Gay Words In Thai

kunjet

There's a paperback book called 'Thai for Gay Tourists' by Saksit Pakdeesiam, published by Paiboon Publishing, which has addresses in Berkeley, California, and Bangkok. I bought my copy in London, but I think it is available in Bangkok. This has short articles on a variety of subjects (not very impressive), but it is mainly a dictionary of words used by Thais and Thai gays in connection with sex. It gives the English, a transliteration and the Thai word or expression (in Thai script) for almost any sexual and physical expression and a lot of gay slang. It tries to distinguish between the various levels of vulgarity or offensiveness of the Thai words. Two warnings: it is VERY explicit, so not for the faint-hearted or very fastidious; I am not recommending it's accuracy or correctness. I have seen doubts about it's accuracy expressed on another forum. Another point: it seems to have the Thai for all sorts of things that I'm pretty sure only a handful of Thais would ever consider doing!

• 3 weeks later...

The equivalent word for homosexual is 'rak ruam ped' (love same sex). It's kinda technical term used by mad shrinks (especially those homophobia). I personally think 'gay' is the safe word to use. Asking 'are you gay?' is ok because it sounds more like 'do you like men?'. But asking 'are you rak-ruam-ped?' sounds more like 'are you sick?' to me.

There is no direct equivalent to transgender that I know of though. It might be something like 'kra-toey pah laew' (already operated ladyboys).

Best way is not to categorized them at all. Think of them as a free spirit. As long as they are not tied down (married), they can do anything they like 'in private'.

Is it necessary to put people in labelled basket?

I like and agree with what you posted, -jr-. I think, if you are serious about it, "Rak Ruam Pade", though technical/medical Thai term, is discriminating and misleading since it focuses only on the act of having sexual intercourse. However, it seems it is has been used as a norm when addressing homosexual formally in Thailand. The words, in literal sense, is not appropriate, IMHO, but I can't come up with any thing better and comprehensive in Thai either.

Also, about transgender, I think a probably more polite word is "Sao Prapade Song" (woman of the second kind). This would, of course, encompass both transvestites and transexuals. I am sure there is a vocab for each out there, but probably not as widely used or known as Sao Prapade Song.

I don't like labelling either, because it relies too much on stereotype, but you have to admit it serves its purpose.