably hoping for financing with no money down, no payments until 2016 and low low interest.

It sounded though that they were English literate, so I wonder why they didn't understand thewords, PARTIAL finance considered

I don't see the foul here. You put up an ad, people responded to inquire about the financing. They wanted a little more info but didn't want to waste your time or theirs so they write a short one line inquiry. I think it's reasonable and within fair play. Now if they asked you to forward money because your great uncle that you didn't know you had had died and they were going to transfer a $100mil inheritance to you, that's a bit different.

• Like 2

They're just exhibiting some of the traits they picked up from their colonial master,which is great britain. Ever wondered where the Nigerians picked up their skills? They were taught by their colonial master.

I don't see the foul here. You put up an ad, people responded to inquire about the financing. They wanted a little more info but didn't want to waste your time or theirs so they write a short one line inquiry. I think it's reasonable and within fair play. Now if they asked you to forward money because your great uncle that you didn't know you had had died and they were going to transfer a $100mil inheritance to you, that's a bit different.

Would you inquire about the finance of a house which you haven't seen yet, so don't know if it will interest you ? From all the responses I got there were only 3 that inquired about the finance only and coincidental they all came from the same country. It were also the only 3 replies from that country.

I agree that I haven't tried to scam me out of any money yet, but that was probably because my answer was not suitable for their intentions.

I agree that I haven't tried to scam me out of any money yet, but that was probably because my answer was not suitable for their intentions.

Well yes, that's the point. If they did not do anything further because your response was unsuitable for them, that indicates it's not a scam.

You asked the question about whether I would inquire about the finances of a house that I have not seen yet, yes I would. There are more people in India these days with disposable income and go to Thailand for holiday. The Russians have tried to buy up property, and it doesn't sound out of line that an Indian would too. And yes, I have inquired about finances of a house or car or other property I haven't seen. If something is interesting on Thaivisa classifieds I don't find it poor form to send a message to inquire about further information. In the U.S. if I spot a house that looks interesting, same thing, inquire about more information. If it is not suitable just pass it up. When I list stuff up for sale, I expect that I will have to answer questions from people.

Maybe they already have enough remote controls so they do not need to view the property?

'But seriously, I think you're being paranoid about this. If I was to generalise, I would say for Indians, it's ALL about the money. If you gave a fairly decent description of the property, their priority would be the money side.

Edited by Seastallion

A long time ago I was taught by my culture to despise Nigerians, and Indians too.

Today some of my best friends are Nigerians. UK based, some have six figure incomes.

Before I expatriated, my most reliable, (and could be depended upon), and loyal friend turned out to be an Indian from the Punjab.

Ten years ago when I needed a couple hundred thousand baht cash to fix a problem while living in Pattaya no farang would help. A Thai friend gave me the cash on a handshake interest free. (he would have had me killed if I didn't repay, but the interest was zero).

Go figure.

• Like 2

Probably just being nosey as they didn't push it further, but any non-Thai would need to be married to a Thai to purchase land, through the wife of course.

You're probably right about that, but it is a bit striking that I receive only 3 responses from outside Thailand, and that all three come from India and have the same subject.

It are also the only three responses that inquired about the finance only.

Land can be registered in company name, so no Thai wife needed.

Probably just being nosey as they didn't push it further, but any non-Thai would need to be married to a Thai to purchase land, through the wife of course.

You're probably right about that, but it is a bit striking that I receive only 3 responses from outside Thailand, and that all three come from India and have the same subject.

It are also the only three responses that inquired about the finance only.

Land can be registered in company name, so no Thai wife needed.

Shoot - I wish you'd told me that 20 years ago !!

CLOSED

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 2