Is this damaged?

Just bought a 4 yr old car. Cheap as chips runabout.

The top of one of the battery terminals shows chalky corrosion to my eyes.

Went for a few test drives, then drove 160km home, stopping off twice and started and drove without any issues.

So, is the connector part to the top of the battery terminal damaged?

The red one (I removed the cover for the photo) is fine).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Secondary question:

Passenger door doesn't open from the inside. The handle is fully loose, ie not connected to anything. Opens fine from the outside. I presume that this is likely a case of a cable not being attached to the inside handle, and that taking off the panel and connecting a cable up shouldn't be too much trouble for the local mechanic. Or is that not how inside door handles work nowadays. Central locking and all electric windows work perfectly.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Or just pour hot near boiling water over the battery terminal. Then as stated.

It is a good idea to turn the hose on the battery carrier too to wash away any spilled acid. If you want to be even safer if there is corrosion there clean it and give it a quick repaint....better than having the battery come loose if you do have an accident.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

For the battery terminal. clean it with a baking soda water solution, use a tooth brush to scrub.

when clean dry it off and smear petroleum jelly on the post and around the base, fit terminal back on.... finished.

door handle... 4 year old car.... prolly a plastic part has broken inside the door.

Pretty much exactly what this step by step recommends:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Corroded-Car-Battery-Terminals

Unscrewing and taking off the inside door handle, the actual handle is broken on the inside, the piece that connects to the rod/cable snapped off the handle. So for this I guess I'll be calling a dealership and seeing if I can order just the handle piece.

For the battery terminal. clean it with a baking soda water solution, use a tooth brush to scrub.

when clean dry it off and smear petroleum jelly on the post and around the base, fit terminal back on.... finished.

door handle... 4 year old car.... prolly a plastic part has broken inside the door.

Yes, Coca Cola/Pepsi works the best actually and quickly, but this is also fine.. Remove from the battery and let it soak w bit in either of these solutions, the Coke/Pepsi suggestion or the bicarb suggestion..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hey, do you mind me asking what motor you got and how much you got it for? I got one a while back but was thinking of getting a cheap motor to fix up in my spair time, thnx

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, Coca Cola/Pepsi works the best actually and quickly, but this is also fine.. Remove from the battery and let it soak w bit in either of these solutions, the Coke/Pepsi suggestion or the bicarb suggestion..

Ha you beat me this time! Yep. Coca cola or Pepsi. Pour a little on and wait, rinse with more etc. Give the whole battery top a good soaking. Baking soda is best but Coca cola easier to find.

I think I'll go for the baking soda and water mix, let dry and cover in Vaseline.

Will also check the battery for leaks. I guess a battery is cheap enough, though every electric in the car is working absolutely perfectly with all lights and instruments lit up like new, and it starting perfectly every time I reckon she's fine.

160k is a very good price, cheap.

Thanks.

Was first advertized at 200k, then dropped to 170k, I rang and offered 160k cash for immediate sale, they reluctantly agreed.

Good price for Thailand, I know you cannot compare but I resent paying these kind of prices in some ways when you see some of the cheap cars for sale in the uk, but hey we are not in the uk I guess, nice motor though

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I think I'll go for the baking soda and water mix, let dry and cover in Vaseline.

You don't mix the baking soda with water!

What you do is to pour water onto the terminal, because it is usually only one, to dampen the "corrosion". Let the surface water run off. Then sprinkle/spoon on the baking soda.

When the fizzing stops you are done.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

When the fizzling stops you use the brush to scrub off the corrosion.. I would also have the terminal off when doing this so the bicarb can get to the post and the inside of the terminal and you can brush those surfaces otherwise you're mostly just cleaning the outside for looks. You can get a 3 pack set of cheap brushes at most kiosks or stores use the stainless brush.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1