Wood handicraft in Chiang Mai

Choonpon

Have you tried Baan Twaey? Not sure of the spelling, but it's not really a tourist place. Buyers from around the world buy from there for their stores. All kinds of wood items from furniture to statues. Furniture manufacturer s are there also.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have you tried Baan Twaey? Not sure of the spelling, but it's not really a tourist place. Buyers from around the world buy from there for their stores. All kinds of wood items from furniture to statues. Furniture manufacturer s are there also.

Ban Tawai... that's the best advice anybody could give you, Choonpon. Go for it!

Ban Tawai... that's the best advice anybody could give you, Choonpon. Go for it!
Ban tawai are the outlets, the real craftsmen and ladies are in san patong, try the yuwa wood carving villages.

On my regular jaunts out that way there is man carving a 3m long elephant from what appears to be teak. He has been at it for three weeks and now looking incredible.

Edited by eyecatcher

Can you advise location of this place? Thank you.

Ban tawai are the outlets, the real craftsmen and ladies are in san patong, try the yuwa wood carving villages.

On my regular jaunts out that way there is man carving a 3m long elephant from what appears to be teak. He has been at it for three weeks and now looking incredible.

Would you please direct me how to go there? I'm staying at the night market. Thank you.

The easiest way is to take the canal road from suthep end and go all the way to the very end. The road actually runs out.

Take the left turn and follow that new road for about 2km the carving centre is along the road.

The guy I see carving the elephant is just on the lane through the back of the local market there.

• Like 1

I was fortunate when I first got here to have a tuk tuk driver who speaks English. I call him exclusively. His rates are like everyone elses, but his availability is excellent. I have rented him for a full 8 hr day for 1000b. He takes you where you want to go, recommends similar places you may not know about and WAITS FOR YOU. Takes a load off me trying to play charades with drivers. Just to give you an idea. After my Dr appt I was flabbergasted to see my meds were 15000b. He took the names of meds and after he dropped me at home he stopped at several pharmacies on his way home trying to find me a better deal. When I had to get everything set up for my apt. He went everywhere with me to translate: banks, cable, internet, water delivery, and just anything I asked him too. I started taking walks until I couldn't walk any further and the conversation goes something like this, "Sak can you come get me?" "Where are you?", "I don't know", "Debbie, give the phone to a Thai". Then I just wait. Farang bah.

Sak 0835802530. Tell him Debbie sent you.

• Like 1