Infected face.....which antibiotic?

One of my dogs got involved in a fight and has had a badly swollen face three days.

This evening it's worse and I'd like to do something.

He's a really lovely boy but has been known to bite and has never been in a car.

Can I give him an antibiotic in sausage or something?

Which one and how much? (quite a big dog same size Labrador or so)

Scooby ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1405684340.503370.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

post-120824-14056843437285_thumb.jpg

Edited by cheeryble

You really need to see a veterinarian. If it appears worse that probably means the infection is getting worse or there may be some bleeding, which may be causing systemic issues as well. If you try to treat him yourself you'll probably waste money using topical drugs meant for people and you won't be solving the problem or helping him. If you can't transport him to a vet, at least show the vet the picture and explain what the problem is to get the appropriate medicine ... and if you're in a rural area there might be vets who make "house calls" for farm animals.

Edited by Suradit69

Someone from where I live said they'd go to the small animal hospital and try to get advice or help.

If they don't I'll give him amoxicillin 250mg tomorrow.

Thanks.

I don't have the greatest confidence in vets here after my cat died in the greatest discomfort from a blocked urethra caused by infection.

The vet had examined it a day or two before. Imagine missing that,

He has only one problem.

He has a habitual defensive reaction if approached fast from a high angle.

I personally don't even think about it any more and all my neighbours know about him and no problem he's actually very friendly.

He actually nipped me at first, but he seemed such lovely boy I gave him a chance.

Others in my community have like me grown to become very fond of him and it outweighs the problem and he now has an extended family who have been calling and visiting me to check he's OK.

My number one dog Jack and Scooby have grown to be compatriots and love to gallop either side of me as I ride up and down the hill near home.

I got amoxicillin to take to the house this morning and he has eaten two now, but happily it looks like his immune reaction has started working and he was brighter already and less swollen.

Why would you want to keep a dog that is a known biter?

Same reason some people stayed married to crazy bitch%s.

My dog will bite anyone apart from me, my wife and her Mum. But there is no way I would ever get rid of him.

Love is blind :)