Best PC to the TV Video Stream Device

Pinot

I want to stream video from my PC to my TV. I download torrents and I'm only interested in viewing them over wifi. What is the best device to do that? 

I ordered a Chromecast device today to try it out but there are alternatives. I'm not interested in Netflix etc. 

Your options to stream from your computer or from the Internet:

If both the Computer and the TV each have HDMI connectors...

direct HDMI cable connection (no WiFi needed), connect the two and use the TV as a duplicate or second monitor to the computer. 

Chromecast 

HDMI dongle, plays audio/video content on a high-definition display by directly streaming it via Wi-Fi from the Internet or a local network.  Note, a Chromecast requires a second compatible device to initiate any stream connection (a PC will do).

Android A/VPlayer

An HDMI 'stick' or small STB can be used to emulate a Chromecast, but can also be used independently or access media on a local storage device (USB or LAN) or access media stream via specialty Internet access apps (IPTV, XBMC)

amazon FireTV or apple TV

Specialty STB/consoles that can be used to remotely play media on local storage (USB or LAN) or access media via the Internet. 

Game console

Many console OSes can be modified to be used as high-end Media Players

SmartTV

Normally I don't recommend this as the integrated 'smart' part of the TV is obsolete the day you buy it (no upgrade), but if you have one that has Internet or WiFi it 'may' have the capability to receive streams over it's Internet/WiFi connection.  Expect many limitations if you go this route.

• Like 2

^ When u connect the TV to the computer, you can read almost any file (can't read a MP4 file on USB plugged directly to the TV for example), you can select the size of the display, chose the language and the subtitles. Can u do that with all the option u listed above ? Any other function that may be available with one option and not with the others ?

Your options to stream from your computer or from the Internet:

If both the Computer and the TV each have HDMI connectors...

direct HDMI cable connection (no WiFi needed), connect the two and use the TV as a duplicate or second monitor to the computer. 

Chromecast 

HDMI dongle, plays audio/video content on a high-definition display by directly streaming it via Wi-Fi from the Internet or a local network.  Note, a Chromecast requires a second compatible device to initiate any stream connection (a PC will do).

Android A/VPlayer

An HDMI 'stick' or small STB can be used to emulate a Chromecast, but can also be used independently or access media on a local storage device (USB or LAN) or access media stream via specialty Internet access apps (IPTV, XBMC)

amazon FireTV or apple TV

Specialty STB/consoles that can be used to remotely play media on local storage (USB or LAN) or access media via the Internet. 

Game console

Many console OSes can be modified to be used as high-end Media Players

SmartTV

Normally I don't recommend this as the integrated 'smart' part of the TV is obsolete the day you buy it (no upgrade), but if you have one that has Internet or WiFi it 'may' have the capability to receive streams over it's Internet/WiFi connection.  Expect many limitations if you go this route.

Gold star for most complete answer thumbsup.gif

Thanks RichCor. This is why I've ordered a Chromecast. Eliminating HDMI cables would seem to be worth the price of admission. That was the best solution I've found. There is also plenty of additional content (like Netflix with more coming). 

I'll follow-up here when I give it a spin in the next few days. At 1600 baht (Lazada) it's a no-brainer, if it works. 

Finding out about this stuff isn't easy in LOS. You're not going to go into PowerBuy and have it explained (no have). There are a number of alternatives including Roku and AppleTV. The Roku 3 is probably a good alternative but unavailable here. I'll be heading to the USA next month to check out other solutions.

Android A/V player is available but not much information available. 

The SmartTV seems like a rip off when you consider how much more you're paying vs the add-on devices.

I'm also intriqued by the Western Digital TV Live Hub which looks particularly cool with 1 TB of onboard storage. Google or check out a review at  http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1262&Review=Western+Digital+WD+TV+Live+Hub about 7000 baht here. 

I'm also intriqued by the Western Digital TV Live Hub which looks particularly cool with 1 TB of onboard storage. Google or check out a review at  http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1262&Review=Western+Digital+WD+TV+Live+Hub about 7000 baht here. 

I bought one of these a few years ago when they first came out.

Pros:
Very easy to use - simple UI anyone can understand

Supports playing over DLNA or network shares

Plays everything. I mean, everything.

Good support for poster thumbnails and live previews.

Cons:

UI is a little slow/laggy by today's standards.

Copying content from a USB drive to the local drive is limited by USB 2.0 speeds

No WiFi built in

Doesn't seem to get any updates anymore, and bundled apps are getting a bit stale.

It;s still good "it just works" device, but ours gets very little use now - we've all moved on from stored content to streaming content... Still it gets some use as a music & music video player though.

Edited by IMHO

I've got a WD TV Live player, with wireless.  No hard drive attached.  I try to only watch full 1080 HD content.  Doing wireless streaming from my desktop gives me problems.  Maybe if the router was closer, but that's not possible for me.  And of course streaming live content is always hit and miss here.  Especially HD (which I need for the surround sound).

I love the WD player.  Relatively easy to use.  I've got 2.  One I've had for 4 years and still going strong.

It will be interesting to hear back from you after you've played around with this device a bit!

Thanks RichCor. This is why I've ordered a Chromecast. Eliminating HDMI cables would seem to be worth the price of admission. That was the best solution I've found. There is also plenty of additional content (like Netflix with more coming). 

I'll follow-up here when I give it a spin in the next few days. At 1600 baht (Lazada) it's a no-brainer, if it works. 

Finding out about this stuff isn't easy in LOS. You're not going to go into PowerBuy and have it explained (no have). There are a number of alternatives including Roku and AppleTV. The Roku 3 is probably a good alternative but unavailable here. I'll be heading to the USA next month to check out other solutions.

Android A/V player is available but not much information available. 

The SmartTV seems like a rip off when you consider how much more you're paying vs the add-on devices.

Hi Pinot -- It is indeed to tough to find solution-oriented information at a shop in LOS but maybe we can help... are you only looking for a PC-to-TV streaming solution or media device-to-TV solution (like Roku, etc. that you mentioned)? There are other strong alternatives to consider that may not be getting addressed here... Cheers

There is a limitation on Chromecast as the apps you use to Cast must be Chromecast compatible. Media players are a bit thin on the ground.

I find it great for watching FilmOn, Popcorn Time, etc. (Anything you can play in Chrome can be Cast for example).

https://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

VLC have announced they will support it, which will drive sales very quickly I would think.

http://www.omgchrome.com/vlc-chromecast-support-coming-android-ios-desktop/

Trouble is that is 18+months out of date.

Which is light years in technology terms.

biggrin.png

I'll have a gander and see if there's something new. I'm interested in something like that myself, the Brite-View is great but something that will run off the TV USB port is a nice idea.

You will be happy with the chrome cast. Perfect solution for what you want to do.
Install plex on your computer and set up the folders you want to stream. Then you can sit in front of your TV and control everything with your phone using the plex app.

Trouble is that is 18+months out of date.

Which is light years in technology terms.

biggrin.png

I'll have a gander and see if there's something new. I'm interested in something like that myself, the Brite-View is great but something that will run off the TV USB port is a nice idea.

Looks like this is the latest iteration.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDKIT-Wireless-Digital-Channel/dp/B00630WKGI

the WD TV live does play everything...

but i have moved on to a Plex server ( mine's a synology network drive, yours could be on your pc) and a Plex client called Serenity on an .android box, Minix Neo x8-h available at Fortune town and no doubt elsewhere.

The Minix can also airlay from apple stuff to your tv, and hardware decodes almost all formats.

Plex works great - gets all metadata fro yoru movies and tv shows, and maintains last played positon and watched/uneatched status whether you view on the Plex client on a tv or the client on an ipad or android tablet etc.

subtitles etc etc - google plex forums, and check out here also to get Plex and mx player to decode DTS audio, very easy.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/81438-dts-audio-with-serenity/

Note , buyong in bangkok you should get the wireless Minix air mouse with it 'free' - the usual IR remote is also there but the built in ir recevier is very picky/weak, so the wireless remote is far better ( or get a Flirc usb IR dongle like i have t use with a logitech harmony remote)

Alos if your movie files are 'big' 1080p etc, then you may want to use ethernet rather than relying on wireless, and the Minix has an ethernet port. Currently its speed is slow due to poor implementation, but next software update should fix it and you can use powerline ethernet adaptors to get consistent speed.

Edited by coops

I would be investing my time and energy in a HTPC like XBMC (free from XBMC.org) runs rings around plex and any WD device and you can stream TV as well like this example;

screenshot032.png?m=1407390566 

Finally received the Chromecast through Lazada. It was shipped from Singapore, shipping included for 1600 baht. Plugged it in t the TV and it upgraded itself first and then went though the setup step by step. Very easy, elegant really. I downloaded the extension that the Chrome browser uses to Chromecast and pulled up Youtube and...it worked, perfectly. Then I downloaded and installed Plex Media server. I showed Plex where my downloads were, fired up a Daily Show episode and that worked perfectly. So, I originally asked how do you stream video over wifi? Chromecast is inexpensive and works well. There are other features that I haven't got into yet. VLC should have their app working soon which will probably be easier than Plex but it's not an issue.

One thing is that the picture on the computer is ahead (synch wise) of the TV. That doesn't effect anything and you can be browsing the internet in another tab while the video is streaming to the TV. Sound is only on the TV. 

Thanks for all the additional info and suggestions. I plan on getting another Chromecast when I'm in the US next month for another TV. It's less expensive there, like $35. 

• Like 1

Finally received the Chromecast through Lazada. It was shipped from Singapore, shipping included for 1600 baht. Plugged it in t the TV and it upgraded itself first and then went though the setup step by step. Very easy, elegant really. I downloaded the extension that the Chrome browser uses to Chromecast and pulled up Youtube and...it worked, perfectly. Then I downloaded and installed Plex Media server. I showed Plex where my downloads were, fired up a Daily Show episode and that worked perfectly. So, I originally asked how do you stream video over wifi? Chromecast is inexpensive and works well. There are other features that I haven't got into yet. VLC should have their app working soon which will probably be easier than Plex but it's not an issue.

One thing is that the picture on the computer is ahead (synch wise) of the TV. That doesn't effect anything and you can be browsing the internet in another tab while the video is streaming to the TV. Sound is only on the TV. 

Thanks for all the additional info and suggestions. I plan on getting another Chromecast when I'm in the US next month for another TV. It's less expensive there, like $35. 

You may want to check out the chrome extension "Videostream for Google Chromecast" while you are waiting for VLC to update.

• Like 1

I thought you would be happy with it. The best Aud$50 I ever spent was my first chrome cast..then I bought more for around the house...lol

Netflix works awesome with it ....just needs a bit of setting up if you are outside the usa .

You may want to check out the chrome extension "Videostream for Google Chromecast" while you are waiting for VLC to update.

Nice one, thanks.

I run five off one PC. Occasionally one will just drop back to the Chromecast screen, but not very often.

Five ? What are you doing with five ? There was some special promotion the day you bought them or  did you buy them for friends who later changed their mind ?

I run five off one PC. Occasionally one will just drop back to the Chromecast screen, but not very often.

Five ? What are you doing with five ? There was some special promotion the day you bought them or  did you buy them for friends who later changed their mind ?

I run five Dashboards from browser-based applications and the Web.

I can't get this to work. Plex works perfectly.

I can't get this to work. Plex works perfectly.

Strange. Worked first time for me.

Filetype perhaps?